• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Home-made custom svt gauges

So before i go about dismantling everything i've been searching but cant find any tutorial on dismantling the gauges... How do I do it? how is the green layer in there and stuff too?

hah nevermind that was easier then i thought... just a couple of tabs and the lens comes right off

I'm working on a Mystique/nonsvt MPH gauge right now if anyone wants the final product pm me

Fyi don't buy transparencies if you don't have them fedex kincos charges you 75cents!!!! per sheet (B/W) and a pack of transparancies at staples is 40 bucks!

large enough... i can post pix if you want in a bit
sm..jpg
glowsm..jpg
bigsm..jpg

UPDATE AS WELL
so went to fedex kinkos... got "transparencies"... they weren't transparencies... idk what they were. so i took it back got real transparancies.. for me here's what worked

PRINT (LAZER or whatever) the gauges once on plain white paper... cut them out
get the transparency... put the transparency over the paper.. binder clip it.. for the adhesive i used .. i had super 77 3m stuff.. put it on LIGHTLY very lightly and from a distance.. i held one arm out and put it on from about 1-2 feet away just a quick spritz.. then set it down.. dont push too hard the lazer stuff will melt and cause smudging... i'll do a photo tutorial later on probably but yeah it worked great for me with 2 layers.. the light is even too... looks great in light for me...

i forgot to cut out the wholes for the odometer and had to do that once it was attached.. which sucked but oh well

Damn son you work quickly! They look good! Im not a fan of the 2 different font styles, but thats just me being picky. I LOL'ed when I saw the "vtec yo"

How hard was it to get the needles on in the right spots again?

PS...what does WAT mean?

yeah do you want my scanned copy ... you can modify it.. i know i got kinda lazy and just did a b/w scan got rid of the 55 mph thing changed the font the other guy had but didn't bother with mine
i think i might re do it cause the more people talk about it the more it bothers me

idk what to do about the speedo for calibrating i got it so it's 4mph off but i need a long straight road set the cruise controll and my phone(gps speedo) to calibrate while i work the needle on it...

the rpm's is easy just let the car warm up and slap it on on the 750 range... the gas i started with a full tank and just slapped it on.. the temp gauge i just put it on when it was cold and the car was on... (you should leave the lens off the gauges while you're calibrating or w.e you want to call it.. just loosely place the gauges in...)

THE WAT is from 4chan.org/o/ / watracing.org
http://boards.4chan.org/o/res/4047635
and
http://boards.4chan.org/o/res/4050526
are two threads that have the gauges i made on it
they'll probably be available for the next 12 hours before they die...
it's kind of a inside bogus company but if the site had a racing company it would be wat

ALSO DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR WITH THE GAUGES OFF>> THE BATTERY WILL NOT CHARGE (i think) or atleast for me .. i drove it maybe 4-5 miles and the windshield wipers started slowing down... the sub turned off he lights were dimming.. i got it home and the car was basically totally dead... charged it up and it's fine now.. but just a warning... idk if it was a random coincidence but i cant believe it is

So car, this is all ive got. New font, added the Mystique logo and added a few extra lines around the speedo. Working on the fuel/temp now.

Picture2-4.png

Picture1-6.png

looks great lol would you mind sending me the modified you got?
for a joke i put JET-A ONLY for my fuel but yeah i really like what this has so far... i just tested my car idk why the temp needle now sits on the bottom of the dash untill you turn it on, it didnt used to i probably broke it or something... but here are some more photos of how i did mine... just make sure not to spray much of the adhesive .. and be gentile dont press them together hard. or you'll get running/oosing/blocked light.. like this
jetleaksm..jpg
clipsm..jpg
jetinsm..jpg

P.S. for the temp gauge mine has i used wingdings or webdings or whatever that font is... but i think it's kinda small in mine.. i wish i had gone bigger

I'm thinking someday when i'm bored i'll try the seatbelt guy and change him to something awesome

ALSO DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR WITH THE GAUGES OFF>> THE BATTERY WILL NOT CHARGE (i think)

You are correct - mine did this too. I was thinking just before it died "hmm, since the gauges are out it isn't adding to my odometer", then I lost power :laugh:.

Just thought id show mine. This is version 2 since I wasn't happy about how the 1st set came out. This set is far more improved.

2011-04-03_13-16-00_983.jpg
[/IMG]

If you can use a screwdriver effectivly, there shouldnt be much of a problem. The hardest part is getting the needles back on in the right positions.

Those are Mondeo trim rings. Once you take the gauge cluster apart, the clear glass and the black part around the gauges comes off as one piece. you just have to slip the rings in through the holes if that made any sense whatsoever.

Lmao!! Yes that makes sence to me. Now I guess my next ? would be is, were to find the rings? Can they be found somewhere on the internet? They are B/A looking, and would look great with the blue lighting mod I'm going with.

Can someone make a HVAC overlay for Pre 98 Mystique ? :(

The overlay for a pre 98 (and 98 year mystiques) is a contoured piece with green letters painted on. The only way to change it (that i can think of) is to make a template using photoshop or illustrator and having it printed in vinyl. im not sure how that would work but its worth a try...

Back