• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Difference in b&m short shifter for svt and focus?

tasso

CEG'er
Is there any difference in a b&m shifter for a focus and one for a svt tour OR between one for a regular contour and a svt contour?

I believe the short throw shifters are the same for the focus and the SVT contour. I don't think it is the same between the FSVT and CSVT however. If I remember correctly the focus and CSVT are the same part number, with the reverse lock-out.

-Jon

not to hijack.... but where is the cheapest place to get a b& m as no one seems to make the riser plate for the steeda!!!!!!!
can you wait for them to be made?
If there not made i can machine you one but i can tell you right now it will cost more then $10.

I have a prototype made, out of 5/16th aluminum - the supplier did not have 3/8th on hand. It appears to fit with my stock shifter, but I would like to have someone try it on a car with a Steeda shifter. Any takers nobody here in Seattle seems to have one?

I should have a final price tomorrow. If there price is good and I can get someone to give me feedback on this one, I could have them ready in a week or two.

Steeda_Plate2.jpg

If I am able to get these made - would you guys want me to supply the bolts that need to be 10mm longer then stock or would you like to find them yourselves?

i would like the bolts to come with it. make it a little bit easier. please keep me updated as i want a short shifter soon. and would prefer the steeda over the b&m. well now i found out about a ford racing shifter .. do u still need a riser plate for this one?

If I am able to get these made - would you guys want me to supply the bolts that need to be 10mm longer then stock or would you like to find them yourselves?

Last edited:
Interesting fact -

Did you know the pivot point on the B&M is EXACTLY the same distance from the linkage as it is on the stock shifter? That's why I'm rocking the sawed-off stock shifter: B&M performance FOR FREE.

But I would love to go with a Steeda, as they are CLEARLY superior to the B&M unit, since the fulcrum is higher. So I'm also curious about the price and availability of these riser plates.

I am working on it. I am having a hard time finding someone that wants to do 3/8 aluminum on a laser - too much power. I might have to switch to water jet cutting - a little more expensive but still less then machining. I should know more this afternoon.

sweet ive been looking for a steeda riser for a while now. ill buy one with the bolts if you get them made. pm me if u find out more. thanx man

It looks like this is the least expensive place so far. I donot know if you will have to go through CSVT#49 to get the $71.50 price or if any dealership will do it. On the Ford Racing page it is listed at $115.95.

I just heard back from Steve at Tousley Ford. I can get the Ford Shifter in the link below for $71.50 plus shipping! Thats huge! He also believes it's the same shifter as the Steeda one. As he is running the Ford Racing Performance Parts short throw in his SVT Focus.

Before I buy the shifter though I want to know for sure that this riser plate is being made.

I always wanted to install a true short shifter. I'd be down for one of these plates.

So I believe this is the Steeda shifter I need then right?

Also when searching for the lowest price I found a Ford Racing shifter... is it the same as the Steeda shifter??

Wow $71.50 is a great price. Has anyone determined if that shifter (from Ford) is the same as the Steeda shifter?
I was just reading the install instructions for the ford racing shifter and noticed this. Maybe steeda actually makes the ford racing one. Either way they are made for the same car so should work the same in the tour.

"Mount the exclusive Steeda Shift Assist Spring between the shifter base and
the top cover that holds down the shifter (view 7)."

Interesting fact -

Did you know the pivot point on the B&M is EXACTLY the same distance from the linkage as it is on the stock shifter? That's why I'm rocking the sawed-off stock shifter: B&M performance FOR FREE.

But I would love to go with a Steeda, as they are CLEARLY superior to the B&M unit, since the fulcrum is higher. So I'm also curious about the price and availability of these riser plates.

this is a well know fact ...

My point was just that the ford short shifter uses a "steeda" shift assist spring. I know that it is not used on our car, but since it mentions steeda, you would have to think that the rest of the shifter is steeda too, no?

Back