• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dual Exhaust Problems

svttouruofl

CEG'er
I just had dual exhaust put on my car and I'm not very happy with it. I am running headers and I had previously had just a gutted cat and a Magnaflow XL3 muffler in place of the resonator then just pipe all the way to the tips. It sounded very deep and clean, hardly any rasp at all. Well I got the itch for duals and had them created using 2" pipe. I am running thrush glasspacks and magnaflows out back. My car went from a nice deep tone to a higher, quieter tone with a ton of rasp. Any suggestions on how or what to do to fix this? I figure I can either replace the glasspacks with true resonators or try different mufflers out back. What's your opinion?

You need a x or h pipe,or some real mufflers. i had true duals too. my setup was headers,highflo cat,maggy resonator,bosal cannister muffler,and even w/teh silencer there was still a little rasp.

replace the glasspacks with true resonators

DING DING DING.

IF you do have striaght through mufflers, What model number?

Also take some pictures of your exhaust...in sections please. Placing parts in certain locations help reduce rasp.

Alright everyone is saying resonators, but does anyone have any suggestions? They need to be the round canister type and close to the size of a glasspack also. And as for the pictures I'll have some up tomorrow hopefully. And thanks for the help everyone.

Alright everyone is saying resonators, but does anyone have any suggestions? They need to be the round canister type and close to the size of a glasspack also. And as for the pictures I'll have some up tomorrow hopefully. And thanks for the help everyone.

When i get to see the setup is when i will recommend exhaust components. Having built my own and using 6 total muffler/ resonators. I can def recommend something for you :)

Alright here's some pics

100_1807.jpg

100_1815.jpg

100_1808.jpg

i would lose the glasspacks

I guess you mean replace them with real resonators because the guy at the shop was worried that with them it would dampen performance so he did it with just the magnaflows in the rear only and it sounded absolutely horrible. Even at idle it was crackling and popping and it just got worse with more rpms.

And I have had a few people tell me the Jones Exhuast is about the best to lose the resonance. I've been looking at their welded resonators but they look a lot like glasspacks. I thought about replacing the glasspacks with those first and if that doesn't work out change out the magnaflows for thier full boar mufflers out back also.

exactly... most glasspacks make your exhaust sound like a ricer's wet dream and what normal people don't want it to sound like my friend put a glasspack on his cavilier and i wanted to punch him in the nuts because he also had rims a bodykit and lambo doors :nonono: my sister also had one on her probe and it sounded terrible

do you have any pictures posted of your plymouth? sounds sweet

glasspacks sound fine on a stock svt catback,but in this case,not so much. btw,your balance pipe needs to be up in the stock location.

Please don't be offended but it was a great idea but with a bad outcome.

First the balance pipe is in the wrong place. Like pgt stated.
You need to move the balance pipe to where the old y-pipe use to be. Because the car was tuned for the exhaust pulses to meet at that specific location. I see you moved one resonator behind another to help balance exhaust pulses or because they couldn't fit next to one another. But if he did install them because of exhaust pulses then that is what the balance pipe would of done if it was up front.

Seeing your exhaust is already done. You can just stick with what you have.

Replace the glass packs!!! With magnaflows and call it a day. If he thinks what he did will reduce power or could, he should call Roush Racing ask them why they put 4 oval mufflers on a true dual exhaust for the CSVT bondurant race cars:shrug: Those cars are not even street legal and were made for track purposes.

Second the maganflows you have are not path-ed or baffled so you will def have a loud sounding exhaust. Ignore that mans claims that you would lose power if you added real resonators. :crazy:

I have true duals with high flow metallic cats with resonators and twin path mufflers on my car. I'm def not losing any power in my book :)

he should call Roush Racing ask them why they put 4 oval mufflers on a true dual exhaust for the CSVT bondurant race cars:shrug: Those cars are not even street legal and were made for track purposes.

I guess they got away with it because ground clearance would never be an issue?

Ok so I just need to move the balance pipe and change out the glasspacks for resonators and it should help it alot? Also what should I use for a resonator? I know harry said magnaflows but when I look I don't see actually any resonators. So what type are you talking about?

I think the glass packs are fine. I would change the mufflers out to a turbo style muffler. That'll give a low deep tone and still flow good. I would recommend the Dynomax super turbo as it will flow plenty for the V6. Also move the crossover pipe up to the stock y-pipe location and make it an X pipe. The X alone will make it quieter.

I think the glass packs are fine. I'm sorry they really are not suitable for a true dual exhaust application. Maybe for a stock exhaust you can put it in the place of a resonator. That is about it.

I would change the mufflers out to a turbo style muffler. That'll give a low deep tone and still flow good. I would recommend the Dynomax super turbo as it will flow plenty for the V6..
Seeing he went with glass packs in fear of losing power. I don't he wants to go with turbo mufflers. Even if he did, he could install the stock svt mufflers. I have a straight through design and am very happy with them. You can always listen to my exhaust clip before i put on cats on. :shrug:

Also move the crossover pipe up to the stock y-pipe location and make it an X pipe. The X alone will make it quieter.
Well this is argumentative, yet i find the x-pipe to be better than the h-pipe in DOHC applications. But the h-pipe has always held it's own, ever since it was used from the 40's.
The very first people who installed true duals on CSVT's have always used h-pipes. Only because we have limited room for our exhaust to be placed.
If this exhaust guy is good at his work, he can always fab you a x-pipe to fit in the tunnel.

The closer the resonators are up to the front the less rasp will be created. Just letting you know after dozens of tests with muffler/resonator placement. If you really want you can order a muffler that has a cross flow inside it and That Can be used as a x-pipe/resonator/muffler.:shrug:

It just matters how much money you have.

Here is the resonators i recommend. Also the longer the better if you want less rasp and drone.
$63.62 ---18inch-- http://www.justmagnaflow.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=CARS10424
$68.63--- 22inch--- http://www.justmagnaflow.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=CARS10434

For 5 dollars more you get 4 inchs more in length, go with the 22 IMHO plus this site offers free shipping on anything over $50

Back