• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Custom Bugzuki Plates for Big Bore LIM

Status
Not open for further replies.
To try an better clarify what the plates are used for I will add some comments.

When you upgrade to the 3L and use the 3L heads you have to port match the intake runners to the Contour LIM (for a ported 3L). Originally people were doing this porting using a sharpie and trying to trace the LIM onto the head. I tried this and found it very hard and the trace marks would rub off - making me trace again. It was also very hard to make sure the shape was in the correct location - trying to trace down the neck of the LIM.

I originally designed the plate to aid in this process, and it cut the time of porting down substantially. The first head took me about 4 or 5 hours while the second head took 1.5 or so.

The second issue that requires you to use the plates as a gasket so to speak is the 3L injector port. The 3L injector is centered in the intake runner while the contour injector is to one side. If you just throw the LIM with the stock gasket on it leaves an openning where the injector should have been. In the past people corrected this using JB weld or aluminum MIG welding. Welding is hard and can cause head warping if not done carefully. I tried the JB weld and had some success on the first head but did not like the idea of having JB weld in the intake runner.

With my plates you can still use the Contour LIM gasket, but the injector port is now covered.

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any questions.
Paul
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

Has anyone tried the aluminum filler from Loctite in place of JBWeld?

~Mike~

I have not tried the locktite aluminum filer. Before you do I would find out what the thermal expansion rate is. I would hope that it would be similar, but they might not have designed it large temperature change areas. My fear is that it would peal off and get lodged in the valve. Then you would have to remove the head to get it out.

The JBweld I put in the one head is still in good shape, so that might be a non-issue. If you do go that route make sure you make some holes or something for the filler to drop down into to help stabilize it. That way it is not just sticking to the surface, but also has some mechanical hold.

Think of it this way if you just hold onto the surface of a bowling ball you probably won't be able to pick it up. When you put your fingers in the holes you can pick it up and swing it around without dropping it. Same thing with a bonding agent.

Alright guys still a couple more days before this GB becomes official and we Bugzuki will make the plates for the people dedicated to it.

I also will be adding this GB to NECO for anybody that is getting the LIM's on that end.

- amyn

I will see if we are up to the plate. I have the money sitting for 1 of my sets and I am def going to pick up another. I will PM Bugzuki today and see if he is ready to start taking in orders!

Once he is I will have this thread closed and then create a new "Official" GB.

It will also help for the people that are in to say if they are getting the 2 plate or 3 plate kit!

1. QBCSVT - 2x 3 Plate / Bolts sets
2. Icefury
3. R-Code
4. SVTFixer

- amyn

Can these be used on the UIM? I measured my max extrude hone piece and the ports aren't nearly as big as the ports on the LIM are going to be.

~Mike~

These are not for the UIM. They are for between the LIM and the Head. And yes your UIM and LIM will match, Im planning on porting them to all be the same size inlet and outlet for the UIM, LIM (which is done by Sho-Source), and Heads.

- amyn

These are not for the UIM. They are for between the LIM and the Head. And yes your UIM and LIM will match, Im planning on porting them to all be the same size inlet and outlet for the UIM, LIM (which is done by Sho-Source), and Heads.

- amyn
I guess I'll have to wait and see.

~Mike~

I am ready to order. I will send in the order on monday. Hopefully I will have a better idea how many plates to order by then.

Here is the list so far - but only QBCSVT has said how many plates he wants.

2. Icefury
3. R-Code
4. SVTFixer

Here are the prices for the kits:
  • 2 plate kit w/ 4 bolts - $30 + 5.00 shipping
  • 3 plate kit w/ 4 bolts - $40 + 5.00 shipping
You can paypal me the payment at paulw at hybridaction dot com

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I will PM everyone and see if I can get a count together.
Thanks

is an official "on the list"

2. Icefury
3. R-Code
4. svtfixer 3 plates.

1. QBCSVT - 2x 3 Plate / Bolts sets PAID
2. Icefury
3. R-Code
4. svtfixer - 3 Plate / Bolts set

If anybody else wants to get into this that was in the SHO SOURCE LIM Service please let Bugzuki know. He will be making a couple extra just incase but even those are limited.

I believe he will be making 20 Plates and 9 Plates have been purchased with another 2 people purchasing between 4-6 Plates, leaving 7-5 Plates surplus. :crazy:

Thank You Bugzuki for your services to the community!

- amyn

2. Icefury
3. R-Code - 2 Plate set

2. Icefury
3. R-Code - 2 Plate set PAID

Did I miss something? Do the bolts cost extra?

~Mike~

Im unsure if they come with the two plate set but I believe the come with the 3 plate set. That is a question for the man himself. Im sure he will chime in. The plates *should* be completed by now?

- amyn

I was including the bolts with both kits.

Normally the plates would be done by now. But, it turns out the owner of the shop went in for a bypass surgery on Tuesday. I will call in the morning and see if I can get an updated delivery date.

Sorry for the delay.

2. Icefury - 4 Plates / bolts
3. R-Code - 2 Plate / bolts set PAID

I was including the bolts with both kits.

Normally the plates would be done by now. But, it turns out the owner of the shop went in for a bypass surgery on Tuesday. I will call in the morning and see if I can get an updated delivery date.

Sorry for the delay.

These things always happen when you do a GB.... Hope he feels better!

Well personally Im in no hurry and I dont think anyone else will be until the SHO Source LIM comes in then you will be in trouble. Like I said my car is down till the spring. So I dont care as long as I get it before then.

Sweet everyone is getting bolts!

Thanks and keep us informed.

- Amyn

Just got an email from Paypal that I am getting parts shipped to me from Bugzuki.

Hope everybody paid up, its time to get your parts....

- amyn

1. QBCSVT - 2x 3 Plate / Bolts sets PAID Shipped
2. Icefury - 4 Plates / bolts
3. R-Code - 2 Plate / bolts set PAID Shipped
4. svtfixer - 3 Plate / Bolts set PAID Shipped

Got the plates today and shipped all that have paid. I have an arrangement with Icefury, so no worries there.

I shipped via USPS Priority Mail - so the package should be there in 2 or 3 business days (probably Saturday).
Let me know if you have any questions.

I have a couple plates left over so if anyone else needs some, just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back