• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I hate my SVT

In all seriousness, do any of you ever feel that it is a love/hate relationship with your car?

Currently...no, because my stock SVT is always there for me when I need it and it has really never had anything ever break on it, besides a vac line in the subzero temps recently.

At the end of March, when I'm driving my 3L SVT again...I really think that there's more hate from it than there is love from me towards it.

Hey bonestock
I like what you said about driving your svt while everyone else is in debt driving brand new cars. The money that you could be using on a car payment you are probably putting in retirement accounts. That my friend is gonna allow you to do whatever you want and buy whatever you want. So while your neighbors refinance another 7 times or move away.( not to mention working till they're 90) You will be reaping the benefits of going the smart route. I have not had and Csvt for 5 years and im getting one in a week and i am super excited. I traded in for a lightning. now i will have both. Anyway take care of your family put money in investments and you will have the last laugh.

In all seriousness, do any of you ever feel that it is a love/hate relationship with your car?

I sometimes feel like the Rodney Dangerfield of car owners, flogging around in a car that at the end of the day is just a 1999 Ford.

I see housewives driving fifty thousand dollar trucks and BMW M3's when I pick up my kids from school. My neighbor waves to me from his brand new Audi as I'm in my sweatpants, car up on the jack stands (again), changing my own oil or putting new brake pads on the stupid thing.

I raise two daughters on my own and barely have time to fart, let alone put upgraded brakes on the car I use to get to work so my kids can eat. I choose to live debt free and have almost paid down my mortgage and hear about guys with Hummers and built in pools getting bailouts. My credit score is like 790 or some rediculous number and I could sign my name and drive out of any dealership with just about any car I want. I drive a 1999 Ford instead becuase I spend $1027.17 per month to put my kids through private school, only to have some 24 year old prius driving social studies teacher tell my eight year old daughter that cars with high output engines are killing polar bears.

It just gets to me sometimes, thats all.

I really don't hate my SVT. It's a great car. I beat the piss out of it and am not afraid to drive it to the limit and beyond. I'm gonna drive it till it dies, fix it and then drive it some more. I think I just need a beater with an automatic as a daily driver. Either that or just buy a Hayabusa.

Thanks for listening guys.

-Tim-

I'm dying over here! LOL:laugh:

I like what you said about driving your svt while everyone else is in debt driving brand new cars. The money that you could be using on a car payment you are probably putting in retirement accounts.

Thats exactly what I do. Sure I like looking at new cars and dreaming about having them but as soon as I buy one I know I'll really want something else. So I bought the car in cash and continue to read and follow the new cars coming out while maxing out my IRA since social security will be long gone by the time I'm ready to get it.

Great post tim. Rant all you want. Ignore ronssvt....sometimes he's trying to be a grown up which only makes him look childish:laugh:

If you don't mind saying...what state do you live in?

Great post tim. Rant all you want. Ignore ronssvt....sometimes he's trying to be a grown up which only makes him look childish:laugh:

If you don't mind saying...what state do you live in?

just for that im making you slam drinks with me at spring zing, then we will see who the child is :cool:

This has to be one of the best threads ever on here. You my friend need to make it up to Spring Zing lol

I love this car. I love 2-3 upshifts merging on a highway, I love the way the car feels and sounds and I love the way she makes me tingle in the no no areas.. teeheeeeee hehe

What I dont get is why someone talks :censored::censored::censored::censored: about another car. Im all for any car that can get somewhere fast. Obviously the person bought the car cause they want something faster than what normal people drive so that right there should be a plus.

no matter how the car gets there (4,6,8 cyclinder, turbo/supercharger/bottle, FWD,RWD,AWD, 2 doors, 4 doors, a truck a bus a plane or a boat) who cares. As car guys we should all show some love to others who drive different cars. We buy the fast cars cause we like to go fast, why judge how we get there?

in my book a 11 sec supra and 11 sec acura are equal in my book. Id love to have either one. Beatuy is in the eye of the beholder so u cant judge someones taste. (unless its a ferrari F430/360, Id kill myself to own one)

Well i already forgot what the thread was about so ill end with this, The whole my car is better cause its a _____ is lame.

I never mentioned that I bought the car in December and forgot to test the AC until the next spring. That was four years ago and guess what...

I have hauled around the weight of the condenser and compressor for like eighty thousand miles, driven the dragon like two hundred times with the extra weight, raced a Porsche Cayenne with the extra weight and it has never, ever, blown not one single drop of cold air. If you ever see a guy in an SVT on I-75 just north of Atlanta with his windows rolled down in August, that would be me.

One lady at church said that it was very "Noble" of me to drive around without getting it fixed for so long. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I drove from Georgia to visit my mom on Long Island this past August. The whole front end would vibrate when I went over 70 becuase the ball joints and control arm bushings were shot. I was gonna drive it all the way in spite of the front end but I made it as far as Raleigh NC and couldn't take the heat anymore. I parked the car at RDU airport and rented one of those Taurus X SUV type things. It had rear seat AC vents and the kids thought I was the greatest dad in the world. I flat spotted the tires on the SUV something aweful doing ebrake slides next to taxi cabs in Manhattan and am surprised that Hertz didn't charge me damages.

So the AC is probably pretty far gone, huh? Anyone care to guess what it would cost to fix or replace? Is this something that I could replace the parts myself and have it charged at a shop to save a few bucks?

Actually, I'm thinking of buying a nine thousand dollar bicycle. No, I'm not kidding.

-Tim-

Oh man... I forgot this! This is a true story...

I dropped off the car to have my wallet emptied and the rotors cut some time last year. I couldn't take the rotors off myself cause I would have no way of getting them to the auto parts store to be cut because I had no other car to use at the time. I guess I could have taken them to the store on my current two thousand dollar bicycle but maybe it was too cold out or something, I forget. Anyway, it was in the shop and they had it on the lift.

I decided to stretch my legs and since it was on the lift, thought I'd peek under the car to see how bad the threads were showing through on the the inside of the front tires. I walked outside and back by the bays and the guy is putting my passenger caliper back on the rotor and he is singing, to the tune of the old Louis Armstrong song...

Nobody knows, the rotors I have seen...
Nobody knows my sorrow...
Nobody knows, the rotors I have seen...

I totally forgot about that.

-Tim-

I think anyone who drives an older, high-maintenance semi-performance car that they work on themselves is bound to have ambivalent feelings (that's love/hate for the vocabulary challenged). Mine started right after I bought the car and spent days trying to stop the rattles in the front plastic bits and tighten-up the front bumper cover, which was loosey-goosey. Then, after it sat at the dealer for two weeks while they kept getting the wrong dash to replace the one that had already warped like a pretzel I had serious misgivings. And don't forget to change out the brake fluid every 60K because when the clutch slave cylinder goes you have to pull the clutch assemby and then you might as well replace the clutch at 75k whether it really needs it 'cuz it's out, right? And the way it would not start late at night after a really long day at work but then start as soon as the tow truck got there (that was the loose CPS connector that I learned about here, thank you Jesus) nearly drove me to drink. More. But oh, those luscious seats and that sound and the way it corners like a go-cart and the fact that nobody knows what it is (love those older sail panel replacements). Yeah, my cat rattles and there is another unknowable rattle that sounds like a brake pad, but it isn't, that has been there from the beginning. And the front air dam is all scratched on the sides from too-steep driveways. But it gets over 27mpg doin' 80 on the freeway and it's still some fun to drive. I will drive it into the dirt or until I hit the lottery, whichever comes first.
I lust for a new Camaro.
Don't hate me.
c

Back