• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How raspy will my car be???

OBContour

CEG'er
I'm planning on doing a resonator delete, and adding a straight through Magnaflow muffler to my 98 contour with a 2.5(L). I already have a S.R.I. with a Spector filter on it, and it already sounds throatier. How raspy will it be when I get done????? I'm only asking because I don't want my car to sound ricey.

not possitive but since you are adding a muffler back in it shouldn't be an issue. others might be able to comment better.

i removed the resonator on my zetec and replaced it with a glasspack then removed the stock muffler and left the car alone and it's not too raspy. not sure on the v6 but on the i4 it's not too bad.

My resonator is deleted and have two straight -through mufflers, I find as long as I use 94 octane fuel(same price as 91 here) that there is little to no rasp. This is coming form a CSVT though, the 2.5l Contour is geared slightly different is it not? My point is that the low revs sound really nice on this engine, so if your not revving it up like some ricer I don't think you will find too much rasp, if any.

I just removed the resonator today, it sounds raspy on the outside, but sounds nice and throaty inside, i left the stock muffler in. I'm trying to get money for a new aftermarket muffler, has anyone tried the Cherry Bomb Vortex?

I just removed the resonator today, it sounds raspy on the outside, but sounds nice and throaty inside, i left the stock muffler in. I'm trying to get money for a new aftermarket muffler, has anyone tried the Cherry Bomb Vortex?

Ive had the Vortex on a different vehicle, not on a contour. Its got a nice deep sound

My resonator is deleted and have two straight -through mufflers, I find as long as I use 94 octane fuel(same price as 91 here) that there is little to no rasp. This is coming form a CSVT though, the 2.5l Contour is geared slightly different is it not? My point is that the low revs sound really nice on this engine, so if your not revving it up like some ricer I don't think you will find too much rasp, if any.
Contour svt and se v6 are geared the same if you are talking about the transmission and shouldnt be any sound difference either between the 2 engines if im not mistaken at least from my experience

2.5 mtx are all geared the same 2.0 has different ratio

I'm planning on doing a resonator delete, and adding a straight through Magnaflow muffler to my 98 contour with a 2.5(L). I already have a S.R.I. with a Spector filter on it, and it already sounds throatier. How raspy will it be when I get done????? I'm only asking because I don't want my car to sound ricey.
My car sounds kinda like a potato lol.....nah just joke, i like the way it sounds with stock complete exhaust and resontator but no cats doesnt have any rasp on mine

I have no cats whatsoever and no resonator on my 98, it only has a blip of rasp at a certain rpm when I'm on it, and I like the sound of it.

I have no cats whatsoever and no resonator on my 98, it only has a blip of rasp at a certain rpm when I'm on it, and I like the sound of it.
Is it a i4 or a v6 makes a big difference and also if it has 2 mufflers vs 1 muffler.....2 mufflers out the back with no resonator and no cats and a v6 will make it raspy as hell....even with stock mufflers,the exhaust gas flows different. when it splits out the back

Contour svt and se v6 are geared the same if you are talking about the transmission and shouldnt be any sound difference either between the 2 engines if im not mistaken at least from my experience

Well lets touch base on this a bit to shed some light on rasp. The rasp occurs inside the heads and increases in volume as the pulses reaches the headers and then the y-pipe. Initially the rasp being created in the heads...is mainly due to several issues. The main issue is the way the cylinder heads create combustion and how exhaust gases get released. Now the cpu program codes (tunes) on svt's are more aggressive and the fuel is managed by 19lb injectors vs the 17lbs found in the se's. The change in injectors thus increases the amount of fuel fed into the cylinder.. with the increase of volume of air flow that is found through our extrude honed process we are creating even more rasp. :(. Leaving the svt's to being more prone to rasp then the Se's. Nothing we can do about it there. Now many 98 svt's having a different fuel delivery...pcm programs have less drone as opposed to the 99 and 00 svt's.

So that being said you will be less likely to have rasp after removing the resonator...as long as you install something in it's place. Yet i'm not a fan of the drone that comes afterwards. Maybe i'm old...but my days of loud cars is over....unless it's a 60's or 70's muscle car. :)

ummm... did u guys just throw in the injectors for ••••s and giggles or something?
Ummmm are you bored ....Wtf dude obviously people change injectors for a reason do you have Common sense ?...No i did not change my injectors for poop and giggles my svt had blown engine so previous owner put a se motor and still used svt ecu and wasnt running right so i put svt 19# injectors,cheaper than hunting down a gyy3 ecu

it will be raspy have u ever heard a honda that isnt resonated.... yeah for some reason our motors sound like that... its not a good sound

Back