• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hi all, Im from Michigan too!

myclodel

CEG'er
Anybody local to me? Shelby Twp here, about 30 north of Detroit.

Just got 98 Contour SVT yesturday, and having a couple probs, was hoping to maybe meet some locals and get to know some other owners and maybe learn some stuff.

Thanx, have a good one.
Tom

Sweet, because I am having some lol. It is def running better now though, it at least starts up every time now.

Thanks.

Sweet, I think I have only seen one before lol.

I didn't take any pics yet, but here are the ones from the ad the car was listed in. Ive had it for 4 or 5 days no2038825650102495289&.jpgw2322514540102495289&.jpg.2003247550102495289&.jpg
2389908070102495289&.jpg
2799424130102495289&.jpg

I live Rochester Shelby border. Should meet sometime. I have been seeing a few CSVT. I pretty much see atleat like 3 or 4 a week. But then again I drive a moving truck so im on the road a lot.

ContourGuy.. How much for clutch install? Spec2 is toast.

Yeah for sure, I wonder of yours is the one I have seen then. I'm at 20 and Dequindre. How do you like the Spec2?

Btw, not looking forward to changing a clutch on this, I never worked on a frontwheel drive car like this before... It would take me from start to clean up, just shy of an hour to swap a trans/clutch on my foxbody's Ive had. Thats what I'm used to working on, I have much to learn about these though. Least I got it starting good now, just have to finish vacume leak/o2 sensors(if needed), and system install, for this weeks plans(speakers should arive Tuesday, Ill make a new thread for that stuff some Tuesday.

I put a trans in this car last week for a car dealer...and an exhaust manifold, y-pipe, 2 axles, driver rear spring/strut(used non svt) and a passenger inner and outer tie rod...this car blew the diff so bad!

IMGP1419.jpg

IMGP1420.jpg

IMGP1421.jpg

I shoulda took some afters...i feel like i saved another one...lmao

although he had me do nothing to the engine, so please dont blame me for no starts/how it runs...:(

A new cat-back exhasut will fix the rest of the exhaust leaks. theres pin-holes everywhere from weldrot!

AC should just need a recharge. Recommend an alignment, rear toe arms were mangled from improper towing.

If you need a clutch install and you supplied the clutch i'd do it for 350 because i just had this one apart and antisiezed everything. I have a couple clutches laying around though, fairly decent luk set-up for 175, a sachs pressure plate and svt friction at 50% for 100. i have no slave cylinders.

These are used sets i'v acquired through various replacements on customer cars! i have no good slave cylinders.

typical price for me to do a trans or a clutch is 5-6 depends how terrible the car is. i also do bumper to bumper everything on most any cars!

Steve-O
Fairlane Ford Heavy Tech
State Master Mechanic
Ford Senior Technician

Wow, am I glad I found this forum then, nice to know who worked on my car lol.

I must say, I think the starting prob may of been the maf wires not plugged in all the way, because after I unplugged it and plugged it back in, I have not had a starting prob in the last couple days. No matter if its cold/warm, first start, last start, its all good now.

Still have my p1131, p1132, and p1152 codes though, I have 1 upstream 02, but didn't put it yet, was going to look more for vacume leaks first. Have not found one yet though.

Any other info you have in this car? Learned a alot more from you already. I do plan on fixing it back up, and maybe the 3.0 swap(def will be looking more into turbo/sc after the car is solid once again. I really miss my tt mustang, and look forward to having some fun with this car.

It shifts good, though there are some vibrations I feel when I start pushing the clutch down, does not seem like it should be there. But it seems you know much more about this car then me lol, where should I start with repairs?

Thanks again,
Tom

Starting issue is not MAF wires i know that much. iv never seen it not start yet so i can't say exactly say what the culprit is though. Where would you wanna start on it? the car isn't the worst overall though. its definetely got plenty of stupid little crap but nothing terrible, suspension is tight, brake pads and rear calipers had a hardware kit installed i noticed. rear subframe is rotted and collapsed from a floor jack. it has lower rocker rot that you noticed i'm sure. definetely could use a tune-up.

i will say i never touched the flywheel/pressure plate/friction. only the trans. i used the junkyard trans slave cylinder attached to the used trans. i lubricated the slave though with AeroKroil. It felt fine to me when i drove it. I don't think it has a clutch issue or trans issue.

No not at all, the trans, clutch feels solid. Shifts good, sometimes it drives great through all the rpm's, other times, it stutters up till about 3 grand, maybe 3 1/2.

I will have to check into the rear subframe, how bad is lol? I payed 1900 for it, I know it will be nice when done fixing it. First and formost, I want to get my cel light off. I just dont know for sure if its the 02's or a vacume leak. The kid said the had an 02 done, but didn't say what one.

Yeah, I dont know what the starting issue was, but its def gone now so thats good. Had the codes cleared yesturday, started it many times, drove for like half the day before it ever came back on.

When it did have the starting probs, it just would not start like it it was starved for fuel. Sometimes it would almost go, and shoot out white smoke from the exhaust, and die back out
however, once it finaly started, it was good to go after warming up.....now, it starts up good all the time, after a few secs it drops its idle down just under a grand and there she sits.

I know once I get the cel off, I am going to do wires/plugs/filter/oil for starters. Could use some breaks in the rear it sounds/feels. Need to get the E-brake working. Stereo goes in Tuesday, would like to get everything fixed in the next month or two and then focus on getting the body back in shape and paintjob.

Def have alot to do on this thing thats for sure, and I needed to buy a car the day I did, I would of liked to wait and spend another grand or so on a mint one, but it was this or a real beater, and Ide rather fix this up, so here I am.

Thanks again for all the help, def likeing this forum and great group of ppl so far it seems.

Back