• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intake Measurements

CodyTRX

CEG'er
Here's some measurements that I've made for myself.
Stock UIM Opening - 57.1mm
Stock 2.5L TB - 54.1mm
2.5L TB Gasket - 60.3mm
3L/SVT TB Gasket - 63.5mm

Does anyone have the SVT intake inlet size? I'd like to know just for informations sake. I could get the SVT inlet size myself but I'd rather get that info from you guys so I don't have to go outside in the <25 degree weather, lol. I find it strange that the stock TB is actually a few mm smaller than the stock inlet. I was just wondering if the same applies for the SVT intake and TB. You could probably put a SVT TB on a stock manifold and see SOME gains considering the stock TB is a bottleneck.

Better yet, could anyone get me the inlet size for a stock manifold that's been Extrude Honed? I'll be your friend forever! To me, it would be ideal to have a port-matched to intake manifold TB. It's awesome for flow and velocity is perfect. Going by the stock measurements - the TB is actually smaller than the inlet - :nonono:

Cool stuff!

Huh, this is useful info. If you replace a v6 TB with an SVT TB you would likely need to port the UIM inlet. The problem you would run into is just like replacing an SVT TB with the 65mm TB, it may actually be too open and negatively affect air flow velocity, possibly causing a loss of power. :shrug: Just a thought.

I'm wondering why the throttle bodies for both manifolds are smaller than the inlets? Is this a trick to keep airflow velocity up? Or would it be okay to use a SVT TB on a stock manifold and possible a 65mm TB on an SVT UIM since they are more true to each manifold? Input welcomed!

:confused:

I'm wondering why the throttle bodies for both manifolds are smaller than the inlets? Is this a trick to keep airflow velocity up? Or would it be okay to use a SVT TB on a stock manifold and possible a 65mm TB on an SVT UIM since they are more true to each manifold? Input welcomed!

:confused:

Chalk that up to the "why did they do that?" list. Yes, you can use one that is more "true" to the manifold. The problem with that is if you don't have other mods that would increase the need for air then this would be wasted, if not create a loss of power becaue of turbulence. Basically this could be done, but it needs to be as a supporting modification. If you don't have a heavily modded 2.5 then your best bet would just be to optimize the factory TB.

Zetec tb is actually larger then the 2.5L tb... by 1-1.25mm.

I was shocked when i plated both tb plates on top of one another.

Interesting. Is that so it can feed 4 runners in a row opposed to 3 on each side of a v6 UIM? Don't laugh, I'm no expert as you can see...

Interesting. Is that so it can feed 4 runners in a row opposed to 3 on each side of a v6 UIM? Don't laugh, I'm no expert as you can see...

Well the contour uim is split (hence split port). The 4cly uim plenum is larger and the runners are larger in size so the tb used to maximize air flow would be correct for it's size.

We all have known the stock se tb is way to small for the 2.5L.

I am still amazed thats it's a bit larger.
The contour se tb is already half shafted.
The zetec is complete.

Well the contour uim is split (hence split port). The 4cly uim plenum is larger and the runners are larger in size so the tb used to maximize air flow would be correct for it's size.

We all have known the stock se tb is way to small for the 2.5L.

I am still amazed thats it's a bit larger.
The contour se tb is already half shafted.
The zetec is complete.
Wow. I never took my caliper and measured it. It's tiny! :laugh:

I have a polished intake that needs Extrude Honed. I've just started my new job and I'm not going to be able to send it to E.H for a little while and probably wouldn't unless we could organize a GB. I'm actually contemplating to go on and port the manifold to a 60mm opening to ensure a perfect match to a SVT TB. That's not too extravagent, I mean, the opening is already 57mm. In the future the inside could still be E.H'd.

While I'm using the polished stock(ish) intake I could be bead blasting, sanding and polishing the SVT UIM. In the end I could re-use the SVT UIM and sell the stock intake to one of you guys. Then, we all win! lol. I have some things I'd like to do to the SVT UIM that I didn't get to do on the polished manifold I have now like removing those front and rear bars. Just a ton of work...

Interesting...now I'm not an expert by any means on fluid mechanics NOT involving water (damn civil engineering :laugh:), but just because there is a slight restriction at the TB does not mean the total flow will be reduced. Of course I'm assuming that the Duratec intake is slightly reduced in diameter at the TB, correct me if I'm wrong. Considering the nature of the Duratec UIM, I would find it necessary to accelerate the air as it first enters the UIM, which would explain the smaller TB. Smaller cross-sectional area = greater velocity.

Back