• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ebay Springs

kw8z3boi

Veteran CEG'er
What do you guy think of Coilover on Ebay? I just need to know if they're worth getting it. :laugh: I know is cheap and it might be bad springs or something else but just curious have anyone ever got it from ebay before?

Well i have seen people running Intrax Springs with no problem(if thats what your talking about)....

But truthfully there is no such thing as ebay springs, BE MORE SPECIFIC which ones?

- Amyn

I wouldnt trust my CSVT sitting on cheap stuff! at least thats my opinion! I dont think anyone is running those coilovers. I would save a lot more and get something worth putting into your car.

Unless your driving a beater thats not worth much....

- Amyn

any other opinions? i would assume it must be at least decent...

can you amagine the law suits if one of those blew out at like 80 mph and caused a car to roll and a person.... its probably hard to cheap out suspension stuff.

and my buddy has the bomz kit on his 4 door civic, and he says its fine, my only complaint is that the ride was extremely bumpy!

my struts are going in the back so i might pick this kit up.... i like the adjustability for the winter too!

I know its cheap and it sounds good.... But I would rather save for something that is at the least reputable.

And my friend tried a couple bomz things on his civic... The car looks good but during all the installations... there was always something odd about the product in the fitment....

- Amyn

i have been running on a set of coilovers from ebay (not Bomz but from ebay and a similar design) for over 2 years now and have not had a single problem or complaint with them.

they had a name but it was 2 years ago and i don't remember what it was but i know it wasn't Bomz

Ride height adjustability is the only advantage. Stock springs, and most aftermarket replacement full size springs, are progressively wound, creating a stiffer spring the tighter it is compressed. Coil overs are not progressively wound.

Ride height adjustability is the only advantage.
and its a big advantage. with an adjustable ride height you can dial in the perfect drop. lowering a car gives you the obvious (but not a huge benefit) of lowering the center of gravity (CG). however if you also lower whats commonly refered to as the roll center (RC). the distance between the two is the roll couple. the greater the distance the more body roll the car will have. the problem is that the RC lowers more than the CG. so if you lower the car too far you can actually end up with more body roll even though you may not feel it due to the stiffer springs. if you "slam" the car, as many people do, the RC will end up at ground level or lower while the CG stays about where the crankshaft is at (not a perfect estimate but its a pretty good one). what needs to be done is to adjust the control arms so that they are pointed more upwards, the balljoint is lower than the mounting points on the subframe. this will bring the RC back up closer to the CG. the problem we, as contour owners, have is that nobody makes an adjustable lower control arm to do that. so what you get with the coilovers is a stiffer spring and the ability to lower the car without going to far or to little. you can go just enough that the roll couple is still managable with the spring rates and swaybars.

Stock springs, and most aftermarket replacement full size springs, are progressively wound, creating a stiffer spring the tighter it is compressed. Coil overs are not progressively wound.
False. not all stock and aftermarket replacement springs are progressive and not all coilovers are non-progressive.

I have never seen progressive coil overs. I have seen attempts to make them so with two stage springs, one soft and one firm. I don't think it worked very well.

As for stock springs being progressively wound, I guess you and I have not been looking under the same cars. Perhaps I should have said most or even many.

Being able to adjust the ride height can be a big advantage, especially in competition. They have other limitations though. It is best to understand what you are getting into.

MattyK took the coil overs off his SVT and installed Bat Struts with aftermarket lowering springs. He is MUCH happier with the ride quality and overall handling.

I have never seen progressive coil overs. I have seen attempts to make them so with two stage springs, one soft and one firm. I don't think it worked very well.
i have seen single spring progressive coilovers. there arent many and the ones out there arent cheap.

As for stock springs being progressively wound, I guess you and I have not been looking under the same cars. Perhaps I should have said most or even many.
perhaps. i knew what you meant just didnt want people to think that ALL stock springs are progressive.

Being able to adjust the ride height can be a big advantage, especially in competition. They have other limitations though. It is best to understand what you are getting into.
deffinatly. if you dont know anything about suspensions then just stick with the kits.

MattyK took the coil overs off his SVT and installed Bat Struts with aftermarket lowering springs. He is MUCH happier with the ride quality and overall handling.
both are opinions since i dont imagine he put it on a skid pad before and after to measure the number of G's with each setup. ride quality is dependent on what you want/like. the ride of my car with the coilovers is not excessively harsh but it is deffinately harsher than stock or the BAT kit. however its what i wanted and now whenever i get into a car with a softer suspension i cant stand driving it no matter how well it handles. but thats just me.

to the OP, what you need to consider is how is the car going to be used, how harsh are you willing to go, and what do you really know about suspensions and how they work. since you said you dont really know much about car suspension i would stick with a kit (BAT, Koni, etc). these kits include a slightly stiffer spring for improved handling and provide a slight drop without sacrificing too much comfort. the koni kit has the advantage of adjustable struts so if you want a slightly stiffer ride for say a track day you can do so. however be aware that the handling of the car does change when doing that. if you know other CEGers in your area with different setups see if you can take a short test drive in a few to get a feel for each one. then make your decision.

Wow I feel like an idiot. I barely understand half of everything. Well I've been driving my car as it was a low car because I have rubbing and low muffler issue. I'm planning to change back to stock wheels and get another smaller muffler if I will lower it. Well I only use my car to go to school and work. That's all, I'm just 17 going to college soon and this is probably my last mod till winter and spring break. Well your suggestion is I shouldn't go with the BOMZ springs on ebay and go for the BAT, Knoi, and ect. kits? BTW, I usually drive 3 people in the back atlease once per week plus I have a sound system in the trumk so should i make the back higher than the front?

Back