• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Top Shop CF trunk PRE 98!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
any hope of doing a post 98 without a molded wing? If not a pre 98 would be pretty sweet on my tour!:drool:

o.k it has been said several times and im gonna have to say it real clear
THIS THREAD IS FOR A PRE 98 TRUNK NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!

if your interested in something else contact justin from topshop and work it out. but stop commenting in this thread about other products except what was posted originally:mad:

Put your name down!

Man if your going to open this up to everything this is going to get crazy fast. Seriously get two threads going so this doesn't turn into the CF hood thread. We don't need multiple polls to get things done here.

I think we have enough people interested in getting a pre98 CF trunk made. If you want to venture in trying to have a post98 CF trunk made as well then start a new thread.

AGAIN this IC is for a PRE 98 TOP SHOP CARBON FIBER TRUNK LID. with no spoiler.
I thought more people would be all over this.

Here is the list.

1. contourSVT99
2. CSVT#49
3. bagged
4. ryanblacksvt
5. Excel4600c ( NO Molded Spoiler)

Could we ask them for a price quote for 5 and then 10 people buying the trunk? I think if we had an idea of what the final cost would be then more people would be interested. This is a fairly simple part, but large. If I have the time I may make my own CF trunk. since I have a spare trunk to put on my car in the mean time. The large cost is the price of CF, which will be well into the $200 range for someone buying it on their own.

The only way that we would make a mold is if the cost of the mold would be paid in full. The cost of the mold that we came up this is about $3000.00. So that would be say 50 people getting into the buy for $60.00 up front. These trunks would be nice though, full vacuum infused mold, nothing but the carbon hand layed in mold. NO air bubbles or ripples in the fiber. The trunks would look great besides being light and super strong.
I would be able to make the hood and ship them for $400.00 on the group buy for 50 people.
Once again the most expensive part of the process is the tooling. After that the price goes down when we get into the group purchase part of things. The 50 people that would send in the money for the tooling and mold process would be keep that fee till the completion point. Then those who paid the $60.00 would be paying $340.00 for the trunk shipped.
Thanks
Justin B

Ok so the cost of the mold is driving the start of this....

So what if you had 10 people that paid in $300 each which would pay for your mold, would those 10 people be able to buy the trunk for $100?

Ok so the cost of the mold is driving the start of this....

So what if you had 10 people that paid in $300 each which would pay for your mold, would those 10 people be able to buy the trunk for $100?

No because a person would still have to pay for the part. The tooling is set aside as a totally different payment.
If we could get say 25 people that wanted in on this I could make the mold, including the tooling for $500.00 and $50.00 shipping.
That would take care of everything.
Thanks
Justin B

So I'm curious for this price what we are getting?

How many layers of carbon fiber are you using on these trunks? Are you using a core? If so what is the core made of? Is the structural section of the trunk going to be made of fiberglass or will it be carbon fiber as well? How are you bonding the two sections? Will the trunk retain OEM mounting? If so how are you meshing the fastener into the trunk as the OEM trunk is tapped steel.

In the past I have seen companies just use resin to hold a nut into the fiberglass structure of a hood/trunk to retain OEM mounting. In these same applications I have seen the nut break loose from the resin once the hood/trunk is installed. If you are fastening the trunks in this manner do you guarantee that the nut won't break loose? If it does would we receive a replacement trunk?

Thanks.

Last edited:
In the past I have seen companies just use resin to hold a nut into the fiberglass structure of a hood/trunk to retain OEM mounting. In these same applications I have seen the nut break loose from the resin once the hood/trunk is installed. If you are fastening the trunks in this manner do you guarantee that the nut won't break loose? If it does would we receive a replacement trunk?

Thanks.

I have this exact problem with my current trunk, they also used this method to hold in the trunk latch........which obviously didnt hold up for too many openings and closings. Stupid latch broke right before a weekend road trip, bungee cord FTW!

I would be interested in this trunk, but I cant commit any $ to it at the moment......I guess Ill see how far this interest check goes

ONCE AGAIN
The only way that we would make a mold is if the cost of the mold would be paid in full. The cost of the mold that we came up this is about $3000.00. So that would be say 50 people getting into the buy for $60.00 up front. These trunks would be nice though, full vacuum infused mold, nothing but the carbon hand layed in mold. NO air bubbles or ripples in the fiber. The trunks would look great besides being light and super strong.
I would be able to make the hood and ship them for $400.00 on the group buy for 50 people.
Once again the most expensive part of the process is the tooling. After that the price goes down when we get into the group purchase part of things. The 50 people that would send in the money for the tooling and mold process would be keep that fee till the completion point. Then those who paid the $60.00 would be paying $340.00 for the trunk shipped.
Thanks
Justin B
progress.gif

Come on CEG yall always wanted a pre-98 cf trunk lid and now they want to make us one, I know they will make a great product, I have everything they make for our cars so far and am getting them to do some 1 off custom stuff for me soon. Lets get this GB going guys!

if you bought 2 you could start 2 different threads:shrug: :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back