• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fastest Contour/Cougar

His was also with a 2.5.... My 3L with bolt-ons is already as quick as his car with a 50 shot & custom tune... and my tour has a couple more bolt-ons to go! Stickies, Spray, & a more aggressive tune will hit 12's... I know he could have hit 13.1 with his Cougar... I believe he hit 13.208 or something close... with plain svt uim & lim... EH'd uim & bored out lim will be better flow for the Nitrous!

As long as the Tour stays in shape & I get the extra cash, He will get my Tour in the 12's within the next 6 months I would say...

Hell Aaron, Give me your Nitrous kit while your building your 3L, (Since your Cougar is off the road until then) I'll order stickies within the next 2 paychecks, & we'll take her to the track!! See what we get out of her...

What shot was aaron running when he hit 13.2?

Still, nice times...for back in '06, he needs to get his car back on the road already lol.

make sure you record it so people can actually watch the run and see it for themselves. otherwise people will be skeptical that the time slip is actually from a different car.

I'm not stupid... But thanks man! I definitely will do!! I just hope when we go everything @ the track is working... time boards, slips, etc.. Have been in the past where at least one or the other was messing up.. but Definitely going to make sure everything is in order for my runs...

What shot was aaron running when he hit 13.2?

Still, nice times...for back in '06, he needs to get his car back on the road already lol.

125.... I believe his 100 shot times were 13.4

I still have to swap out y-pipes & get a larger intake pipe as well... Another clutch to hold any shot larger than a 50 so It may take a little while.. That's why I said 6 months or so... but hopefully even as early as Jan if I can get the funds... Need to work on selling all my Cougar parts

Roush side skirts (Never painted), Roush Rear (Rio Red), KYB struts with around 10k on them, B&G springs, TWO svt uim's, lim, interior pieces, airbags & covers, etc

That would definitely help this move along having that money... Just need time to get it all together

LOL, I just wanted to see what people's comments would be.. Won't be deterred by them... It will happen... and I have a spare car to drive... So everyone that CAN break into the 12's & say they're scarred to break things... Pony up! I will :laugh:

Just give it a little more time guys :cool:

I wouldn't say everyone is scared of breaking stuff. Plenty of people have broken stuff trying to get those extra few 10ths off.

Make sure you save some money for a quaife or torsen too.

I'm glad that you're treating Bob's old car so nicely h-town.

By taking it to the Ding King & getting all the little dents pulled..:shrug:..?

By getting a lot of fiberglass work done to the Splitter & painting that along with the front bumper that has paint falling off... :shrug:..?

By getting another set of wheels & drag radials.. ? A better Clutch for it?
Nitrous kit? Larger tb? Aftermarket intake piping? better y-pipe?

Why thank you!! I think I'm doing a good job so far as well too! :laugh:

I think the last round of posts in here highlight nicely that its plenty easy to make enough power to run 12's with a duratec, that it is the traction and durability issues that need to be addressed to actually run that fast.

I think the last round of posts in here highlight nicely that its plenty easy to make enough power to run 12's with a duratec, that it is the traction and durability issues that need to be addressed to actually run that fast.

Ding, Ding, Ding... Lol.. Great summary for those who may be joining in on the discussion

Ding, Ding, Ding... Lol.. Great summary for those who may be joining in on the discussion

ok thats it! what are u talking about??? u're the first one that should heed that advice. all u've said so far is adding more power, so this other guy can hit 12s:rolleyes:. more duratec power does not equal better ET times! we've been through this a million times literally. if u've got no plans to modify a contour's suspension or drivetrain, please shut up. cuz until u hit 12s, i've got my doubts. solidly based i might add. i'm willing to bet even the stig will not be able to do this till he's had a LOT of practice. which, by then, he wouldve had to change out axles a few times, possibly ending in frustration. (end of rant)

Wait. Werent you the one who was insisting you are gonna throw nitrous at your quarter mile and the only reason we arent in the 12s is because everyone is afraid of breaking their car or driving it wrong?

ok thats it! what are u talking about??? u're the first one that should heed that advice. all u've said so far is adding more power, so this other guy can hit 12s:rolleyes:.

the "other guy" is his older brother...fyi

ok thats it! what are u talking about??? u're the first one that should heed that advice. all u've said so far is adding more power, so this other guy can hit 12s:rolleyes:. more duratec power does not equal better ET times! we've been through this a million times literally. if u've got no plans to modify a contour's suspension or drivetrain, please shut up. cuz until u hit 12s, i've got my doubts. solidly based i might add. i'm willing to bet even the stig will not be able to do this till he's had a LOT of practice. which, by then, he wouldve had to change out axles a few times, possibly ending in frustration. (end of rant)

Wait. Werent you the one who was insisting you are gonna throw nitrous at your quarter mile and the only reason we arent in the 12s is because everyone is afraid of breaking their car or driving it wrong?

LOL, Both of you guys are funny... I never said nitrous is the ONLY reason I would hit 12's! I'm not stupid... Nor just people breaking their cars... Nitrous will help achieve the time... but not the only reason..

BTW, My car does have full Koni suspension, Re-enforced rear subframe, rear sway bar, RSTB, I also said I needed a better clutch, and Drag Radials..
I have an LSD already installed along with the upgraded shift forks & tower.. Short shifter...

I also know how these cars go threw axles! I have seen my brother replace MANY... Fortunately I have never broken one on the THREE cougars I've owned... I have broken a couple on my 99 Si I had with an H-22A prelude engine & tranny swap with an increased rev limiter

I also NEVER said I will break into the 12's the first time.. I said "give it time"... It has been 11 years, as we type... HAHA

Everyone has their doubts!! It's being human.. We all know there have been & still are Contours/Cougars with enough power to easily make the time.. Many lack any of the other components needed, suspension, LSD, Clutch, TIRES, or just the Pure driving/track experience... Or like I said before, It's their DD and afraid to break things, or have broken things in the past & tired of working on them, and/ or many other factors

I also know my track experience is NOT where it needs to be for that run yet... That's why I said my brother would be the one to do it in my car sooner... he is 99cougar on here I believe... and on NECO "ilovemycar"

Like J has said... My brother DEFINITELY knows what he is doing/ HAS DONE/ and has plenty of knowledge about these cars...

I'm not a NOOB but I also do not know a TON about the cars...Never said I did... I'm not saying that power alone would get the time!! I KNOW THAT!! Never said that as well... TOO much power would be overkill... but you need more than what the 2.5 or 3L puts out to achieve the goal NO-ONE has accomplished... That's what this thread is for... to inform other & to HELP them! Not bash on them, their thoughts, or ideas.. But to inform them of what has/will/may work...

Like I said before though, the negative comments don't/will not deter my thoughts & plans! :) Just need the extra money.. Will come.. Just not sure how soon!

**I could write more on many other things or topics discussed but don't want to waste too much time on this.. If there are more serious comments or questions I may discuss.. Lol

Last edited:
That's what this thread is for... to inform other & to HELP them! Not bash on them, their thoughts, or ideas.. But to inform them of what has/will/may work..... If there are more serious comments or questions I may discuss.. Lol
Ok how about this for the 'blue sky thinking' approach.

One problem is the transfer of wieght towards the rear on launch. Would putting much stiffer springs on the rear decrease this effect enough to make a useful difference ? ..G.

yeah i used to spray a 125 shot on my 2.5L that i blew up.

you won't hit 12's.

think so? stop talking, start posting up time slips. point proven.

I will not be on here typing post after post about how i'm gonna hit 12's. This will be my only post in this thread until I have a time slip with some numbers on it, and a video to match. I've seen a lot of people come on here and talk crap about how they have a fast car. I'm tired of people saying this platform can't get 12's without some crazy amount of mods.

Brent... bring me your tour and I will mix and match parts between my cougar and your contour. When I get done I am taking it to the track to see if we can get some runs in. My only issue is you don't have the PRP so we may only be able to take the nitrous so far.

I'll be back... it may be a while but we'll see wha happens.

I will not be on here typing post after post about how i'm gonna hit 12's. This will be my only post in this thread until I have a time slip with some numbers on it, and a video to match. I've seen a lot of people come on here and talk crap about how they have a fast car. I'm tired of people saying this platform can't get 12's without some crazy amount of mods.

Brent... bring me your tour and I will mix and match parts between my cougar and your contour. When I get done I am taking it to the track to see if we can get some runs in. My only issue is you don't have the PRP so we may only be able to take the nitrous so far.

I'll be back... it may be a while but we'll see wha happens.

Let's order it then bro, Since we can swap out brakes/rotors to to fit your 15's on & I don't HAVE to purchase radials for the 17's to do this now. I'll use that money to order the PRP so we can better tune for the nitrous. I'll leave the tour with you & drive the Corolla until it's swapped over

Ok how about this for the 'blue sky thinking' approach.

One problem is the transfer of wieght towards the rear on launch. Would putting much stiffer springs on the rear decrease this effect enough to make a useful difference ? ..G.

I think they would have to be REALLY, REALLY, stiff but that could possibly have a slight difference for the better... Something to be looked at & tested on the track ;-)

my apologies if i came off rude. its just that we've gotten so many of these "i can hit 12s" with this n that, its ridiculous. we all want u or ur brother to do it. and am sure i speak for everyone in saying that. but until u've done some serious modifications to ur suspension, its hard to take u seriously. i'll be rootin for ya tho:).

I'm positive his Cougar will do it once his 3L is done... He hit 13.2 with the 2.5 and 145,000 miles on it. LOL, We'll see how the Tour holds up.. Maybe I should have never posted until the time comes Closer.. Oh well.. All is well

my apologies if i came off rude. its just that we've gotten so many of these "i can hit 12s" with this n that, its ridiculous. we all want u or ur brother to do it. and am sure i speak for everyone in saying that. but until u've done some serious modifications to ur suspension, its hard to take u seriously. i'll be rootin for ya tho:).

I'm positive his Cougar will do it once his 3L is done... He hit 13.2 with the 2.5 and 145,000 miles on it. LOL, We'll see how the Tour holds up.. Maybe I should have never posted until the time comes Closer.. Oh well.. All is well

I would like to see this slip posted. Plzthx.

Back