• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how fast are lotus's up top

The CSVT is helped,

good, then you show me a contour that runs in the 12's - oh, wait...

my point is (and this is just a hypothesis), the lotus is a damn light car no matter what. from a dead stop, without a gorilla or a really fat chick sitting on the trunk, it probably spins a :censored::censored::censored::censored: ton when being launched. and that's why those 2 cars run the asme 0-60 and 0-100 times.

The CSVT is helped, but then the axles snap, plus the only after-market diff offered for the MTX-75 is not a true LSD, but an ATB.

Not true. Kaaz makes a good one for the mtx75. I only know of one gearbox in the us that has one. He likes it a lot better than his old atb. Especially in the sand.

Elise N/A is 1976 lbs and has 190 hp, the S/C'd ones have 218 hp and if its an Exige, well, its heavier...2076 lbs and has 240 S/C'd hp, its simple math really:laugh: I had the joy of watching one infront of me on the Dragon last year and let me say this, the term "goes around like its on rails" gets thrown around alot but this car really deserves it:cool:

www.autoeuropesales.com

good, then you show me a contour that runs in the 12's - oh, wait...

my point is (and this is just a hypothesis), the lotus is a damn light car no matter what. from a dead stop, without a gorilla or a really fat chick sitting on the trunk, it probably spins a :censored::censored::censored::censored: ton when being launched. and that's why those 2 cars run the asme 0-60 and 0-100 times.

The newer Exige has adjustable TC and the Euros, well, they get launch control. I will say this though, they come with double digit treadwear tires though, so hooking isn't as bad as you might think.

www.autoeuropesales.com

so now has the debate shifted to modded lotus' vs. modded tours?

ya, my attention was lost when someone had to throw in the comparison to the GT3.... seriously.

lets go back to the comparison of what our platform is capable of using 'commercially' available parts/kits compared with base or base+ elises.

stock to stock, the elise is going to hand you your ass, simply put.

3L to stock, your still going to be out gunned but I think you'd be able to respectably keep up.

blown 3L to stock, you should have an advantage if you can drive with a certain amount of skill. Would definitely be an interesting comparison to see.

As far as handling goes, theres definitely enough parts 'commercially' available for our car to be competitive against them. (for me that includes D2's with the 11f/9r spring rates, tubular LCAs, tubular toes, subframe connectors, st200 rstb, and more things that aren't worth listing out). I think you'd be able to do some very embarrising things to the base model elises... but I doubt theres much you can do against any of the track intended models.

And weight wise, theres alot of lightness you can add. 2700#s should be pretty easy to hit for most people. I think I'm pretty close to my 2500# goal.

I definitely think you could make the argument of attaining lotus level performance.

ya, my attention was lost when someone had to throw in the comparison to the GT3.... seriously.

lets go back to the comparison of what our platform is capable of using 'commercially' available parts/kits compared with base or base+ elises.

stock to stock, the elise is going to hand you your ass, simply put.

3L to stock, your still going to be out gunned but I think you'd be able to respectably keep up.

blown 3L to stock, you should have an advantage if you can drive with a certain amount of skill. Would definitely be an interesting comparison to see.

As far as handling goes, theres definitely enough parts 'commercially' available for our car to be competitive against them. (for me that includes D2's with the 11f/9r spring rates, tubular LCAs, tubular toes, subframe connectors, st200 rstb, and more things that aren't worth listing out). I think you'd be able to do some very embarrising things to the base model elises... but I doubt theres much you can do against any of the track intended models.

And weight wise, theres alot of lightness you can add. 2700#s should be pretty easy to hit for most people. I think I'm pretty close to my 2500# goal.

I definitely think you could make the argument of attaining lotus level performance.

First of all, are you serious! Let me see, a 2700 lb Contour, if you had one and/or could get one down to that weight, still is FWD and even with a 3.0L turbo you've got to hook up the tires and carry the speed into a corner (if your talking about track action or auto-X) and even with your "miracle" weight the Lotus Elise base is still 750 lbs lighter and mid-engine, maybe you were thinking about going with an aluminum frame and moving the Duratec behind the front seats, maybe I missed that, sorry You would take the best driver in the world in this "mythical" Tour and an average track guy in the base Elise and you'd need a telescope to see the 4 round, LED tailights of the Elise! BTW, incase you don't know, I used to own a CSVT, a very nicely modded one if I do say so and I'm not saying the Tour isn't a nice car, it is but the bottom line is this, Lotus is a purpose built car and comparing a family car, modded to 350 hp and thinking its going to come close to the word COMPETING with a Lotus is:crazy::crazy::crazy:

yeah, I have to agree with him. :cry:

Its nothing to really hand your head about, I mean its a purpose built car and the Contour is built for another purpose which isn't on the same block, planet or universe as the Elise/Exige. Now if your talking straight line acceleration though, well, the Lotus doesn't have the best top speed though and for the reason why, well, I'll need to ask the boss about that one. I will say this though, it will get to 150 faster then the Contour but for a car with its aerodynamics and completely flat, aluminum floorpans underneath, you'd think it would top out faster:confused:

Just to keep this thread alive for another post.

Me in my contour > almost anyone in an elise. Seriously. The faster driver will almost always win. Of course the car counts for a little margin. It's like I said earlier. More times than not, I finish faster than a elise/exige.

^drag racing excluded^

Just to keep this thread alive for another post.

Me in my contour > almost anyone in an elise. Seriously. The faster driver will almost always win. Of course the car counts for a little margin. It's like I said earlier. More times than not, I finish faster than a elise/exige.

^drag racing excluded^

I'm glad to see the person in the "miracle" Contour has finally checked in with us on this:troutslap: The car is a tool and the Lotus is a scalpel whereas the Contour is something Billy Mayes sells late at night!

Back