• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fastest contour

yeah the honda guys dont lack in traction or structural integrity.

you guys all should darn well know that the 400 WHP contours should be good for high 10's but they'll never hook and if they do they'll break everything. i'm just glad we can make good HP. if we could fit twin turbos into these things like the noble setup think of what they could do, even with the lack of traction.

I have ran at the track a total of about 10-12 runs and have yet to break an axle with my drag radials. I try not to launch too hard so as to not stress them to much with a jolt. When i hit 2nd and the 125 shot hits in though you can feel them diggin into the track... and have yet to break one. The axles are fine as long as you don't just out right abuse them or be stupid.

(or i'm just lucky for now)

I agree. I ran at the track quite a few times even with stock tires I could get some good launches that technically should have broken a few axles, but didn't. :eek:

Anyway, I guess BurritaSVT will hold the fastest contour record, followed closely by DemonSVT in terms of 1/4 mile time.
I don't know what the fastest in terms of MPH hour are, but I still have my timeslips and I have FOUR of them into the 13's trapping above 108mph, with my highest trapping at 109.2mph in the quarter. :cool:

Anyone else able to beat that in their contour?

i'd guess if you used slicks you'd have to feather the launch, but find the median where you can still pull a good 60'

you will just bog if you try to do that.

one thing to try, and it takes a while to master, is to preload

pull up to the line and stage
pull the ebrake up as hard as you can while holding the button in
rev the motor and ease up on the clutch just to the point where the car will be able to over power the rear brakes
this way you are removing the big hit that you put your driveline though on a hard launch
at the third yellow dump the ebrake, and quickly let out the clutch and roll on the gas all at the same time.

if you can master that you can get awesome launches and 60 like a rwd car without putting all that stress on the car like a 5krpm clutch drop

you will just bog if you try to do that.

one thing to try, and it takes a while to master, is to preload

pull up to the line and stage
pull the ebrake up as hard as you can while holding the button in
rev the motor and ease up on the clutch just to the point where the car will be able to over power the rear brakes
this way you are removing the big hit that you put your driveline though on a hard launch
at the third yellow dump the ebrake, and quickly let out the clutch and roll on the gas all at the same time.

if you can master that you can get awesome launches and 60 like a rwd car without putting all that stress on the car like a 5krpm clutch drop

Yes that can work, however it is still a flawed launch method:

1. The entire time you are loading the driveline against the parking brake you are heating the clutch...

2. as the clutch becomes super heated, the friction material will begin to glaze over...

3. a glazed clutch will not hold properly.

4. Additionally, as the clutch becomes hotter, the slave-cylinder/release bearing becomes hotter....

5. too much heat in the slave-cylinder will damage and prematurely destroy the o-ring seals leading to slave-cylinder failure....

6. excessive slave-cylinder heating will also lead to boiling of the hydraulic fluid that actuates the slave-cylinder causing gas buildup and a spongy clutch pedal.

So in conclusion, although preloading the driveline will allow for smoother and quicker launches, the propensity for clutch damage and the need for premature replacement outweighs the usefulness of using this launch method with any regularity.

I agree. I ran at the track quite a few times even with stock tires I could get some good launches that technically should have broken a few axles, but didn't. :eek:

Anyway, I guess BurritaSVT will hold the fastest contour record, followed closely by DemonSVT in terms of 1/4 mile time.
I don't know what the fastest in terms of MPH hour are, but I still have my timeslips and I have FOUR of them into the 13's trapping above 108mph, with my highest trapping at 109.2mph in the quarter. :cool:

Anyone else able to beat that in their contour?

I'm pretty sure I remember Keyser pulling a ~14.1 @ 112 or 114.

Mark

Anybody have a pic of where the axles break or bend? Couldn't you get a piece of DOM tubing and sleeve the axle for some bulletproof strength? I'm sure you could get the balanced at a driveline shop - if they can balance a driveshaft, I'm sure they could balance a custom CV shaft...

Just an idea - maybe somthing designed in a 2 piece manner would work. Clamp on axle around weak area and weld on - grind smooth and run it. I dunno - just shooting out ideas...

To the best of my knowledge they break at the trans connection. The splined section shears off. The only way to strengthen it is to have new ones made of a different alloy.

somebody with money should do that that would be sweet
i cant i just bought a house 850 bucks for the rest of my life
im glad i like my 200 horse contour hope it lasts forever

To the best of my knowledge they break at the trans connection. The splined section shears off. The only way to strengthen it is to have new ones made of a different alloy.

Hmm - anybody ever look at cryo treatment? Can't be that bad...

Yes that can work, however it is still a flawed launch method:

1. The entire time you are loading the driveline against the parking brake you are heating the clutch...

2. as the clutch becomes super heated, the friction material will begin to glaze over...

3. a glazed clutch will not hold properly.

4. Additionally, as the clutch becomes hotter, the slave-cylinder/release bearing becomes hotter....

5. too much heat in the slave-cylinder will damage and prematurely destroy the o-ring seals leading to slave-cylinder failure....

6. excessive slave-cylinder heating will also lead to boiling of the hydraulic fluid that actuates the slave-cylinder causing gas buildup and a spongy clutch pedal.

So in conclusion, although preloading the driveline will allow for smoother and quicker launches, the propensity for clutch damage and the need for premature replacement outweighs the usefulness of using this launch method with any regularity.

1)I am not saying hold the car there for 10min. You pull up to the line and only have a few secs after you stage before the lights start to count down. Like I said it takes a while to get it, but once you have it you can preload the car just before you launch. Its like when you first start to drive stick. 1st gear takes a while, but now its second nature and you just go.

2)Get a better clutch. Something along the lines of a South Bend Clutch. They are designed to handle higher heat and a little slipping of the clutch.

The only point I was making is that we all ***** and moan that the contour is not a fast car down the strip, rather thin locate the problems as to why, and FIX them, and being able to give the rest of the automotive community a big fat middle finger while we hit the 12, 11, and even faster times!

*OK, wishful thinking maybe...

Except no one will give a rats ass if a contour makes it into the 12's except the people on this board.

haha, shocked maybe, yes.

But he isnt going to jump up and down and have a fit like 90% of the people on this board would.:laugh:

well, at least the owner of the said contour can truly be proud of his creation, its something that hasnt been done, unlike mustangs!

I'm pretty sure I remember Keyser pulling a ~14.1 @ 112 or 114.

Mark

I don't have the slip anymore to prove it, but it was at SpeedWorld in AZ. It was 14.1 @ 112. People who witnessed were shocked I could run a time so slow with a trap so fast. I'm surprised you remembered Mark, I was kind of embarrased about it. 388fwhp and 360tq and I got SERVED by DemonSVT and his N/A 3L.

My biggest problem tracking that car was that there was so much torque off the line for that platform that the trans was pulled into neutral almost every time. All I could conclude was that the shift cable got pulled tight from the flex and pulled it out of gear.

I don't have the slip anymore to prove it, but it was at SpeedWorld in AZ. It was 14.1 @ 112. People who witnessed were shocked I could run a time so slow with a trap so fast. I'm surprised you remembered Mark, I was kind of embarrased about it. 388fwhp and 360tq and I got SERVED by DemonSVT and his N/A 3L.

My biggest problem tracking that car was that there was so much torque off the line for that platform that the trans was pulled into neutral almost every time. All I could conclude was that the shift cable got pulled tight from the flex and pulled it out of gear.

YES! That is exactly what happened when the drivetrain would rock. That much power would flex all the mounts. Did you have a solid mount at all or stock mounts?

Maybe thats why I keep pulling my shift cables apart :idea: ;)

I had a solid bracket going from the bolt of the rear mount and welded to the subframe. It eliminated wheel hop, but didn't stop the flexing.

Back