• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cons Of Custom Exhaust?

Are we still talking about exhaust here? :)
meh, his reading comprehension isnt that good. :shrug:

Purple, Enduro was not referring to a physical "feel" but rather having a marked sentiment or opinion. since we were discussing the sound of an exhaust, whether you like it or not is how you feel about it, aka your opinion. :troutslap::laugh:

As has been said a few times in here and I will say it again. For whatever power in the low end you do lose with an exhaust its not enough that u will notice it.

Purple, Enduro was not referring to a physical "feel" but rather having a marked sentiment or opinion. since we were discussing the sound of an exhaust, whether you like it or not is how you feel about it, aka your opinion. :troutslap::laugh:

I interpreted his post as suggesting that I would have modified my exhaust primarily to set myself or my car apart from a stock Contour.

I'd say you're still bitter about what happened earlier in this thread.

I interpreted his post as suggesting that I would have modified my exhaust primarily to set myself or my car apart from a stock Contour.

I'd say you're still bitter about what happened earlier in this thread.
and now your backpedaling. If you interpreted his post as you claim, why did you use an example of physical feeling and not the correct meaning, which is blatantly obvious?

If not to set yourself or your car apart from a stock one, why else would you modify it? doing so to gain more HP certainly sets it apart from a stock one. doing an aesthetic mod sets it apart from a stock car, whether people think it looks good or not is how people feel about it.

nope, im not bitter at all. i have just accepted the fact that you have no clue what your talking about (you never seem to either) and dropped the subject. :shrug:

Exactly, isnt wasn't meant as a slight against anyones system.

I just take offense when people state that what is so obviously a opinion as a irrefutable fact. ie resonator delete

For example, I could state that 18" and 19" wheels look ridiculous on Contiques. I could easily get 100 people that agree with me . Now does that make my statement a fact ? of course not, its still just an opinion even if lots of people share it.

I just take offense when people state that what is so obviously a opinion as a irrefutable fact. ie resonator delete

I still think removing/replacing the res is one of the overrated/pointless mods out there. In no way are the tiny gains worth the greatly increased exhaust noise.

Tiny gains? are these facts? can you back them vs what other mods/costs. How much louder does the car get? Have you done decibel readings for the car? Or is this pure speculation added with horse crap...IE resonator delete?

I share my opinion...with experience....other then my assumption with about 5 mins of experience. Like if i hear a contour with a new exhaust. Opp hmm i think i made my mind up.... It's a waste don't buy it....so obviously my 5 seconds of hearing the exhaust constitutes me to share my useless information on a board rejecting an idea that is soo greatly recommended. Well hell i might watch c-span for 5 mins then call the president tomorrow:shrug:

and now your backpedaling. If you interpreted his post as you claim, why did you use an example of physical feeling and not the correct meaning, which is blatantly obvious?

If not to set yourself or your car apart from a stock one, why else would you modify it? doing so to gain more HP certainly sets it apart from a stock one. doing an aesthetic mod sets it apart from a stock car, whether people think it looks good or not is how people feel about it.

The main goal of my modifications isn't to set my car apart from other cars. My modifications are done because...I want to do them! **** what everyone else thinks.

nope, im not bitter at all. i have just accepted the fact that you have no clue what your talking about (you never seem to either) and dropped the subject. :shrug:

The best way to tell someone off isn't to make simple grammatical errors. Also, what was your purpose in telling me than I never seem to know what I'm talking about? Is it because you read my posts and find them factually inaccurate, or is it because you just don't like me and don't ever want me to be right? It's okay, I won't be mad at you.

Tiny gains? are these facts? can you back them vs what other mods/costs. How much louder does the car get? Have you done decibel readings for the car? Or is this pure speculation added with horse crap...IE resonator delete?

I share my opinion...with experience....other then my assumption with about 5 mins of experience. Like if i hear a contour with a new exhaust. Opp hmm i think i made my mind up.... It's a waste don't buy it....so obviously my 5 seconds of hearing the exhaust constitutes me to share my useless information on a board rejecting an idea that is soo greatly recommended. Well hell i might watch c-span for 5 mins then call the president tomorrow:shrug:

Protip: Don't argue with Harrry about exhaust work...he's probably had more exhaust combinations on his car than anyone else, and he knows what he's talking about.

The main goal of my modifications isn't to set my car apart from other cars. My modifications are done because...I want to do them! **** what everyone else thinks.

there must be a reason why you want to do them. there is always a reason behind wanting to do something.

as for the **** what everyone else thinks, i agree with you (thats a first i think, lol). if you like something but no one else does, so be it.

The best way to tell someone off isn't to make simple grammatical errors. Also, what was your purpose in telling me than I never seem to know what I'm talking about? Is it because you read my posts and find them factually inaccurate, or is it because you just don't like me and don't ever want me to be right? It's okay, I won't be mad at you.

Im not sure what simple grammatical errors your talking about (other than not capitalizing the first word of a sentance) but its not exactly relavent. as for my reasons, most of the stuff you post is not accurate, and admittedly i dont really like you. i havent put you on my ignore list because i do get a good laugh from some of the things you post.

Protip: Don't argue with Harrry about exhaust work...he's probably had more exhaust combinations on his car than anyone else, and he knows what he's talking about.

another thing i agree with you on, wow!! :laugh:

More than one complaint about there about the sound quality of that mod here:
www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=37703

Harry himself complained about nasty highway drone and yet he still endorses the mod. WTF with that? And PM - why would you endorse the straight pipe/no res nod when you don't even like it yourself?

As for the claimed huge gains, where's the dyno proof? Thats right there isn't any. The aftermarket exhaust kits are only claiming a 5-8 hp, so I doubt the res mod would even do 1/2 that.

No real way for me to quantify any db increase. Suffice is to say that it is much louder. As an example before I could hear music with the volume set at 15 on my stereo,now it needs to be set at 21 - 22 .

I've driven months with various different setups, more than enough time to evaluate their pro and cons. The negatives of the res mod far outweigh the positives for me.

I apologize if my opinions dont quite jive with the great lemming - group mind thing that is CEG. I realize there is a hierarchy here and that we're not allowed to disagree with anybody with a higher post count.

Last edited:
Harry himself complained about nasty highway drone and yet he still endorses the mod. WTF with that? And PM - why would you endorse the straight pipe/no res nod when you don't even like it yourself?
I do...but at that time, I was referring to when i had a bat down pipe with no cat :shrug: So with having a resonator removed and then installing another resonator (magnaflow) in its place. Is worth the 100 dollar investment. ANd i'm not talking about a 14 inch resonator either.

As for the claimed huge gains, where's the dyno proof? Thats right there isn't any. The aftermarket exhaust kits are only claiming a 5-8 hp, so I doubt the res mod would even do 1/2 that.
Your not getting it...the stock svt catback limitations are only the resonator. THe muffler has more then enough flow capacity that they don't need to be upgraded.:shrug: The only thing that is holding it back...is the resonator because the piping goes from 2.25 to 2.0 then 2.0 up to a 2.25. The slow down is a kink in the system alog with that massive truck muffler:blackeye: God have you cut one open to see the inside:crazy: I have for the shear satisfaction that i can recommend this mod purely because of looking at what crap was installed on our cars.:shrug:

No real way for me to quantify any db increase. Suffice is to say that it is much louder. As an example before I could hear music with the volume set at 15 on my stereo,now it needs to be set at 21 - 22 .
Really...huh i never knew people couldn't measure inside cabin decible levels.....i guess in all those truck competitions they just stick their ears inside the truck :laugh:. Sorry a little humor. Yes you can measure it.... let me ask you this? What type of exhaust do you have from the engine back? What size resonator?

I apologize if my opinions dont quite jive with the great lemming - group mind thing that is CEG. I realize there is a hierarchy here and that we're not allowed to disagree with anybody with a higher post count.
Why do noobs always say that line. We know blah blah blah your in the minority and you are a victim blah blah blah. Let it go. We are all victims in this world:laugh:

Thank you guys for all your help! :)

I'm sorry if I started any disputes with my inquiries :blackeye:.

I know the 3.0L has far better low range power than the 2.5L but I recently moved to a CSVT from an SE and it was a big step for me. I didn't want to jeopardize any of this new power I've encountered. A 3.0L may be in the future, but only if this engine conks out.

The advice was great and helpful. :D That is why CEG remains to be one of my favorite sites. I'm sorry, Google is pretty much locked in 1st place though :rolleyes::laugh:.

lol I'm planning on getting MSDS headers with my next paycheck, then BAT Y-pipe, to maybe a tru bendz non resonated borla SS system, then later on off to aircougar to get that plus my fuel pumo installed

Thank you guys for all your help! :)

I'm sorry if I started any disputes with my inquiries :blackeye:.

I know the 3.0L has far better low range power than the 2.5L but I recently moved to a CSVT from an SE and it was a big step for me. I didn't want to jeopardize any of this new power I've encountered. A 3.0L may be in the future, but only if this engine conks out.

The advice was great and helpful. :D That is why CEG remains to be one of my favorite sites. I'm sorry, Google is pretty much locked in 1st place though :rolleyes::laugh:.

lol I'm planning on getting MSDS headers with my next paycheck, then BAT Y-pipe, to maybe a tru bendz non resonated borla SS system, then later on off to aircougar to get that plus my fuel pumo installed

ha that's almost the exact setup I was considering! Well, minus the fuel pump lol. I was having trouble deciding between the resonated Borla vs the non resonated. How did you come to your conclusion to go non? I've also been on the look out for used MSDS headers. I keep missing them when they show up :shrug:.

If you live by aircougar why not just get him to optimize your y pipe instead ? You'll save a load of money and retain the reliable OEM catalytic converter.

If you live by aircougar why not just get him to optimize your y pipe instead ? You'll save a load of money and retain the reliable OEM catalytic converter.

and pick up some torque down low. or at least I noticed it when I put a optimized stock y-pipe on my car.

well i live in NJ, and I already mapquested it and it's like 3 hours and 3 minutes at like 170 something miles, but i'd rather just spend the money and get a whole new system

The stock SVT 2.5 has 165 lb-ft at 5625 RPM. Here's a dyno sheet of a stock SVT 2.5:
dyno2.jpg

Hey, that dyno graph looks familiar ;) I have a dyno from the last Spring Zing with headers and catback, but I haven't been able to scan it in and get it online. Also, I do believe I had a K&N on this 'stock' run, but since many dyno graphs for a K&N-only car show around 1-3 HP improvement I never really considered that much of a modification.

It breaks my heart seeing those stock dynos and comparing them to a Mini Cooper S putting down more of both. :(

Back