• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

WOW!!!!Car died on 295 in jersey

Ifordman98

CEG'er
Driving up to my girls dorm and the car would randomly stop accelerating for about 1-2 seconds at a time. Felt as if i were running out of gas...But had a 1/2 a tank. Weird, thought it was the iac leaking so i drove it back the next day and it was doing the same thing. After several times, it just completly stoped and wouldnt start. it will turn over fine, it wont fire. The PATS light is blinking like crazy when i put the keyy in. Im guesssing the car thinks im stealing it and i have a bad key. I had it towed to the ford dealrship and theyll take a look at it . It really sucks cause i only have 1 key. I think the chip went bad in the key. Any other theories/ experiences?

could be the key I suppose, but Ive never heard of that kind of thing going bad before.

Also a possibility is some kind of electrical short/battery corrosion. If the power to the ignition is cut and then restored quickly(due to vibration or whatever) the car will drop revs quickly, and come back to life in a few seconds (possibly semi-violently).

If the check engine light won't come on when you turn the key to ignition, then its almost certainly a wire short somewhere. (or a bad pcm, but thats unlikely.)

Last edited:
... the car would randomly stop accelerating for about 1-2 seconds at a time. Felt as if i were running out of gas...But had a 1/2 a tank. Weird, thought it was the iac leaking so i drove it back the next day and it was doing the same thing. After several times, it just completly stoped and wouldnt start. it will turn over fine, it wont fire.

That description sounds like a fuel pump issue. Great idea to change the fuel filter too.

I never understood the whole windsheild wiper deal. Why does it happen?I know it happens when your batt is extremly low but the wipers? I also heard of this happening to a girl with an 03' Edge.

Back