• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Do Stab-o-shocks leak?

Black EO

CEG'er
I noticed a leak under my SVT with 102K miles. It's a reddish fluid and looks like it's dripping from the stab-o-shock. Anyone ever seen them leak, or do I need to keep looking for another source of the leak?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like transmission fluid. The "fill" plug in the trans is pretty close to the stab-o-shock. When looking at the front of the car it would be about 6inches to the right of the stab-o-shock. Should be a allen head plug, make sure it is tight.

Okie-doke. I just got a better look. All the fluid is limited to the end of the Stab-o-Shock. In fact, I lifted it's boot, got a suction sound and a bunch more fluid dripped out of it.

Looks like a bad S-o-S? Where can I get a new one? I know Ford has discontinued them.

Good call. I still have three bottles in their sealed bags waiting to go in. I wanna see if a stiffer rear mount helps the shifting since the fluid was changed right before I bought the car.

I've been running Mobil 1 Syntec ATF in my dd for probably 15,000 miles without any problem whatsoever. :shrug:

Sounds like transmission fluid. The "fill" plug in the trans is pretty close to the stab-o-shock. When looking at the front of the car it would be about 6inches to the right of the stab-o-shock. Should be a allen head plug, make sure it is tight.

My original thought.

Yikes I'd be worried that there was ATF in my transmission.
There might be.

I did a fluid change...well helped last weekend and there was ATF in the trans on a CSVT.
Yep. :blackeye:

Well be glad you that stuff outta there. What went back in?
Purple goop. It's fun to get out of your hair...

Strangely, it shifts the same (fine) as it did with burn up ATF in it. The ATF was in there for at least the last 22,000 miles I've owned that car. :shrug:

Good call. I still have three bottles in their sealed bags waiting to go in. I wanna see if a stiffer rear mount helps the shifting since the fluid was changed right before I bought the car.

What's wrong with it? IMO, a stiffer mount won't really change anything like being hard to get into gear or anything. Just let me know on that mount. I'll be making them in the like 2 weeks.

To the OP- I would think that it would be like any other shock, and when it gets old and worn out, it starts to leak fluid. There shouldn't be a whole lot in there though.

What's wrong with it? IMO, a stiffer mount won't really change anything like being hard to get into gear or anything. Just let me know on that mount. I'll be making them in the like 2 weeks.

I'll be sure to let you know. The problem isnt a grind going into gears. Its more of the bucking and movement that makes it harder to find the next gear when you want to. Both my mazdas developed the same feeling and filling the mounts solved it.

I have a good used stab-o-shock if you need one. $10 shipped and it's yours.

My old car had an Energy Suspension insert in the front roll resistor and I thought that was a nice addition.

Back