• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel Leaking

RFcsvt

Veteran CEG'er
I'm using the NPG return to returnless mod and it appears to be leaking from the return fuel line where it goes into the fuel block. Whenever I turn the key it drips. I'm at a loss as to why it would be leaking. I've tried different o-rings and I've pulled it apart a few times to make sure nothing is wrong and from what I can tell it's installed correctly.

Any ideas?

I'm using the NPG return to returnless mod and it appears to be leaking from the return fuel line where it goes into the fuel block. Whenever I turn the key it drips. I'm at a loss as to why it would be leaking. I've tried different o-rings and I've pulled it apart a few times to make sure nothing is wrong and from what I can tell it's installed correctly.

Any ideas?

What about fuel resistant pipe dope/Teflon tape...

What about fuel resistant pipe dope/Teflon tape...

Wouldn't that only work on the threaded parts of the fuel block/lines? Or can I wrap part of the Contour fuel line that plugs into the fuel block for the NPG mod? It's leaking where the quick connects plug into the machined aluminium block. I'll definitely give it a shot as long as I know how to use it properly.

Wouldn't that only work on the threaded parts of the fuel block/lines? Or can I wrap part of the Contour fuel line that plugs into the fuel block for the NPG mod? It's leaking where the quick connects plug into the machined aluminium block. I'll definitely give it a shot as long as I know how to use it properly.

Pics would help to see what you have going on.

Well it runs but it leaks like mad. I'll get some pics up tonight so it makes sense.

Thanks for the help, I'm really confused.

Here's the pics of what I'm talking about.

The leak seems to be coming from the small fuel line on the right side. The AN fittings don't leak at all and where the pressure regulator is attached seems ok too.

It really pours out the fuel when it runs so there's definitely a problem. I'm wondering if the hole for the fuel line in the aluminum block was machined too large.

Attachments

• DSC_0581..JPG
    DSC_0581..JPG
    92 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0579..JPG
    DSC_0579..JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0580..JPG
    DSC_0580..JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
Ah ok that makes more sense now. Yea that's a tough one... if you've put o-rings in there and tightened that bolt down... I'm out of suggestions. That sounds like an email to Joey to see what he has to say. I think your right though, those holes may have been machined to large. One thing you could do is compare the opening to that of the original line in that car to see if there is a difference.

Ah ok that makes more sense now. Yea that's a tough one... if you've put o-rings in there and tightened that bolt down... I'm out of suggestions. That sounds like an email to Joey to see what he has to say. I think your right though, those holes may have been machined to large. One thing you could do is compare the opening to that of the original line in that car to see if there is a difference.

I'll be trying to get in touch with Joey this week. I did compare the hole in the aluminum block to where the fuel line normally connects to the contour fuel rail and you can tell the aluminum block has a slightly larger hole, but I think Joey includes a larger o-ring to compensate for this. So maybe I simply have the wrong o-rings. I really want it to work because of how easy this makes the fuel lines work. The car is ready to run and get tuned when this leak is figured out.

I guess it's not a huge rush though considering we're supposed to get pounded with snow today and tomorrow.

I think Menards has a pretty good selection of o-rings in the plumming section. Give them a try to see if you can find one that will work. Make sure the holes don't have any obvious groves/scratches that could allow fuel to get around the o-ring.

BTW I'm sure you got the same snow we did. This crap sucks.

I think Menards has a pretty good selection of o-rings in the plumming section. Give them a try to see if you can find one that will work. Make sure the holes don't have any obvious groves/scratches that could allow fuel to get around the o-ring.

BTW I'm sure you got the same snow we did. This crap sucks.

Joey is going to send me some new o-rings to try, if that doesn't work out I'll give Menards a shot. The holes look pretty good, no noticable marks or anything.

Yeah man the snow is ridiculous! I guess it buys me time though, if it was 70 and sunny I'd be a little anxious to get the car on the road.

Just make sure whatever o-ring you are using is fuel resistant... You don't want it to start leaking when your going down the road...

Just make sure whatever o-ring you are using is fuel resistant... You don't want it to start leaking when your going down the road...

I was thinking about that, I didn't want to end up using somehting that might not hold up over time.

I did get the new o-rings from Joey but I haven't had a chance to try them, hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning.

They are viton Orngs made for fuel you are ok with the lifespan of the Oring be sure to use some lube so the o-ring does not tear. If this doesnt work for you I will replace t wth no questions. joey

Just a heads up, the o-rings must have done the job because there is no more leak. The car runs just fine now, actually I was expecting worse from an untuned 3L.

Thanks to Joey for sending me the new o-rings. This mod makes the ruturn/returnless fuel lines such a piece of cake to deal with, it's totally worth it for anyone doing a full 3L swap.

Back