• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Rear Strut Tower Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was disappointed that the cross design was discontinued by BAT. that would be the one im interested in but if you need another for the type 1 PM me. Im waiting for one similar to the first style from todras but he's taking weeks and no communication and he has my money!
we do have a transaction feedback section, maybe you should make a post there. As far as the x-brace it was never produced for the contour to begin wwith so this will be something all new.

I cant wait to get more info on this from you mike. I will be patiently waiting.

I cant wait to get more info on this from you mike. I will be patiently waiting.

Next weekend I hope to start on this. My brother works Mon-Sat so his free time will be tough. I plan to make the drawings for it next week/weekend and get my brother the material and drawings so that he can weld up a prototype as he has time.

strut bar?

strut bar?

where does style one mount? the top of the towers? I have a big subwoofer that might be perfect for the fit. PM me whenever they're gettin ready.

Just an update...

Took measurements yesterday and I'm currently working on a design. Hoping to have a working prototype by mid Aug.

First crack at it. Shouldn't be to bad to build a jig and put one together. Just need to pick up some raw material and test the waters.

rprstb.jpg

Looks good, so a couple questions..

1. Is it going to have pivots somewhere like the bradness style bar?

2. Is it going to be held in with... screws? or just by tension?

Looks good, so a couple questions..

1. Is it going to have pivots somewhere like the bradness style bar?

2. Is it going to be held in with... screws? or just by tension?

Haven't completely decided yet. This initial design will allow for both with minor tweaks. Although I personally am leaning towards the bolt in for the end plates with no pivots. This will allow a quick disconnect for removal of the brace in just a few minutes ideally without tools, freeing up space to allow for larger items being placed in the trunk. However right now that is just a concept. I want to make a working prototype before I start to tweak things for ease of removability. I'm going to try to design such that it is high enough were it really isn't digging into the trunk space to begin with, which is why this first design has it actually sitting on top of the towers rather then just spanning between them at a lower point.

Haven't completely decided yet. This initial design will allow for both with minor tweaks. Although I personally am leaning towards the bolt in for the end plates with no pivots. This will allow a quick disconnect for removal of the brace in just a few minutes ideally without tools, freeing up space to allow for larger items being placed in the trunk. However right now that is just a concept. I want to make a working prototype before I start to tweak things for ease of removability. I'm going to try to design such that it is high enough were it really isn't digging into the trunk space to begin with, which is why this first design has it actually sitting on top of the towers rather then just spanning between them at a lower point.

Pardon my backfire for ressurrecting an old thread but this one looked like it was going somewhere and then...nothing. What happened?

Pardon my backfire for ressurrecting an old thread but this one looked like it was going somewhere and then...nothing. What happened?

My build has taken a priority. I plan to build one for my car when I get to that point though at which point I'll bring this thread back to life.

My build has taken a priority. I plan to build one for my car when I get to that point though at which point I'll bring this thread back to life.

Sounds good to me. I'll keep an eye out for renewed activity here. Until then, I wish the best of luck on your build. I suffered a personal setback in 2008 and am finally getting back to building my SVT too.

Alright people I have materials sitting here at my house now. This thing is getting done. I have three designs I'm going back and forth on. Each has it's advantages. I'll post up snap shots in a little while. One is simple and cost effective, the second is complex but allows for more trunk space, and finally the last design allows for the bar to be removed fairly easily with a couple of wrenches, but adds complexity and cost. However all of them are stout and much better then anything else that has been available in my opinion. Stay tuned...

Alright guys here is what I came up with. They will all install relatively painlessly. Only requires drilling four holes, which will be pretty straight forward and easy to ensure they are located properly. I found a pretty fool proof way of doing this. Here are the options. I'm personally leaning towards #3. #2, if I pursue it, will require a little more work. I'm not sold on the mounting of it, but it will open up more of the trunk letting things pass through the rear seat opening. Brackets will come powder coated black. As for the cross bar I'm thinking I may offer color matching. Looking for thoughts and comments before I start building PD assemblies.

Tour_RSTB_1..JPG
Tour_RSTB_2..JPG
Tour_RSTB_3..JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back