• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Detailed Pictures of RaceBits Headers ... and some observations.

Sometimes I wonder if people ever read what I type. :shrug: Oh, well. I think I'll just retire back to my cardboard box.

That does look like rust....pretty nasty imo!

Yeah i know, i wonder if RB knows about this "problem" According to people here, T304 shouldn't rust?

looks discolored to me. there is runs on the manifold studs and around the O2 sensor bung.

It looks more like rust in person, i think know discoloring and this is nothing like it.

OMG! I am starting to believe more and more that I wasted 400 bucks... :nonono:

I don't think it was a waste, for me anyway. Perhaps its because i am running lean? But even then, it wouldn't get the pipes THAT hot to competently remove whatever layer of protectant from the pipes.
But i don't know much if anything at all about metals, so please don't quote me on that.

+ there maybe something that RB can do for us? If their stuff is "top notch" it sure shouldn't do this, SS should stay SS for show! (I think anyway)

It took me like 3 weeks to make up my mind and go for the RB, vs the MSDS... I ended up going the RB route, and at this point believe it to be a huge mistake.

That said, I doubt I will be installing these on my SVT... Gonna try to unload them, and buy MSDS.

It's a shame Weapon R was forced to stop production on their headers. They are stainless steel and my set hasn't shown any signs of rust forming anywhere.

It's a shame Weapon R was forced to stop production on their headers. They are stainless steel and my set hasn't shown any signs of rust forming anywhere.

Why were they shut down? And i emailed RB to see what they are going to say after seeing their product rusting. See if i can get some of my $460 back for rusting hunks of metal!

That isn't rust... well it is around the O2 bung, bolts, and flange.. but the rust on the bung was most likely because it is steel and welding as regular steel. The rest is just discoloring. My WeaponR headers look very similar. You can take a scotch brite pad to that and it will come right off and polish it to a mirror finish... but it will come right back. You could coat it with a high temp engine clear, but eventually it will do the same thing. You should have bought a stainless steel bung for that y-pipe and you should have had it welded with wire meant for stainless steel.

Why were they shut down? And i emailed RB to see what they are going to say after seeing their product rusting. See if i can get some of my $460 back for rusting hunks of metal!

MSDS went after them for supposedly stealing their design. They settled on Weapon R stopping production and selling off any remaining stock. I grabbed a set from Custom Cougars after they announced they were no longer being produced.

Like CSVT#49 said, that is not rust. Just discoloration.

And i emailed RB to see what they are going to say after seeing their product rusting. See if i can get some of my $460 back for rusting hunks of metal!

LOL, something tells me you will not get a reply. But I am a bit surprised that there has been no post from RB on this... Oh well, it is what it is...

That said, I am still wondering if these should go on the SVT or not....... :ponder:

i dont,by any means beleive ii waisted my money on this at all. my car is a summer only car so i'm not worried about salt on the headers and ypipe. i think the quality is good for what you pay. you gotta understand that the price we paid includes shiipping, which is almost half of the total cost, so you figure for 200 dollars you get a SS headers and y-pipe. compare that to MSDS for mild steel headers. ill be installing mine once the salt is off the roads. and ill let everyone know how the install goes.

Well, we'll see. Until they are installed, nobody will know the difference. The Y Pipe pictured above looks like it's rusting to me. I respect everyone's opinion, but that is what I think... I fully expect SS to change colors, to get discolored... But that is not discoloration, especially on the welds which are completely covered w/rust.

Yes, Racebits was substantially more affordable (Cheaper ? ) at the time they were first offered. But when MSDS came out with their 'customer appreciation sale', all bets were off.

What I said initially, I will repeat now: If the two sales were going on at the same time, I would most likely have went MSDS, even though it was not SS. But since the Racebits were at a lesser price, AND were SS, the decision seemed to be a no-brainer.....

I am planning on installing these in 2 weeks, 3 weeks at most, if I decide to install them. Will keep everyone posted w/their performace thereafter...

We was unaware people were feeling like this, we had an email from Alex yesterday and promptly replied. Thats the reason why we have logged in to view this.
The Stainless does discolour very quick due to the heat involved in the exhaust gases, that sometimes gives the impression of rusting. Also due to the bending process which carbon is injected to enable the mandrel process. It does give a few properties of Steel unfortunately.

We designed this item to fill a need in the UK and european market, With greatest respects to MSDS their item was greatly sort after, but the cost of buying and importing especially with the tax etc means these could cost over £1000 which works out at $1600. So considering mine work out 75% CHEAPER its obvious what will sell, and I've achieved what I set out to do. This was never meant to compete with MSDS just an alternative, and was never really planned to go into the US market. But I believe for the value for money these are right on the money. And its only since ours have come onto the forum that MSDS has offered there 'APPRECIATION SALE'. And considering the cost we have to pay to send over the Atlantic these are extremely cheap.

We have improved where possible as well, the Y-pipe is a great example and this has been proven to give gains on its own, as when I designed this I wanted to give people the option to use all the parts or buy individual parts and match them up.

Also we have been selling these for over 1 year, we have installed them as well, I know members on UK forums with them and have not had any fail all still working fine.

Also we are doing a Stainless Steel Ceramic coated version soon, in 3 bolt and 2 Bolt.

I am from Europe and I have Racebits headers installed on my custom 3.0. I've bought them because they are made from stainless steel and they are much cheaper than MSDS in Europe (shipping from the US is expensive). There is a long winter in my country with full of salt on the roads, so the stainless steel is a great advantage for me.

What can I say about them? Quality is good, welds are made properly and they are polished carefuly. Flanges are thick as was already said. They are for sure worth their price. But... my y-pipe didn't fit to the headers (everything came from Racebits in the one package). The problem was in the header, but it was much easy to modify y-pipe, so it was done. I wish it was a bad luck, I didn't try to complain it because I don't have time for it.

After seeing all of this, I am happy I bought my Weapon-R Stainless headers! They are brand new and still not installed.... Probably the ONLY new set around :p

- amyn

That isn't rust... well it is around the O2 bung, bolts, and flange.. but the rust on the bung was most likely because it is steel and welding as regular steel. The rest is just discoloring. My WeaponR headers look very similar. You can take a scotch brite pad to that and it will come right off and polish it to a mirror finish... but it will come right back. You could coat it with a high temp engine clear, but eventually it will do the same thing. You should have bought a stainless steel bung for that y-pipe and you should have had it welded with wire meant for stainless steel.

What he said. My MSDS were exactly like this. They all do this if you live in a place that gets snow/rain in moderate amounts.

it is rusting around the 02 bung but the rest is just discoloration. Bro you live in Montana and installed the headers in winter and as it appears in the picture you don't take very good care of the underside of your car. The spotting on the header is most likely do to oil, salt, or other fluids on road or dripping from car. If any of you want to unload a set I would be more than happy to buy from you.

Bro you live in Montana and installed the headers in winter and as it appears in the picture you don't take very good care of the underside of your car.

Missouri, and he just bought that car so you really can't comment on how well he takes care of it.

As noted before, most of the rust/spotted looking areas are either regular steel welds and heat discoloration.

After seeing all of this, I am happy I bought my Weapon-R Stainless headers! They are brand new and still not installed.... Probably the ONLY new set around :p

- amyn

You'll see the same surface discoloration on the Weapon R headers, even if you never drive in the rain or snow. It will happen within a very short time of driving with them.

Im not worried about discoloration. My SS Turbo Piping turned the same color. Who cares anyways you dont see it. BUT, I have the peace of mind that it is NOT going to rust much. My MSDS ones rusted before I even got a chance to put them on the car....

- amyn

Back