• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to best remove screw cover

...About time somebody posted a rant on those summbisshes.

It might sound crazy, but I used an exacto-knife and found myself carving into it a bit, so I had a mechanical pencil lying about (fancier ones with the metallic tip), and applied a little pressure at angle and those things popped right out. I have been using that technique for the last two times I opened those things up.

Seriously, I've had these out at least 2-3 times over the years and it was never nearly as big of a deal as some of you guys are making it out to be. Take a real sharp, fine knife blade and pop the little things out.

Whoa, you people don't even know how to remove them?? Don't ruin them, they're spendy and your interior looks like isht without them!

Duct tape. Seriously. Put on a piecee, rub it on a bit, take it off. It probably won't come off with all the grease/dirt on the plastic. So then you take another piece of duct tape, put it on, rub it a but over the plug, and pull. It should come right out, totally unharmed.

Speed holes?:shrug:

Actually I never thought of using duct tape. oh well...

Duct tape didn't work? First time I've ever heard that. Did you use 2-3 different pieces? The first piece won't work 'cause the plastic is dirty, but the 2nd or 3rd clean piece should pull the plug right out. It's all I've ever done to get those buggers out, and it's worked great every time.

Seriously, I've had these out at least 2-3 times over the years and it was never nearly as big of a deal as some of you guys are making it out to be. Take a real sharp, fine knife blade and pop the little things out.

Not everyone has steady hands when handling sharp knives. ;)

Duct tape didn't work? First time I've ever heard that. Did you use 2-3 different pieces? The first piece won't work 'cause the plastic is dirty, but the 2nd or 3rd clean piece should pull the plug right out. It's all I've ever done to get those buggers out, and it's worked great every time.

Used 4 pieces....

Tape will only work for certain people. For some reason, some that I've removed are in extremely tight, with others are very loose. I've removed those caps from at least 3 different Contiques and they all have a different feel. :shrug:

The adhesive on duct tape isn't particularly strong unless it's had many months to set up and weather. :) Best thing I've found is 3M double-sided adhesive tape (the kind with the foam in between the two sides). They carry it at Wally World in the paint section. It may take you two or three little pieces if the plastic is oily or dirty. Press the tape on, and hold it with some pressure for a minute or so. When you pull your finger away, the tape will be stuck to your finger, and the plug will be stuck to the tape. Easy-peasy.

The adhesive on duct tape isn't particularly strong unless it's had many months to set up and weather. :) Best thing I've found is 3M double-sided adhesive tape (the kind with the foam in between the two sides). They carry it at Wally World in the paint section. It may take you two or three little pieces if the plastic is oily or dirty. Press the tape on, and hold it with some pressure for a minute or so. When you pull your finger away, the tape will be stuck to your finger, and the plug will be stuck to the tape. Easy-peasy.

Thanks man worked like a charm! :) I would recommend trying this!

Drivers side came out with only a few small pieces of foam tape. Passenger side took a few pieces of foam tape and an exacto knife to finally pry it out, but it took < 5 minutes for both sides and the tabs are still in perfect shape. :cool:

Back