• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

i got a 3L recently put in

svt1480

CEG'er
curious what chip is best for my car an where to get it...

the 3L is port matched an svt top end. with no secondaries n a k&n intake

curious what chip is best for my car an where to get it...

the 3L is port matched an svt top end. with no secondaries n a k&n intake

a) wrong forum
b) Chip = pointless

contact Joey at http://www.nautilusperformance.com/

He will sell you an X-cal3 and provide various tunes at different prices, this is more expensive then a "chip" but much MUCH more useful, plus you can upload different tunes in just a few seconds, so if you want a richer tune for a track day you can just change it out using the X-Cal

You can do as they suggested... or get a Dyno tune.
your choice..
I prefer Dyno Tuning my self... :shrug:

Examples of 4- full 3l Cars. Pre Tunes and After the tune.
Keep in mind, the tune does NOT pickup alot of OVERALL HP... but you can DEFINITELY see a HUGE Difference in the Smoothness of the curve as well as the overall gains.
Again, your choice on which to go with.

this was my car... 98 CSVT Full 3L. 3l Intakes cams everything. Stock Air intake as well.
Looks at the HUGE difference between the Blue and red! it gained 4hp overall.. but in some areas as much as 20hp and 30 TQ!

DynoGraph.jpg

Similar Setup here.

DYnoRun.jpg

This is my buddy ryans car...
Full 3l
Stock SVT Manifolds-Gutted Y Pipe. Straight Test pipe inplace of Main Cat..
DynoGraph-1.jpg

DynoGraph-1.jpg

Full 3l Cougar. Cougar Stock Exhaust.
This car had Ridiculous gains! Look at the difference!

DynoGraph-2.jpg

Jmcmahon82

Uhh, Hi. Yeah. What exactly is he gonna tune on the dyno if he doesn't have an, oh I don't know, say an Xcal or at the very least an Apexi? :shrug:

Uhh, Hi. Yeah. What exactly is he gonna tune on the dyno if he doesn't have an, oh I don't know, say an Xcal or at the very least an Apexi? :shrug:

HE doesnt tune it. The speed shop would.

They change the Timing/fuel curves.

you can see the Fuel Ratios at the bottom of each chart.

In my case, i also set where my Fans turn on, tuned out the O2 Sensors (Future headers were planned) as well as DPFE sensor turned off.

And what exactly is the speed shop gonna use to perform this magical tune? You're giving him improper/missing information. You're making it sound like he can just put his car on a dyno and BAM! the speed shop can magically make adjustments. Again like I said he would need an Xcal like stated above or at the very least an Apexi.

And what exactly is the speed shop gonna use to perform this magical tune? You're giving him improper/missing information. You're making it sound like he can just put his car on a dyno and BAM! the speed shop can magically make adjustments. Again like I said he would need an Xcal like stated above or at the very least an Apexi.

Releax eurotour it's all good man......only because they can tune your car without an xcal:shrug:

They just connect to your stock pcm and make adjustments off that.

FYI a chip does the same thing as an xcal. Theres nothing wrong with that. Or letting a shop do a flash is acceptable. An Apexi is NOT!!

Keep in mind, the tune does NOT pickup alot of PEAK HP... but you can DEFINITELY see a HUGE Difference in the Smoothness of the curve as well as the overall gains...
Looks at the HUGE difference between the Blue and red! it gained 4hp peak.. but in some areas as much as 20hp and 30 TQ!
Fixed. :cool:

A good tune most certainly makes a very nice difference in power output and yields a smoother curve. However, your graphs are a tad misleading, (as most dyno-tuners purposely make them). You're comparing an improperly running engine, (most likely mismatched PCM, injectors and/or MAFS), to a tuned one. PLUS some or all of your "before" runs, are with a return spring of some sort on the IMRC cable. A return spring avoids a CEL when not running secondaries, but it also kills 20+tq and 10+hp at lower RPM. This is accounts for the vast majority of the large difference in the numbers up to 3600RPM.

Keep the PCM, injectors, and MAFS matched, and get rid of the return spring for the "before" runs, and the gains are MUCH less significant.

Fixed. :cool:

However, your graphs are a tad misleading, (as most dyno-tuners purposely make them). You're comparing an improperly running engine, (most likely mismatched PCM, injectors and/or MAFS), to a tuned one. PLUS some or all of your "before" runs, are with a return spring of some sort on the IMRC cable. A return spring avoids a CEL when not running secondaries, but it also kills 20+tq and 10+hp at lower RPM. This is accounts for the vast majority of the large difference in the numbers up to 3600RPM.

Keep the PCM, injectors, and MAFS matched, and get rid of the return spring for the "before" runs, and the gains are MUCH less significant.

All of these cars were 3l Lower, and uppers. SVT PCM and Injectors/fuel rail. and 3L maf.

Your right though, all had return springs to "Fool" the Computer. Although in each case, all of them had an IMRC still bolted to the car... BUT the imrc was NOT Set to WOT, It functioned as it would and should - the secondaries.
If the return spring were not there, the cars would be in Limp mode..

Compare these dyno's vs an SVT, youll see theyre very similar in Fuel and HP Curves. The Full 3L's Pick up HP faster, and die out sooner... They pick up TQ Faster and Die out sooner. But they are basically the same when it comes to the IMRC/Secondaries. 3600 ish RPM they ALL take a jump as the computer adds timing and fuel.

if your tuner knows what he's doing, and not doing a fly by tune on multiple cars, your gonna see a gain EVERYWHERE with or without the return spring on the IMRC. i expect to make big N/A power with my new 3L setup. i hope to break 225 WHP with the tune. should be possible, it pulls harder already than my last 3L at 205WHP untuned. i don't know how you guys are only pulling off power in the 180's, its just so low. gotta start modding those 3L's guys

if your tuner knows what he's doing, and not doing a fly by tune on multiple cars, your gonna see a gain EVERYWHERE with or without the return spring on the IMRC. i expect to make big N/A power with my new 3L setup. i hope to break 225 WHP with the tune. should be possible, it pulls harder already than my last 3L at 205WHP untuned. i don't know how you guys are only pulling off power in the 180's, its just so low. gotta start modding those 3L's guys

Thats exactly why.
Stock Exhaust Intakes cams.

SVT PCM and Injectors/fuel rail. and 3L maf.
There's your mismatch. The 3L MAFS is different from the SVT piece, which is what your PCM expects to have in there. That accounts for your before runs being all over the place.

If the return spring were not there, the cars would be in Limp mode.
Incorrect. The lack of a return spring generates a 1518 code and CEL, but the PCM actually bumps timing and adds fuel when it sees stuck-open secondaries.

Limp mode is initiated only in potentially engine damaging circumstances as depicted by the PCM. Most typically an overheat condition or a Type-A misfire. Stuck open secondaries is by no means, a potentially engine-damaging circumstance.

Back