• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Shift cable bushing

LokisTyro98SE

Veteran CEG'er
Right now this is merely gauging interest. I would be molding new replacement bushings out of polyurethane that were very similar to the stock design. Cost would roughly be around $6 US per bushing.

I'm still talking things over with people but the mold has already been designed and I'm waiting for a few responses from some guys at the shop I used to work at. As of right now it is only for the round black bushing, but some have shown interest in others. I had to steal the one of my SE for the SVT to see if it shifted properly after the shift tower swap was complete. So I'm down one bushing and thought that this would be a good way to go about things. As of right now it's not a solid bushing. It has "relief" holes in it like the stock rubber unit. It would be molded in ~80A and higher depending on availability and testing.

Last edited:
The wheels are in motion. I'm going to talk with my buddy tonight and discuss the details and pricing. After I make one for myself and test it on my car for awhile I'll offer these in a group buy with great pricing. If you're interested please let me know so I have an idea of the amount of casting compound I should order.

I'm trying to source a replacement for polyurethane which is only good for ~175 degrees which is the only setback. It seems difficult to find the material I need in a small amount.

Interested..... Any chance of posting a pic to make sure everyone is on the same page as to what this group buy is for?

Interested..... Any chance of posting a pic to make sure everyone is on the same page as to what this group buy is for?
The next time I have the drivers side wheel off I'll snap a pic. I need to swap front rotors on a 'Tour so I'll get a pic by this weekend.

Have you thought about turning them out of a rod material. I made a design and turned a couple prototypes on my lathe. They worked pretty good. I was thinking about having them done on a CNC lathe, but have not had the time. I am not trying to put down you idea, but it just seems that molding the little bushings would be hard to do and might be prone to voids. Unless you are going to have them professionally injection molded.

Have you thought about turning them out of a rod material. I made a design and turned a couple prototypes on my lathe. They worked pretty good. I was thinking about having them done on a CNC lathe, but have not had the time. I am not trying to put down you idea, but it just seems that molding the little bushings would be hard to do and might be prone to voids. Unless you are going to have them professionally injection molded.
I've thought about having rod stock turned. Right now I have the time to pour these 'lil guys... Soon as I could make enough money for a lathe I would buy my own ;) Something from Grizzly probably.

I've thought about having rod stock turned. Right now I have the time to pour these 'lil guys... Soon as I could make enough money for a lathe I would buy my own ;) Something from Grizzly probably.

Maybe you could work with PRT on this project? I believe he has a lathe...

Back