• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to best remove screw cover

Brent372

Official SE Event Coordinator
I am trying to find a way to remove this screw cover without scratching it or the surrounding plastic.

DSCF0696.jpg

Any advice is appreciated. (Yes... I searched...)

I have had those covers off and back on so many times... I can't count that high.

The first time was a bear, but I got it out using a small jewelers screwdriver. Here is a tip: when you have it out, drill a very small hole in the center of it. Then in the future when you need to take it out you can simply use a pick tool, paper clip or other piece of thin metal in the shape of a hook and pull it right out. Makes life much easier down the road.

I just jabbed a pick in the center of the damn plug... IDC if there is a small hole in them, they suck anyways. They should have been made with a small notch on one spot you could put a pick or small screwdriver in.

Isn't there a small indent at one point on the plug/hole? I could swear there was. I've always just used my super sharp pocket knife.

I was pretty sure that these did too. Maybe it's the one in the door handle that I'm thinking of.

Isn't there a small indent at one point on the plug/hole? I could swear there was. I've always just used my super sharp pocket knife.

The plugs with indents are inside the door latch recess and door panel lower retainer spots, but sadly not up on the mirror cover section. I tried using a thin razor-knife blade when I took my door panels off for new speakers and it still left a noticeable "Kilroy was here" mark .....

I just used a small pick. I put enough pressure to make a little notch and pop it out. After I put it back in, I can work the plastic almost back to how it was originally just pushing it down hard. The mark is barely noticeable after.

Yah, those things are bull shiz. Dumb idea for that cap becaus you can't remove the door panel without taking that defrost corner off.....

Back