• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Brake kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need a 13" brake kit unless you track the living crap out of your car, and considering 90% of you won't. Your going to be wasting your money.
This kit is not going to magically turn into a 13" kit either, it doesn't work like that.

But w/e I'd really like to see this go though, could be a lotta brake for the buck IMO, would rather not spend a grand on Wilwood's or Baer's

Well its not a matter of tracking the car. I do want to go Auto Xing every so often but even in that case both a 12 or 13 inch kit will do the job. My main concern is not only for the stopping power, it is also for the bling/aesthetic factor and to fill up my 18 Rims and for a couple maybe even 19's.

I may be a possibility to have both a 12 and 13 inch kit prototyped if possible. But as i said in the other group buys im looking at, I will not raise my hand and commit till a price is set and I can afford it....

- amyn

definitely interested if the price is right
THE%20PRICE%20IS%20RIGHT%20LOGO.JPG

+1

All depends on price!!!!

if it is cheap enough id prob do a 12" kit but if any of you have ever had a 13" baer kit on a tour you would understand why I want a 13" kit again. Bling factor for sure but the stopping power of them is unreal!:drool: The reaction you get out of brakes that big is awesome too lol. Also along those lines. how often do you guys run your stock wheels if you have 17+? Not often right? The install of the kit is simple as can be and doesnt take much time either..... Just my .02 but hey like I said if the price is a decent amount less than a baer kit I'd be down.

I am also interested.
Whenever I need front brakes I planned on upgrading to FSVT hardware via the NPG kit.
I would be interested in either a 12 or 13" kit---I run FSVT 17s and could fit 13s but not sure if the extra mass is worth it for our cars :shrug:
I'd suggest trying to adapt an OEM upgrade for cost and easy replacement parts, maybe making something like this kit work:
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=594cPath=6
Either way, looking forward to see what you guys come up with.
-J

I haven't seen anybody say why the current offerings aren't good enough.

On the high end, there's the Baer and TCE kits.
On the low end, there's the NPG kit that allows for using 300mm rotors.

What sort of kit is CEG hoping these guys offer? Or are you hoping for a Baer knock-off priced cheaply?

if it is cheap enough id prob do a 12" kit but if any of you have ever had a 13" baer kit on a tour you would understand why I want a 13" kit again. Bling factor for sure but the stopping power of them is unreal!:drool: The reaction you get out of brakes that big is awesome too lol. Also along those lines. how often do you guys run your stock wheels if you have 17+? Not often right? The install of the kit is simple as can be and doesnt take much time either..... Just my .02 but hey like I said if the price is a decent amount less than a baer kit I'd be down.

I agree with you but since we are in michigan we (well i run) my stockers in the winter which lasts about 4-5 months. Nov, dec, jan ,feb, march, april is about a good time to put the wheels back on it.

This kit won't be any cheaper than 800 dollars.

I haven't seen anybody say why the current offerings aren't good enough.

On the high end, there's the Baer and TCE kits.
On the low end, there's the NPG kit that allows for using 300mm rotors.

What sort of kit is CEG hoping these guys offer? Or are you hoping for a Baer knock-off priced cheaply?

i think u hit it right on the head. a baer knockoff. if what harry says is true about the price not being much lower than 800, then forget it and get the baers. i'm gonna shut up now so i dont ruffle the feathers of those who really want this thing.

i think u hit it right on the head. a baer knockoff. if what harry says is true about the price not being much lower than 800, then forget it and get the baers. i'm gonna shut up now so i dont ruffle the feathers of those who really want this thing.

Unless they run into hundreds of deals on cheap calipers, i don't see how they can buy these cheap :shrug: With a decent rotor and then drill them for our cars application. :shrug:

If they can get it cheaper than 800 like down to 500. it will sell. But then again who knows :shrug:

I hope we atleast get some figures on the LIM mod. :)

if its not a baer or wilwood kit and it is a big brake kit fashioned after one of the 2 then wouldnt it be a knockoff:shrug: I would expect with it being a knockoff to be a good bit cheaper than the other mentioned products. Otherwise what would be the point of buyiong a knockoff anyway?:confused: If a company like loco racing wheels made a wheel just like all the oz racing wheels people pay out the nose for and charged the same amount of money for them your going to buy the real deal still arent you?

See my post above. PBR/Baer/Cobra/Vette calipers, Brembo rotors and SS brake lines $359. If they can come up with a caliper adapter and susbstitute the correct chassis side line connectors and correctly drilled rotors, I don't see why this has to be $800 :shrug:
-J

See my post above. PBR/Baer/Cobra/Vette calipers, Brembo rotors and SS brake lines $359. If they can come up with a caliper adapter and susbstitute the correct chassis side line connectors and correctly drilled rotors, I don't see why this has to be $800 :shrug:
-J

Me likes this idea! But first me need to find way to get larger hub fit car. Then me can use bigger splined axle ends.

-J

Because i don't see them buying up used parts. Seeing they must design a bracket D&D costs with the addition of brand new calipers which i would hope would be a cobra based caliper or something along the lines of one, would make this kit run around that amount.

An upgraded cobra kit is around 800 dollars and those are mass produced. Why would this kit be soo much less.:shrug: Just putting this out there making sure people understand how much brake upgrades really cost and not trying to jump on the band wagon thinking these will be 300-400 dollars.

Because i don't see them buying up used parts. Seeing they must design a bracket D&D costs with the addition of brand new calipers which i would hope would be a cobra based caliper or something along the lines of one, would make this kit run around that amount.

An upgraded cobra kit is around 800 dollars and those are mass produced. Why would this kit be soo much less.:shrug: Just putting this out there making sure people understand how much brake upgrades really cost and not trying to jump on the band wagon thinking these will be 300-400 dollars.
im sorry but im not sure that anyone really read my post above but why on earth are you going to pay the same price for a knockoff anything as you would the name brand real deal:confused: i mean you take a fiero and make it a ferrari kit car and sell it for the price of a ferrari? I dont think so. even if they use the same parts to a t what would be the point? I'm sorry I just dont get it i guess:confused::blackeye:

my 12.2 TCE kit is simply insane. i really don't feel that a 13" is a requirement. with my 12.2 i can use 6.5" wheels like my sport 16s with blizzaks. its a.81 rotor and i simply cannot get fade out of them. i agree this kit is worthwhile with a good price, perhaps as a midrange solution, but just so you know 13" is a purely aesthetic requirement.

my 12.2 TCE kit is simply insane. i really don't feel that a 13" is a requirement. with my 12.2 i can use 6.5" wheels like my sport 16s with blizzaks. its a.81 rotor and i simply cannot get fade out of them. i agree this kit is worthwhile with a good price, perhaps as a midrange solution, but just so you know 13" is a purely aesthetic requirement.
im not even having a size argument here though. I wouldnt pay the same amount of money for anyones knock off kit as I would a baer kit in any size it defeats the sole puprose of making a knockoff. GMK who you got your brake kit from is the reason I ended up getting a baer kit for my last svt. He told me how much of an upgrade that tce kit was, so im not arguing size here at all.

Harry, I reread this twice and I guess I don't understand what you're saying:shrug:. Used parts?
The link and prices I quoted are new stuff (same PBR calipers as Cobra but no lettering) My point was that the start of this was making better OEM stuff work for our application and the link shows some quality parts for less than $400. A caliper adapter shouldn't run much over $100 and the rotor issue and line adapters aren't a huge or costly deal.
I don't think anyone was thinking $300-400 but I was hoping for $500-600.
-J

Harry, I reread this twice and I guess I don't understand what you're saying:shrug:. Used parts?
The link and prices I quoted are new stuff (same PBR calipers as Cobra but no lettering) My point was that the start of this was making better OEM stuff work for our application and the link shows some quality parts for less than $400. A caliper adapter shouldn't run much over $100 and the rotor issue and line adapters aren't a huge or costly deal.
I don't think anyone was thinking $300-400 but I was hoping for $500-600.
-J

I apologize for not making my self clearer. So let me explain...... i don't want people thinking it's going to be cheap. People always assume they can get parts cheaper than what companies are charging. So i was making sure to point out that this company will be buying new equipment so don't expect the price to be cheap. :) I can see where your pricing is going to be set at, yet i don't know how much the bracket will cost in the end.

Now no more cluttering from me. I am anticipating there next update with some good news!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back