• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intake Heat Shield

the rubber one would burn my hand while the aluminum one felt warm.

This makes sense. The rubber shield would simply absorb all of the heat, and was slow in releasing it. The Al shield quickly dissipated its heat wherever it could, including to the incoming air.

You have some very valuable insight and data, thanks.

Metal or not.... Try driving around with the shield on a HOT day, do some idle time in traffic, spirited romps etc.

Stick your hand on the OUTSIDE of the shield (dont touch anything) and feel the heat. Stick your hand INSIDE the shield by the filter... Significantly cooler. You don't need an IR gun to see that.

Al transfers heat blah blah blah, yes it does... it probably transfers a little bit to the air through the thin part of the shield to the intake pipe that is already soaking up heat. It also dissipates far more heat to to fender, and the trans mount, and everything else it touches.

Not to mention how ugly plastic shields are... gross.

Stick your hand on the OUTSIDE of the shield (dont touch anything) and feel the heat. Stick your hand INSIDE the shield by the filter... Significantly cooler. You don't need an IR gun to see that.

This would be true of any heat shield

Al transfers heat blah blah blah, yes it does... it probably transfers a little bit to the air through the thin part of the shield to the intake pipe that is already soaking up heat. It also dissipates far more heat to to fender, and the trans mount, and everything else it touches.

How are your heatshields customarily attached to the car?

Not to mention how ugly plastic shields are... gross.

Form over function?

LOL! Pud, don't get your back up man. You make nice shields, no reason to get riled up because a couple people are saying plastic is a better material!

I was going to say it earlier, but anyone know how acrylic would hold up?

http://www.3d-cam.com/materials/acrylic.asp

says acrylic's melting point is 266 degrees F.

FWIW, I loved my pud heatshield. It was a beautiful edition to my engine bay and got rid of the limp dong syndrome my k&n had.

To play devil's advocate, as much as an aluminum heatshield would transfer heat from the outside, it would also move heat that is on the inside of the shield equally as effectively. The sides of the alum. heathshield probably act as fins to bring the heat upwards and away from the filter. Again, purely speculation based on the few times I was awake in school.

To play devil's advocate, as much as an aluminum heatshield would transfer heat from the outside, it would also move heat that is on the inside of the shield equally as effectively. The sides of the alum. heathshield probably act as fins to bring the heat upwards and away from the filter. Again, purely speculation based on the few times I was awake in school.

I don't think so. Heat will always move from a hotter area to a cooler one. On a hot summer day, your engine bay is going to be much hotter, so heat will be transferred to the incoming air. I don't know how the heat shields are attached to the car, but from my experience with computer processors, you need a very very good contact and heat transfer medium to get any kind of effective conduction between surfaces.

ok if I get some time I will data log my 2k SVT with KKM with and w/o a pud heat shield and post up the plots from live link.

ok if I get some time I will data log my 2k SVT with KKM with and w/o a pud heat shield and post up the plots from live link.

when you do, please make sure the operating conditions are the same:
* engine already warmed up
* idle the car the same amount (or not at all)

when you do, please make sure the operating conditions are the same:
* engine already warmed up
* idle the car the same amount (or not at all)

car had been run for an hour before hand. sat for as long as it took me to setup the xcal2 and laptop and then again when I removed the heatshield.

I drove the same route and tried to drive it the exact same way.

I started both runs at the same intake temp.

from my obsevations with the KKM a heat shield is a great idea.

The sign at my storage unit said it was 93 at the time I was data logging.

When I was making the second run w/out the heatshield Live Link crapped out so I lost some data while driving. I spliced the two files together.

I started logging with both setups with the IAC reading 130 degrees.

I noted that without the heatshield when I stepped on the gas the intake temp shot way up.

with.JPG

without.JPG

compare.JPG

Last edited:
I thought the argument was about plastic Vs metal, not shield Vs no shield?

yes it was but this also show that the metal isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. What did it get down to 98 degrees? the temp this afternoon was in the mid to upper 80s ...

best I can do vs plastic is the stock intake.

now with these numbers shown, is there honestly any noticeable difference, or is it just noticeable on paper? granted i have felt inside and outside a heatshield before and i can feel the different but is there really any feel in the pedal, or in throttle response? i could see maybe a little bogging on a super hot day w/o it but what else?

yes it was but this also show that the metal isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. What did it get down to 98 degrees? the temp this afternoon was in the mid to upper 80s ...

best I can do vs plastic is the stock intake.

Lol, ok. I for one don't think metal is bad, just that plastic is a tad better. I mean anything is better than an open filter sitting in the engine bay. :blackeye:

Back