• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anybody use stock air filters?

larsofvt

CEG'er
Looking for comments on different brands of stock type filters. Wix vs Fram vs NAPA vs Baldwin etc. I'm due for a replacement soon.
I'm not interested in the washable types at this time.

I have used Bosch, Fram, Advance, Autozone, Wix. All paper. I change them once a year, so, it doesn't really show wear or tear. The only thing I do have to warn is to be sure you install the stock air filter housing properly or you will be looking at a broken air filter "gasket" (ends) within a few weeks. :eek:

Looking for comments on different brands of stock type filters. Wix vs Fram vs NAPA vs Baldwin etc. I'm due for a replacement soon.
I'm not interested in the washable types at this time.

the cheapest filter that you can buy, fram is usually the best for the money, replace after every other oil change.

the cheapest filter that you can buy, fram is usually the best for the money, replace after every other oil change.

Uhhh, no. Please don't listen to this suggestion b/c it's excessive and not right. IIRC, you change the air filter every 12-15k miles. (not every oil change). I used to use Motorcraft and still use Motorcraft on my mother's Contour. I did not like Fram b/c I would find small debris of yellow waxy material between the paper slits. However, I have used it w/o any adverse effects.

When I performed the 30,000 mile service on the Escape recently I discovered that Purolator has a PureOne air filter as well as oil filters. It looked a lot beefier than the conventional and was only about a buck fifty more.

For the SVT I usually use Motorcraft or Purolator. The one time I used a Fram I found the glue had not held and it was coming apart.

Uhhh, no. Please don't listen to this suggestion b/c it's excessive and not right. IIRC, you change the air filter every 12-15k miles. (not every oil change). I used to use Motorcraft and still use Motorcraft on my mother's Contour. I did not like Fram b/c I would find small debris of yellow waxy material between the paper slits. However, I have used it w/o any adverse effects.

Every other oil change is aggressive but for about $10 a piece, the Frams do their job. It keeps you getting the best mileage and performance out of your car longer. Every other oil change if you're driving your car the average mileage is only about $60 a year. Go for it.

The paper air filter change interval depends greatly on conditions. If you drive a lot of in dusty conditions, i.e., construction sites; then sometimes it may be as often as every oil change. I have had to do that before when I used to drive (work) in active construction sites (my Contour changes its color to a "dirty gold" after a few hours at the site due to dust being stirred up). For the most part, once a year, 12K miles or so is considered very good maintenance practice.

I change my air filter every 15,000 miles. At that point it is still very servicable just no longer at it's prime. I consider 15,000 miles to be agressive maintenance, especially since factory recommended interval on most cars today is around 30,000 miles.

i do , nice & clean ford parts !

reason being , i have heard the K&N doesn't offer much added HP on a Duratec . the big gains are in the exhaust side ( ypipe , rez , etc )

& the adaptor needed , not like that comes with the filter right !

I'm convinced that my K&N was causing my IAC on my '95 to poop out annually. I've only used paper filters on my '97 and the IAC hasn't had the same problems. I read on some Mustang site something about K&Ns and faulty IACs, and in retrospect it makes so much sense.

Back