• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Group Buy: Full 3L Coil Pack Bracket

ive read on the Taurus forums that its supposedly possible to change the plugs without removing the intake on the 04s but i really dont see how. like beans said, its not hard to pull off the UIM so im not worried about having the coil pack behind the manifold.

I can't even count the number of times I've taken off my intake manifold, don't think that's a big deal. Plus how often do you change plugs/wires?

True. I just know that with my SVT UIM I can change the plugs and wires without having to pull the UIM. May not be possible with the 3L UIM's... haven't had to do it before. I was just trying to avoid buying gaskets everytime or having to cut new ones for my ST220. However now that Bugzuki is making the spacers I tweaked to allow for the factory 04+ UIM gaskets it shouldn't be a big deal as those gaskets are cheap, ~$6 for a set.

I'm just concerned that back there even with the spacers that Bugzuki is making for my ST220 UIM that there will not be much room for the coil pack with the 04+ valve covers. If it fits I'm all for the last location as well.

Yeah i don't blame you for being concerned. I'm going to be using the split port UIM with a spacer to make this work. :crazy:

On the Taurus there is a lot more room behind the intake then there is on the Contour with the Taurus intake. I have changed plugs on them without removing the intake but there is only like an inch and a half space on the Contour. As you can tell from the last picture. I could see removing the wires if you took your time and had patience. But you would have to stick your hand in from the passenger side, plugs seem impossible.

I think I am going to try and make a bracket for the back first and if that fails I will look at position 3 (I think it was).

I have been working on it but have been busy, so I have ignored it more than I should.
I will try to make some more time to work on it.

Ok, I finally made some more progress on this. Here is the first example I have made up in Pro/E. I am working on a make shift 3D scanning system to help me better build around existing geometry. Once I have that done this types of things will go much quicker.

Thanks for the patience. Here are some tester pics of the CAD models.

CoilBracket04052..jpg

CoilBracket04051..jpg

So how will that bolt on exactly? I'm guessing from your previous post that your going for the back side mounting still. But will that place the coil pack sideways with respect to the valve cover then? Having trouble envisioning it on the car.

The top single mount looks like it will mount to one of the coil on plug bolt holes.. and the rear 2 mounts would be bolted on the valve covers bolt holes...?

great job BTW, that looks awesome. Wish i had those skills.

So how will that bolt on exactly? I'm guessing from your previous post that your going for the back side mounting still. But will that place the coil pack sideways with respect to the valve cover then? Having trouble envisioning it on the car.

The top single mount looks like it will mount to one of the coil on plug bolt holes.. and the rear 2 mounts would be bolted on the valve covers bolt holes...?

great job BTW, that looks awesome. Wish i had those skills.

Thanks for the replies. That is the intended location. But after the question I looked back at the pictures and realized I was designing to center the coil pack over the timing chain area. It actually needs to be moved over to the side to fit correctly. Time to get started on revision 2.

Here is the picture of the desired location.

View attachment 7005

attachment.php

I thought everyone wanted this location? ^

Why won't that work?

Ya know what, you're right. I guess I have been too busy.
I will I will start working on that design.

Thanks for getting me back on track. That was my favorite as well.
Here I'll give myself that trout:troutslap:

I have sometime tomorrow evening, so I will get some design work done on it. Thanks for your patience.

I got some work done on the bracket. I got the general shape and the mounting locations. Now I just need to do some verification and adjustments to get it all to fit. Once I am confident with the paper design I will hack out a metal one. Then, if that works I will have a prototype made.

Here is a teaser pic. It doesn't look as nice as the 2003 bracket, but it is hidden under the manifold. I added some holes to keep the weight down, not that it added that much weight.

ha-coil-2000..jpg

I still need to work on it and probably adjust height and placement of the coil left and right.

Looks good :cool: Will it clear the 2007, ST220 UIM as it hangs back over the rear valve cover? Looks like it might be a bit close. Just curious as to how your test fitting it. Thanks!

Back