• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Grinding sound at startup - bad starter

PurpleMystique

Hard-core CEG'er
My SVT has had a lot of trouble trying to start - the starter motor will whir but it won't "catch" and start. I have to try about 20-30 times before it will finally start, and this has happened twice in the past two days. I'm assuming this means I have a bad bendix.

Starters on eBay are going for ~$100 or so, and they're ~$145+core charge at Autozone, O'Reilly's, and Advance Auto. Advance Auto does list a Starter Repair Kit for $33. Would this fix my problem?

I need to get this taken care of before I get completely stranded somewhere.

Take it apart, clean it, and properly lubricate it.
That is what she said? :shrug: :laugh:

I would just get a new one and call it a day. That way you have a warrenty on the part and it is only $140 to solve your problem.

Try this, turn the key to the on position and hold it there for a few seconds, the slowly turn to the start position. My svt did the samething for awhile, this was how I milked it.

Try this, turn the key to the on position and hold it there for a few seconds, the slowly turn to the start position. My svt did the samething for awhile, this was how I milked it.

Thanks for the tip! It worked the one time I tried, we'll see how it goes from here on out. I have plans to do a bunch of stuff to my engine in the next couple weeks so hopefully I can put off the starter until then.

I just did my starter...bought it for $38 from here: http://www.amazon.com/Dorset-6656N-New-Starter/dp/B001C6OZXY

You'll have to remove the battery box and intake tube to gain access to the starter. Removing the UIM helps, too. The bolts holding the starter to the tranny were torqued down really tight and it took me about 3 hours and the help of 2 other friends to break them loose. From then on out it was a breeze...disconnect the leads, maneuver the old starter out, throw the new one in. The new starter may grind for a few days (up to a week) but it should eventually catch and the car will turn over every time :)

I just did my starter...bought it for $38 from here: http://www.amazon.com/Dorset-6656N-New-Starter/dp/B001C6OZXY

You'll have to remove the battery box and intake tube to gain access to the starter. Removing the UIM helps, too. The bolts holding the starter to the tranny were torqued down really tight and it took me about 3 hours and the help of 2 other friends to break them loose. From then on out it was a breeze...disconnect the leads, maneuver the old starter out, throw the new one in. The new starter may grind for a few days (up to a week) but it should eventually catch and the car will turn over every time :)

I'll be pulling my battery box, intake tube, and UIM anyway in the next couple of weeks, so I'll do this then. I also plan on redoing some of the battery-to-starter wiring since part of it is exposed and one wire melted to the EGR tube wrap.

Oh, and just so I'm 100% sure about this - I'm using the Contour starter on my '01 Taurus 3.0, right?

My SVT has had a lot of trouble trying to start - the starter motor will whir but it won't "catch" and start. ....I need to get this taken care of before I get completely stranded somewhere.
You can't get stranded with a starter problem if you have a MTX. Just put the car in gear, bump the rear bumper a few times, and try again. Most times, it will "catch" and start.

If not, get someone to help you push start the car. ;)

I had this a few years back. I thought it was the starter but after pulling the starter I noticed that the teeth on the stock flywheel were worn pretty bad. I ended up replacing the starter and the flywheel and just a few months after replacing the flywheel, my new flywheel cracked and needed to be replaced again. It sucks pulling the atx out of these cars.:blackeye:

Back