• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Group Buy: Full 3L Coil Pack Bracket

How in the world does that thing mount? If I had to take a guess that thing hangs over the bulge on the back of the valve cover and bolts go into the COP threaded holes and then the back bolts onto the head?

The back bolts on to the head and the front two bolts go onto the studs that stick out the top of the valve cover bolts. Then the flat horizontal part goes over the top of the lump in the valve cover.

Oh, I just went and took a picture of the previous prototype to show better than I can explain. Of course this picture is of the old bracket that does not work.

CoilBracket0405..jpg

But, now that you mentioned the Coil-in-plug mounting locations and I thought about the holes at the back of the valve cover, I am thinking some more.

That might take out a lot of the variablility I am struggling with. I need to get a 3D scanner. Then, I could scan everything in and make something that fit the first time. Anyone have a couple grand to donate?

But, now that you mentioned the Coil-in-plug mounting locations and I thought about the holes at the back of the valve cover, I am thinking some more.

That might take out a lot of the variablility I am struggling with.

I was talking about the bolt hole on the cylinder head not the valve cover. I don't think you would want to use the bolt on the valve cover as that would mess with the thread engagement on the gasket sealing joint. I would use the COP holes on the valve cover and the rear bolt hole on the cylinder head just below the valve cover as it appears you are already doing.

I have to imagine if you use slotted holes and held a position tolerance on the rear cylinder head bolt hole with respect to those slots you'd be sitting pretty good.

I was never planning to have you put the bracket below the head of the bolt to mess with engagement. I was going to specify that double ended bolts should be used in those locations. The bolts from the 2.5L are the same as the 3L. So, most of the time there should be some of those left.

But, it might be easier to use the CoilonPlug holes. Then I could just supply some bolts the right size and there would be no issues. I'll see what I think when I get the next prototype back and see if I can hack it together to fit those locations.

I don't know what to say for myself, you would think that this would be an easy one. But, I have had the hardest time visualizing it, and taking my car apart, putting the 3L intake and valve cover on and then putting it back together. Then, all the other stuff I have to do. I was asked to be the Venturing Scout leader for a Boy Scout troup in the area. The boys wanted to build a gokart, so I have been spending a ton of time designing working on that. I had to do a ton of work on my wife's Toyota Pickup (and put a Supra LSD in the rearend). Now, I have to start working on the Aerostar. It needs a new engine, so I found a wreck 99 explorer with the overhead cam engine to replace the push rod engine. The brakes are also too weak to pull the tent trailer very well, so I am going to attempt to put the Explorer running gear under the Van.

My wife wants me to get that done this month, so that is taking presidence.

If someone wants to take over my bracket design, I would probably be willing to give it to them. Otherwise, I will try to fit some time in to work on it.

We should be happy that you have even attempted it. It will get done when it gets done. We should be more thankful for what you have done already.

Yea personally... the snow is flying and its flippin cold... so yea I'm just hoping these are ready when I go to install my engine. That is all...

Revised bracket design is again underway.

Revised bracket design is again underway.

So, reviving this old thread instead of starting a new one. I had a technology break through to help me with the full 3L coil pack bracket. I have a new design all figured out and off for the first plastic prototype (should be here by the 18th). Once I get that I will do a fitment check and make adjustments if needed. If anything it should just be left to right movement of the coil itself. Then, I will order a steel prototype.

Sorry for the year long delay. Hope someone is still interested.

Here are some pics of the design:

coilpackbracket1..jpg

coilpackbracket3..jpg

coilpackbracket2..jpg

Son of a biscuit i just bought your '02-03 to mod to make fit :( Oh well, I'll just keep it as spare.

Looks like you got a 3-D scanner! Thats badassery.

I didn't get one but we did at work and I snuck the valve cover and coil pack in. I wish I could afford one. Tell you what Beans, since you bought the other one, I will send you the first prototype that works.

That looks really nice! Unfortunately, it won't work with the ST220 UIM's. The back side of the UIM covers the valve cover... and is about 1" closer to the firewall than the valve cover is.

20111108_003-2..jpg

That looks really nice! Unfortunately, it won't work with the ST220 UIM's. The back side of the UIM covers the valve cover... and is about 1" closer to the firewall than the valve cover is.

Well, you could buy a bunch more of the ST220 riser plates I made and then it would fit. :) You might have to do something with the hood, but there would be room for the coil under the intake.

Well, you could buy a bunch more of the ST220 riser plates I made and then it would fit. :) You might have to do something with the hood, but there would be room for the coil under the intake.

hehehe very true, but I thought you were designing a bracket to fit this location:

Here is a closer up look at the last location. This is on it's side behind the manifold.
attachment.php

View attachment 7007

Though after looking at the pic a little more, I can see that the coil pack is angled, and is probably close to your design. I was thinking it would hang off the back valve cover, with the coil pack parallel to the valve cover (tops being even). That's how I have my current coil pack, though it is not currently secured very well yet.

hehehe very true, but I thought you were designing a bracket to fit this location:

Though after looking at the pic a little more, I can see that the coil pack is angled, and is probably close to your design. I was thinking it would hang off the back valve cover, with the coil pack parallel to the valve cover (tops being even). That's how I have my current coil pack, though it is not currently secured very well yet.

That is the orientation I was going for, but I guessed at the angle wrong, so it came out the way it did. I readjusted the bracket to fix that. Pictures are below of the new design

If you use the 01-03 Taurus valve cover you can use my other bracket and put the coil in that position.

Here are some pictures of the test bracket and coil installed. I still need to do a little adjusting, but I hope to purchase a steel bracket as the next version

coilbracket2..jpg

coilbracket4..jpg

coilbracket1..jpg

coilbracket3..jpg

I need to put a couple bends in the lower part of the bracket so that the coil can be angled more vertical without hitting the plug on the base.

The new version will look like this:

coilpackbracket4..jpg

I will see if I can request a prototype on Monday.

Last edited:
Back