• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

GB: Roush 21mm rear sway bars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been there, done that.

Been there, done that.

Two kinds of un-reinforced rear subframes with 21mm swaybars…
Those that have broken.
Those that will break (eventually).

Spirited driving on smooth roads probably won’t damage the stock subframe. The brackets rip loose when you hit a pothole, or catch a ridge of frozen ice on a freeway or… you get the idea.

I have two “Aussie bars.” I reinforced my first subframe by welding a metal box made of scrap metal around the bracket mount points. There was little information available back then and I definitely did not want to do it twice so I overdid it a bit – made it like a tractor part. For the second car I bought a reinforced subframe from one of the group buys Bradness held. A more conservative reinforcement - but I’m sure just as effective.

I think the BAT reinforced subframe is a bit pricey for those with fabrication skills, tools and a solid subframe to start with. If you cannot easily do the modifications or if you have a rusted or otherwise damaged subframe – buy the one from Redcoat Raceworks or BAT – they start with a new Ford part.

Hey, you might luck out and never have your bar break loose. I’d still reinforce the mounts; common sense says the additional rigidity of the reinforced mount points will enhance the effectiveness of the swaybar. Just an observation.

Last edited:
So, any pics of where the subframe should be reinforced or details on how to do it with it in the car?
I would be installing the bar on a real low-mile SVT with no winter exposure.
Also, on another note, where can I buy a rear strut bar?
-J

Those of you who made the list:
Shipping has been calculated as $20, so each person within the U.S. should send a total of $120. If outside the U.S., send me a PM with your address. Please get your payment to me no later than Dec. 8. Failure to do so will forfeit your place in line. If using Paypal, send the total and the shipping address to alumnus at VT dot EDU. If you prefer to mail your payment, send me a PM for my address. Shipments will go out ASAP the week of 12/17. Thanks.

BiminiLX, you'll have to wait another week to find out if anybody got dropped for non-payment. You might also be interested in another GB at NECO on another 21mm rear sway bar.

1.yamaha racer 686 Paid
2.my98svtturbo
3.rollinstylee Paid
4.wadespencer99
5.handyandy Paid
6.02AlaskanCougar
7.PwnSauce
8.99cougarsupreme Paid
9.DesertNeco
10.Shattastic SVT Paid
11.Black98CSVT Paid
12.cvsmightymouse
13.KyleQ Paid

Last edited:
1.yamaha racer 686 Paid
2.my98svtturbo
3.rollinstylee Paid
4.wadespencer99
5.handyandy Paid
6.02AlaskanCougar
7.PwnSauce
8.99cougarsupreme Paid
9.DesertNeco
10.Shattastic SVT Paid
11.Black98CSVT Paid
12.cvsmightymouse
13.KyleQ Paid

thought it might be easier to read

Damn, I missed it again! I've been needing a new sway bar since my old one bent in a rear-suspension catastrophe and I had to replace it with a non-SVT bar. Let me know if any openings pop up; I can pay immediately.

Damn, I missed it again! I've been needing a new sway bar since my old one bent in a rear-suspension catastrophe and I had to replace it with a non-SVT bar. Let me know if any openings pop up; I can pay immediately.

If you're serious, get in on the GB for a 21mm rear sway bar at NECO. I need to place the order this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back