• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How much would you pay for this contour SVT

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
If this car comes available to me, how much do you think it is worth knowing the following:
1. won't start, lack of spark (was running less than a week ago just fine)
2. possible dead cylinder/no compression
3. E0 - 155,XXX miles
4. new clutch and diff less than 2 years ago
5. E1 wheels
6. konis/ H&R's possibly (really low)
7. borla cat back, i think
8. little rust, decent body, few dings, paint chipping on bumpers, missing 2 jack covers
9. check the pics for the interior

I was thinking no more than $500ish?

10-26-08001.jpg

10-26-08002.jpg

10-26-08003.jpg

10-26-08004.jpg

10-26-08005.jpg

10-26-08006.jpg

10-26-08013.jpg

10-26-08014.jpg

10-26-08016.jpg

I wouldn't pay any more than $800 for it, lots of body work to be done, or if you part it out you could make a pretty penny.

Offer $500 and see what they say.

Edit: its a 98 and probably has wiring harness problems, it would be a part out in my mind, unless you had a good wiring harness laying around and a good motor. No compression in one cylinder to me says time for a motor (be it 3.0L or 2.5). probably has a valve issue. In my mind the car is a lost cause unless you have the parts for it laying around, I would part it out and benefit the CEG community because of it, along with making a couple of bucks off of it too :)

I am a true contour SVT saver. I only part them if they are trashed, I hate knowing they are being parted, it hurts inside :eek: because I don't have one yet.....

I am a true contour SVT saver. I only part them if they are trashed, I hate knowing they are being parted, it hurts inside :eek: because I don't have one yet.....

understandable, but look at how much money you would have to put into the car to bring it back to a nice clean car condition... Plus your 95 is way nicer then quite a lot of SVTs on this community, I remember you saying that the wiring harness is cracking on this car, fixing that harness is a headach; and finding a suitable replacement is time consuming and expensive. I personally would love to fix it too, but the extra cash you could make from parting it out would look really nice after all of the money and time you spent on your 3L project.

SVT contours are nice cars, I love them myself, but im not emotionally attached to every one I come accross, im emotionally attached to my T-Red, I would hate to have to part her out, but if some guy sells me his T-red for dirt cheap with a blown motor and a bad wiring harness and a bunch of rusty body panels in my mind I think "there is a lot of good parts on this car that other people would want/be able to use"

And there always is the possibility of the car being hacked together, you said yourself there was a new trans installed 2 years ago, who knows if that shop snapped a bunch of bolts in the subframe or who knows if you willl run into that issue when you are tearing it apart.

On the other side of things, if you just put a replacement SVT motor into the car, I bet you could find one complete with a wiring harness, if that were the case then you would be in business, you have yourself a nice winter car... however, if it were your winter car/daily driver, I've seen wisconsin winters with Snow fall and such, with a car that low you will struggle driving it around, you would want to swap the suspension for something stock or at least not nearly as low.

either way, both sides of "should I part it? or Should I rebuild" can be argued, if that car were my car, and I had a lead on an SVT motor with wiring harness I probably would put a new motor in. If I couldn't find a good motor with a good harness I probably would part it out and put the cash towards my daily driver and fixing a couple of the little things that I never had the time/money to fix.

Joe, I am generally a believer in saving them too, but this one needs a lot of work, and honestly, some of the SVT items that seems to bring in the money when parting, aren't in great shape, like the interior. I think your $500 would be fair.

That thing sure is rough!! :eek: If you feel like totally dismantling a car to bring it back to health, then go for it! $500-$750 max I would give for it :shrug:

I'm glad there are more people saying to save it. I would say the 500$ is fair no more than 700~
But, it all comes down to if you really want it... It will be hard to resell even if you get it back to good condition, just because of the economy and stuff.

Might make a nice DD if you get it to a decent shape?

Edit: I think thats a Bosal exhaust?

not a true borla catback,tips are too big and too far out from the bumper. koni struts for sure...if it has a dead cylinder i'd say no more than 600

max of 6-700 and I would see if it was just a wiring issues or not. if it doesnt need an engine then fix the gremlins throw stock suspension on it and make it your beater.

I paid $800 for my 00 CSVT with a blown motor (still running) though I didn't reallize it is as rough as it is. ohwell I definately vote save her... part the regular contours and the wrecks. $500 does seem a fair price.

I would say it was worth saving. Get it running and then go for paint. If the wiring harness is coming apart, it really wouldn't take that long to go through it to get it fixed.

If this thing still runs and the motor holds it's fluids just fine, I will give it a whirl to save it for a beater. I would probably attempt some "bomb" or "rattle can" applications to the rust issues fo sho.

I agree with parting it also to help out everyone too, but I feel we are a little flooded with SVT parts floating around. If I can get the wiring figured out and it runs, then the girl will want her car back but I don't think I will get that deep into it on her dime either....... I appreciate the honesty.

For her sake, I hope I can get it road worthy again...... for my sake, I hope I can't and have some possibilities.

Do you think she'd be pretty pissed off if you tell her you can't fix it and a few weeks later you're running around in it?

I would only fix it if it were going to be cheap to get back on the road. No point in doing any body work in my opinion. Not when you've got rust issues. 5-600 for a cheap beater, but I wouldn't go further than that.

The rust shouldn't be that huge of an issue. Take the bumper off and sand the area, take the windshield out and sand that too. It is rough, but like everyone said go up to around $700. If you want to try and get it going, I don't see what the problem would be. It should make a decent dd if you replace the motor. It is amazing what a good cleaning can do for a car.

Back