• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: 6061 Aluminum Billet Control Arms

DocStruthers

Veteran CEG'er
6061 T6

1" thick with four 1/4" recesses top and bottom (1" thick "X" for extra bracing)

symetrical design so either lower a arm can be used on either side of vehicle (just flip ball joint to other side of arm.

The picture attached is very rough, and if you look closely enough the dimensions aren't even close to exact. THE IMAGE IS NOT THE FINISHED PRODUCT.

This is just a interest check.

But I was surprised with the pricing.
With all tolerences within .05"
Plus the end you can't see in the image are threaded, obviously, for the heim joints.

For 10ea / 5 sets they will be roughly 125-175 each. + shipping.

Remember this is JUST AN INTEREST CHECK.
THIS DESIGN IS NOT FINALIZED.

Is there anything you guys would like to see added/removed?

I remember seeing someone on here has a great powdercoating gig.
Hopefully he's still around.

Maybe he can even anodize?

I also wanted to add i will have the end links perpendicular to the chassis so extreme camber adjustments will be possible. If wanted. I couldn't help but notice in the tubular IC the design was flawed, in that respect, no offense to anyone. I doubt the camber range was an issue at the time of design.

I originally had the 4 recessed sections, empty. But decided to keep a half inch of material increasing strength greatly and helping spread stress/force throughout the arm while driving.

I can say now the final one will have the ball joint mount centrally located. I had the mount at the bottom of the arm to raise the rest of the arm up just a little more to get all the space possible for ground clearance. I'm afraid if these hit anything hard at any speed there will be problems.
Aluminum is incredibly strong unless a blunt, sharp impact occurs.

Anyway, off to bed.

Im in, any improvement over stock? How are these better? Will there be actual camber adjustment?

The engineer in me likes this design. I too noticed the issue with the splayed legs in the tubular LCA, and it would be easy enough to fix the tubular design by paralleling the legs.

If you do this right, this arm should be usable with 2 and 4-bolt subframes, the changes being the heim orientation, perhaps ball bore size, and any spacers needed to secure and center the heim balls.

Friendly suggestion: Make sure you adequately prepare folks for the cost of large, Teflon-lined high quality heim joints. I've done some suspension part design for the Taurus SHO and Mustang communities, and the cost of all the little add-on parts and spacers can sink a neat project like this.

I think it's getting near new front LCA time on my '99 CSVT, so I'm very interested in this. LMK if I can be of assistance.

Im in, any improvement over stock? How are these better? Will there be actual camber adjustment?
Stronger, Much lighter, better looking, higher corrosion resistance (for you East US folk) :) and yes, this design has camber adjustment at the chassis side, plus a set of camber inserts at top of strut tower and I could see a huge adjustment window. (if you really want it)
Interested; just a quick question. If the ball joint is equidistant between the bushes, why did Ford make the arms handed ?
I think I understand your question. The ball joint is not equidistant. If you draw a triangle connecting center of ball joint with center of bolt hole on bushings(bushes) you will get a scalene triangle, meaning it is a triangle with three different lengthed sides. If the ball joint was equidistant it would be a isosceles triangle.

The engineer in me likes this design. I too noticed the issue with the splayed legs in the tubular LCA, and it would be easy enough to fix the tubular design by paralleling the legs.

If you do this right, this arm should be usable with 2 and 4-bolt subframes, the changes being the heim orientation, perhaps ball bore size, and any spacers needed to secure and center the heim balls.

Friendly suggestion: Make sure you adequately prepare folks for the cost of large, Teflon-lined high quality heim joints. I've done some suspension part design for the Taurus SHO and Mustang communities, and the cost of all the little add-on parts and spacers can sink a neat project like this.

I think it's getting near new front LCA time on my '99 CSVT, so I'm very interested in this. LMK if I can be of assistance.
Thank you. Glad you approve. Your points on the parts necessary to install are so true. Some very high performance, long lasting, lubeless heim joints can be $$$

I noticed the 4 bolt lca's are quite similar.
An option that might work is a "T" shaped adapter with a threaded dowel maybe 2" long to go into these lca's then the flat bar with 2 holes for the bolts in the chassis??
And they would not be aluminum. :)

I figure I should explain I am going to focus on a successful 2 bolt lca that will be compatible with 4 bolt lca's in the future.

But I won't start further development on them until the 2 bolt lcs's have been released to all buyers of the first batch.

im interested, but my only concern will these hold up to alot of auto x'ing. as ill be doing it almost everyweekend next year. thx

They should be fine. I've seen some EXTREME components held together with billet aluminum.
From high speed off road swingarms to brake caliper brackets for 6 piston 16" (yes 16") brakes.

I will design them, make them, and put them on my car and I won't think twice about them.
I also plan to auto cross my car before to long.

Unfortunately there is only one way to see if they will stand up to it.

But I have faith.

hmmm, not trying to sound lie an ahole , but you having faith doesnt do much for me . are there other aftermarket bullit lca for any other cars?

They should be fine. I've seen some EXTREME components held together with billet aluminum.
From high speed off road swingarms. . . .

hmmm, not trying to sound lie an ahole , but you having faith doesnt do much for me . are there other aftermarket bullit lca for any other cars?

Like I said. Yes, there are.
10-15m of searching the web you will answer your own question.

Not trying to sound like an ahole but, if after researching for yourself you remain unsure or fail to establish the security you're looking for, move along.

So, is there interest? If I can get a list of 5 I will finish the design, post on here for approval, if everyone is in agreement on the design I will get a final price.
If we still have an agreement I will send to machine shop.

1. DocStruthers

So, is there interest? If I can get a list of 5 I will finish the design, post on here for approval, if everyone is in agreement on the design I will get a final price.
If we still have an agreement I will send to machine shop.

1. DocStruthers
2. HotRodV6

im in for a set. maybe down the road you can make some for the rear.

Back