• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intake idea

Yea i was thinkin something along those lines. I'll let you guys know once I have a final design down. Right now I'm working out the physics. I basically want air to go into the scoop, filter through increasingly smaller pipe to up the air velocity and then shoot right into the end of the filter. I just need to work the box to catch water and debris into it and I'm set with a design. I'll prob spend some time on autocad and a calculator tonight:crazy:

I like this idea.. heres my thought..

looking from left fender in. Sorry about the crappy detail...
ramair.jpg

How much room is there under the filter for that ductwork? Wouldn't the fender be right there?

Nah. Just gotta move the fusebox and it should be fine. I heard about how you can bolt the fusebox UPSIDE DOWN underneath the battery! Granted, it'd be tough to get to, but you don't need to get at it too often, and if the hood is open, then it'd be easy to get to because the ductwork will lift with the hood and leave you with easy access. The one problem I have with the design above is that I still think lots of water will go into the filter at high speeds, just forcing it's way through that curl...

Not if its the ribbed rubber tubing like the stock piece from the MAF to the TB, water will get caught in the ribs and then just trickle back down to the box.

Doesn't that apply to everything anyone's ever done to a Contour?

No, headers are good, nitrous is good etc.

Cutting open your hood to get some colder air is going to maybe net you 1-2HP in cooler IAT's.

If you want to spend the time and money then go ahead, im just telling you the money and effort will probably be better spent somewhere else.

There is ductwork underneath the hood scoop routing air to the intake... :rolleyes:

Took me forever to find it, but here's a dark pic of the ductwork. Excellent stuff if you ask me.
HPIM0647.jpg

Doesn't the air entering the engine bay from the grill and under the hood cause turbulance in the duct work, hence defeating the purpose???

Either stopping cooler air from entering or blowing the hot engine air back toward the filter???

Last edited:
Well the duct work is an isolated system, only open at the scoop and at that rectangular opening by the filter...:shrug:

ill try to get a picture theres a kid at UTI night classes thats done this. he has a black 98 with a functional scoop and a opening in the hood to cool his supercharger (not functional anymore) he had some kind of supercharger and they tryed getting more boost from it and it blew a piston, so now its got a 2.5L crate motor but he still has the same hood.

ill try to get a pic soon.

ill try to get a picture theres a kid at UTI night classes thats done this. he has a black 98 with a functional scoop and a opening in the hood to cool his supercharger (not functional anymore) he had some kind of supercharger and they tryed getting more boost from it and it blew a piston, so now its got a 2.5L crate motor but he still has the same hood.

ill try to get a pic soon.

Is he at the UTI in Glendale Heights Ill???

Last edited:
why not just pick up a cougar cold air intake? less work, and you don't really have to worry about water. also use AEM's bypass filter for water. just like goonz did.

Why not just do things the hard way so you're car gets the same result in a totally different manner? :cool: Hood Scoop FTW. Do it, don't listen to others, and rip around in style when its done. :laugh:

Oh but avoid plastic baggies that people throw out there window on the highway. :nonono:

Why not just do things the hard way so you're car gets the same result in a totally different manner? :cool: Hood Scoop FTW. Do it, don't listen to others, and rip around in style when its done. :laugh:

Oh but avoid plastic baggies that people throw out there window on the highway. :nonono:

Ok about plastic baggies... I was driving down 309 last week heading toward Wilkes-barre and all of a sudden I see this black garbage bag flying around in the road. Keep in mind this is during rush hour and there are plenty of other cars around me. Well guess which car this bag decides to fly into? ME! And guess what? It got stuck to my front left headlight. Of all cars! ME! Talk about embarrassing when you are driving down the highway with a garbage bag flapping in the wind on the front of your car:bah:
Worst part is it was wedged in there so good the only way to get it off was to pull off the road and get out of the car!

Ok, first off I don't think it will be worth your time and money. Without doing wind tunnel testing and dyno testing, how will you ever know. I just got done building a Mustang for road racing and due to the intake and carb we had to put a hood scoop to make it fit. The question came as to mount the hood scoop facing forwards or backwards. The hood scoop is about 1.5" tall. After doing some aerodynamic testing, we found out that it didn't matter. No air was going into the scoop.

Due to the boundary layer the laminar air flow, the good airflow you want, was already above the scoop. To make it work we need the scoop to be about 3" tall, well that wasn't going to happen. Instead what we did was duct air from the fenders into the engine. We drove the car for about two hours in the rain and no water was on the air cleaner or even in the engine bay. We also have a lot of shrouding for engine cooling.

Also keep in mind that air will always take the path of least resistance. So if you drill holes to get water out, what have you gained? Also if you drill holes in the bottom, convection says that hot air will rise, and that means that hot engine air will go through the holes you just drilled and back into the engine.

You could look into a NACA duct for the hood, that would work. Just make sure you do your math right to make sure you get the correct amount of airflow. There are some other problems with that if you are going to use it for day to day driving, but I am not going to get into that right now.

Personally I would run the factory SVT air box and just pull the air from the fender like it already does. Just put a really good filter in and call it done.

Years ago we were building a Focus for racing and we tried about 4 different intakes and the best one with the most amount of gain across the power band was the factory air box with a ITG filter, bigger tube going from the factory front scoop to the air box and a better tube going from the air box to the TB with a flex joint. We also made heat shields for the intake tubes. No matter the temp outside, rain or no rain, how long we sat in the pits before going out, it always gave us good power.

Back