• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Heatshield Group buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either way.... it *should* transfer less heat than a RubberMaid (rubberish material) trash can will.

There was a similar discussion a while ago and a statement was made that plastic will radiate more of its absorbed heat than aluminum would. One of the referenences was to the heat radiating beneath a plastic slide vs beneath a metal slide... which is completely true. You can also put thermal tape on it if you want it to absorb even less heat.

Has anyone considered that the aluminum will soak up heat and release it into the "filter zone." Most K&N heatshields are made of plastic for this very reason.

Like it's been said, this topic was discussed in length on the old forums. And what I took away from that discussion is that it's not going to make a whole world of difference between the 2 materials to say that one will provide better power or gains than the other. So I say...you have a point but the outcome of using plastic vs. metal in my mind, is that it doesn't effect it enough to worry about it. (This is my opinion, agree or disagree if you wish, but do it in another thread so this one doesn't get clouded up with crap)

I hope it was worth the wait.....

DSC01919.jpg

DSC01923.jpg

DSC01926.jpg

DSC01924.jpg

Its riveted instead of welded, but the rivets are alot stronger then the couple of tac it would have had.

At this point, I will start asking for full payment from the rest of the people. Production will start monday afternoon or tuesday morning, I dont anticipate it taking longer then a week.

Those who have already fully paid will have their shield shipped first, and then it will travel down the list on a first come first serve basis.

Thanks everybody!

That looks great, it's well worth the wait, and maybe I can test run it at the strip before the return of our pacific northwest monsoon season.

Pudmunkie,

With this Heat shield, has the design been created as an attempt to seal off the heat w/ the hood liner in or w/ the hood liner removed?

I just recently removed my liner and the rubber hood seal in the rear (by the cabin filter) to get more air flow and to reduce under hood temps. I actually can see a difference on the temp gauge as before doing this the needle was constantly in the middle of the temp gauge and now it is constantly slightly lower than the middle. Definitely noticeable on the gauge at least.

Anyway back on topic....what would be the better thing to do w/ this heat shield. Leave the liner out or put it back.

Thanks

Pudmunkie,

With this Heat shield, has the design been created as an attempt to seal off the heat w/ the hood liner in or w/ the hood liner removed?

I just recently removed my liner and the rubber hood seal in the rear (by the cabin filter) to get more air flow and to reduce under hood temps. I actually can see a difference on the temp gauge as before doing this the needle was constantly in the middle of the temp gauge and now it is constantly slightly lower than the middle. Definitely noticeable on the gauge at least.

Anyway back on topic....what would be the better thing to do w/ this heat shield. Leave the liner out or put it back.

Thanks

Id leave the liner out, my car hasnt had one in for the longest time.

The shield is secured between the maf adaptor, and your filter. It will not move. The edging that will come with it, will not fully seal against the hood, like rubber door molding would. It does however keep enough hot air out to keep underhood temps down!

Just a little something to add to Pud's last post...

For that complete seal against the hood, you CAN get that rubber moulding from any hardware store. It cost like $2 for a bunch of it, and is really just a little more reassurance on top of this awesome heatsheild. If you choose not to get the rubber moulding, its nothing major enough to mention. (even though I just did)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back