• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Custom Bugzuki Plates for Big Bore LIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey Guys I got in contact with Bugzuki and he is willing to make us the plates for port matching our Sho-Source Big Bore LIMs to a 2.5/3L properly. Since these will be custom sized the price will be a bit more expensive then the standard bugzuki plates.

Take into consideration these measure out 32.7mm Primary and 34.1 Secondary ports (which are too small).

He will be customizing his current plates to 34mm Primary and 37mm secondary for our GB.

EDIT: Links with Pics of bugzuki's plates!

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=8178

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=8422

EDIT (additional information from Bugzuki himself):
I got a price on the custom size plates. It would be $15 per plate instead of the normal $10 dollars. This is due to the lower quantity and the cost of the new laser program. I will order a minimum of 10 plates, but it looks like I will be ordering more then that from the list already started.

So the for the kits I will set the prices at:
  • 2 plate kit w/ 4 bolts - $30 + 5.00 shipping
  • 3 plate kit w/ 4 bolts - $40 + 5.00 shipping

To try an better clarify what the plates are used for I will add some comments.

When you upgrade to the 3L and use the 3L heads you have to port match the intake runners to the Contour LIM (for a ported 3L). Originally people were doing this porting using a sharpie and trying to trace the LIM onto the head. I tried this and found it very hard and the trace marks would rub off - making me trace again. It was also very hard to make sure the shape was in the correct location - trying to trace down the neck of the LIM.

I originally designed the plate to aid in this process, and it cut the time of porting down substantially. The first head took me about 4 or 5 hours while the second head took 1.5 or so.

The second issue that requires you to use the plates as a gasket so to speak is the 3L injector port. The 3L injector is centered in the intake runner while the contour injector is to one side. If you just throw the LIM with the stock gasket on it leaves an openning where the injector should have been. In the past people corrected this using JB weld or aluminum MIG welding. Welding is hard and can cause head warping if not done carefully. I tried the JB weld and had some success on the first head but did not like the idea of having JB weld in the intake runner.

With my plates you can still use the Contour LIM gasket, but the injector port is now covered.

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any questions.
Paul

Payments can be made through paypal at paulw at hybridaction dot com

We have been given the go! PLEASE UNDERSTAND that Paul (Bugzuki) will be ordering this on 11-16-09 and he informed me it usually takes 2-3 days to fill the order (maybe even longer due to new programming for the custom sizing). So please be patient!

- amyn

I am personally going to get into this even if I must pay myself. But this will benefit all of us in the Big Bore LIM GB and will also result in a cheaper price if made in bulk.

- amyn

I kinda get the idea of what we're talking about here, but I'm drawing a blank on why a 3rd plate would be necessary. Got any threads on the origional product for us relative n00bs to take a look at so we can bring ourselves up to speed?

~Mike~

I kinda get the idea of what we're talking about here, but I'm drawing a blank on why a 3rd plate would be necessary. Got any threads on the origional product for us relative n00bs to take a look at so we can bring ourselves up to speed?

~Mike~

You would use 1 plate to do your porting, then use the other 2 when you bolt your LIM back onto your head.

The OEM gaskets won't work anymore since you're dealing with custom-sized runners. You're porting the heads to match the LIM. The OEM gaskets would be way too small.

The OEM gaskets won't work anymore since you're dealing with custom-sized runners. You're porting the heads to match the LIM. The OEM gaskets would be way too small.
Ok, so they serve as gaskets now, too? What about LIM to UIM?

~Mike~

I'm running a Hybrid build, so I presume I will need the plates as well as you guys running the 3L heads? If I need the Bugzuki plates, I'm in.

Count me in for a set either way, I guess I'm going to need them if I want to use these fancy new intake parts :crazy:

~Mike~

Im *pretty much* going to be in for two sets. that makes 4 sets being made. Please update if you would be getting the 3 plate or 2 plate sets! This will help with the final pricing that Bugzuki will give us!

1. QBCSVT - 2x 3 Plate / Bolts sets
2. Icefury
3. R-Code

I got a price on the custom size plates. It would be $15 per plate instead of the normal $10 dollars. This is due to the lower quantity and the cost of the new laser program. I will order a minimum of 10 plates, but it looks like I will be ordering more then that from the list already started.

So the for the kits I will set the prices at:
  • 2 plate kit w/ 4 bolts - $30 + 5.00 shipping
  • 3 plate kit w/ 4 bolts - $40 + 5.00 shipping

To try an better clarify what the plates are used for I will add some comments.

When you upgrade to the 3L and use the 3L heads you have to port match the intake runners to the Contour LIM (for a ported 3L). Originally people were doing this porting using a sharpie and trying to trace the LIM onto the head. I tried this and found it very hard and the trace marks would rub off - making me trace again. It was also very hard to make sure the shape was in the correct location - trying to trace down the neck of the LIM.

I originally designed the plate to aid in this process, and it cut the time of porting down substantially. The first head took me about 4 or 5 hours while the second head took 1.5 or so.

The second issue that requires you to use the plates as a gasket so to speak is the 3L injector port. The 3L injector is centered in the intake runner while the contour injector is to one side. If you just throw the LIM with the stock gasket on it leaves an openning where the injector should have been. In the past people corrected this using JB weld or aluminum MIG welding. Welding is hard and can cause head warping if not done carefully. I tried the JB weld and had some success on the first head but did not like the idea of having JB weld in the intake runner.

With my plates you can still use the Contour LIM gasket, but the injector port is now covered.

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any questions.
Paul

PM'd Bugzuki!

Guys I will leave the interest check on for a week or two because we dont have our LIM's from SHO-Source anyway.

Then I will create an official group buy with payment information and such (working this out with Bugzuki himself).

- amyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back