• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How do I get the drums off?!?

TomB985

New CEG'er
So I tried to pull the drums off my car earlier tonight to see the condition of the rear brakes. Never tried it on a car like this, and all I had to go on was my shop manual.

So I pulled the rubber plug out of the backing plate and tried to release the shoes, but for the life of me I couldn't get them to release! I used a screwdriver and tried to pry the release lever rearward by moving the screwdriver forward, but I couldn't get enough leverage to get the thing to release! The shoes tightened against the drums when I moved the lever forward or back, but it would not let go of the drums!

Is there a trick to this? Or simply use a bigger hammer? I don't think the drums have ever been off this car, it only has 77,000 miles!

I don't recall there being a spot to get at the adjuster. I know there is one to check for wear. you just need to try the drums off ....

Hrmm...this could difficult! Here's what my shop manual says:

brakes-1.jpg

In 77,000 miles I don't think they've even been removed. The rust is thick enough that I have to chip away around 1/8" of rust to even get a spot to beat on.

Release the brake shoes? Never heard of that step. The shoes shouldn't be engaged unless you have the e-brake on, so they shouldn't be touching the drums. Just pound the face of the drum (the "ring" around the lug studs), and along the outside edge. Don't do it TOO hard or you can damage the wheel bearing, but you can probably use a bit more force than you've been using. A mini 3 lb sledge is a tool I'd consider ideal for the task.

I always had a nasty habit of using a puller and a hammer to persuade brake drums to come off. I do not condone my actions. But the drums to "pop" off when they are hit with a hammer. There's a safe way to do and then there's the crazy way. Don't apply an immense amount of pressure on a puller and then hit the drum, ease your way up and never stand in front of it. I've never had anything come flying out, but stuff does pop off and fall to the ground.

Release the brake shoes? Never heard of that step.

this is normal of drum brakes. there is an adjust built in that needs to be backed off so that hte drum will come off easier. yes the drums will not be contacting the drum when the pedal isn't being pushed to the floor but as the drum wears there becomes a ridge around the edge. typically you back off the adjuster to the shoes clear this and the drum will slide right off. since the adjuster on our cars needs to be reset from the front it can't be done. so you have to hammer off the drums. and yes be careful of the wheel bearing, after 130 k .... yeah .... :blackeye:

Back