• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

"Getting my svt looking great again" log

Use the cheaper black, it will be fine.

ok thanks bro, i was kinda just waiting for someone to confirm it, i figured black is black, i heard its darker but i dont see how it can get any darker... its black lol. Im painting it friday and saturday (if the weatherman is right), wish me luck

Honestly everything was looking great until the hood scoop came a long. But like others said, your car, your choice.

Other than the scoop, nice to see an SVT getting some what of a new life.

Hood looks great. Can't wait to see it all back together. Paint the Cat too while your at it, Lime green with Fuscia Tiger Stripes.

update: wow, so everything that could have went wrong with the painting went wrong... where do i start? the gun wasnt spraying right, the pattern coming out was like a 1'' diameter circle... but my dad continued to paint the bumper. so finally before he started on the hood, i convinced him to try the other gun. it worked fine. My dad wouldnt let me use his paint guns, so he painted them for me... he was doing fast, light swipes, wouldnt go slow, so it came out pretty uneven... then as we got to the bottom of the 2nd can of paint, we realized there were CHUNKS in it! (1st one was fine) which is why the paint was going on horrible and uneven and chunky.

so after he was done painting i wanted to kill myself. i now had a grey, uneven, rough looking hood... bumper wasnt as bad because he used mostly the 1st can on it, but it was still uneven from his quick, light painting. knowing the clear had to go on tomorrow, i put the hood in my wagon, i raced home (30 min drive)(i had to be at work in 2 hours), bought 3 cans of black spray paint along the way, used one of those wire sponges to try to make it less rough, sanded it the best i could (wasnt dry/cured so it was hard) then painted it with spray cans. took it back to my dads the next day and he put the clear on. again, looked horrible with his slow/light sprays. with the last quart of clear i finally convinced him to let me do it. i fixed it alittle with extremely slow, wet sprays, but the damage was done:

imgp3982.jpg

imgp3976d.jpg

i knew it would be this rough, which is why i bought 3 quarts of clearcoat (so i wouldnt go through the clear when wetsanding) the bumper wasnt quite as bad as the hood but still pretty rough, it took 10 hours over the period of 3 days to wetsand the bumper. then came time for the hood, that took about 5 days to do, 2-4 hours each day... i used 800 grit as my heaviest grit. after the 1st day, i wanted to do 600 but they didnt sell that anywhere around here and i was scared to do 400, going back, i shoulda done 400 lol. so then i would do 1000 grit, then 1500 grit, then 2000 grit, then polish. so 2 weeks and 2 bloody hands later, i am rewarded with these:

imgp4174a.jpg

imgp4179.jpg

sorry for the bad pics, my camera has been taking horrible grainy pics lately, dont know whats up with it, but they look good trust me ;)... im waiting to put them on my car, i bought a portable enclosed garage (24 hours after a wash my car is covered in poop, leaves, walnuts and bark) so im gonna wait til the garage is set up. i tweaked my back at the gym so i dont know when itll be up.

ill keep everyone updated, wont be long now! lol

heres a few quick phone pics from its first car show, sorry bad quality and i didnt really detail it or anything. hopefully ill get some better pics sometime before winter. i have a few small things to do to it yet too.

58760_1389919116258_1480500008_30868841_7693878_n.jpg

62545_1389920356289_1480500008_30868842_4605057_n.jpg

61052_1389921396315_1480500008_30868843_2103845_n.jpg

59959_1389922076332_1480500008_30868846_4711072_n.jpg

idk i really don't think a contour can pull of a hood scoop... I do not think the car has the right lines for it. I'm a big fan of the stock hood myself. I dont have a picture, but a friend of mine with a chameleon painted svt cut the square and triangle set up they had on the supra in the first F&F. Does not do anything for me but it doesnt look bad.

Lookin good! I'm undecided on the hood scoop buut.

Glad to see it's not in the backyard anymore! Next time, buy a $50 Kobalt HVLP gun from Lowes. Great starter gun, I sprayed base, mid and clear coats on my friend's bike and it turned out awesome!

i saw this car in person.the interior and engine bay r also that color.and the uim.its a split port 3L and he lives in akron i believe.he came to the bwick car show, but was kind of an a**hole imho.car sounded sexy tho.

good progress on the scoop.and dont worry man.i fell prey to the nagging of the scoop to,but its fully functional.i like it.you seem to have terrible luck tho.im guessing your in ohio though,so a cruise needs to be in order sometime!im in brunswick.
l_bf6c9dad08b1496b94e2671bdca05c73.jpg

l_8f56251c670c4136844d4d75bd9baaf8-.jpg

i saw this car in person.the interior and engine bay r also that color.and the uim.its a split port 3L and he lives in akron i believe.he came to the bwick car show, but was kind of an a**hole imho.car sounded sexy tho.

Yeah thats Brian for ya... He is the best in Cleveland when it comes to body work. Not the best mechanic in the whole world but he is very well connected and actually he lives down the street from me in Parma.

idk i really don't think a contour can pull of a hood scoop... I do not think the car has the right lines for it. I'm a big fan of the stock hood myself. I dont have a picture, but a friend of mine with a chameleon painted svt cut the square and triangle set up they had on the supra in the first F&F. Does not do anything for me but it doesnt look bad.

ya im actually still undecided on the scoop, i can get a black hood from the junkyard or paint my old one if i ever wanna go back to normal, so im really not too worried about it.

actually if you want.ill trade you hoods.my scoop is smaller.i happen to like that big one alot if your interested.i live in brunswick so im not too far away.

Back