• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cons Of Custom Exhaust?

mixtape

CEG's Most Wanted
I want to start off by saying the exhaust on the CSVT is pretty fantastic stock :cool:. However the exhaust manifolds (the precats), resonator, and cat are very restrictive. If you're looking to free up some hp and some air flow, headers, high flow cat, and either glasspack or straight through in place of resonator can free up alot of air. I'm not sure the exact hp number but in theory it sounds like a sweet setup.

However this brings me to my question. What are the cons of a custom exhaust as far as power wise and performance wise? I've read that making your exhaust less restrictive can raise your power band and make you sluggish off the line. The thing that made me fall in love with driving a CSVT is the low end power. It really gives you that "stuck to your seat" feeling when the light changes. I wouldn't trade that for power higher up in the rpms.

I found this on another site:
it will move power up in the power band. You'll get more hp and tq in the upper rpm's which will make you faster in the 1/4 mile. But in normal driving rpm's the truck will feel a little sluggish, but some don't notice it.
So what is the ideal thing to do? How can you make your car faster but not sacrifice the low end power?

Last edited:
The thing that made me fall in love with driving a CSVT is the low end power. It really gives you that "stuck to your seat" feeling when the light changes. I wouldn't trade that for power higher up in the rpms.
Wait, wut? I would not have described my stock SVT as having "low end power" :laugh:

Shifting the power up higher would actually be beneficial to traction issues. Not that I noticed any real power shift with my aftermarket exhaust.

Wait, wut? I would not have described my stock SVT as having "low end power" :laugh:

Shifting the power up higher would actually be beneficial to traction issues. Not that I noticed any real power shift with my aftermarket exhaust.
yeah, considering most mildly modded SVTs make somewhere around 150WTQ. i wouldnt call that having low end power. More than a Zetec sure, but not really a lot of low end power.

If you want low end power really look into a 3L swap in the future, my car puts down almost 190ft lbs of tq around 3K rpm with an untuned 3L - even more tq down low when I tune.

yeah, considering most mildly modded SVTs make somewhere around 150WTQ. i wouldnt call that having low end power. More than a Zetec sure, but not really a lot of low end power.

In the context of this discussion, it's not the peak number that matters, but how much of that power is available down low.

The stock SVT 2.5 has 165 lb-ft at 5625 RPM. Here's a dyno sheet of a stock SVT 2.5:
dyno2.jpg

and here's a dyno sheet of a 2.5 with Bassani catback and KKM intake (blue line):
scantl7.jpg

The car with the intake/exhaust has about 10lb-ft of torque over stock and most of that power is available from 3000-6000, with a dip when the secondaries open. It looks like the mods actually IMPROVED low-end power.

In the context of this discussion, it's not the peak number that matters, but how much of that power is available down low.

The stock SVT 2.5 has 165 lb-ft at 5625 RPM. Here's a dyno sheet of a stock SVT 2.5:
dyno2.jpg

and here's a dyno sheet of a 2.5 with Bassani catback and KKM intake (blue line):
scantl7.jpg

The car with the intake/exhaust has about 10lb-ft of torque over stock and most of that power is available from 3000-6000, with a dip when the secondaries open. It looks like the mods actually IMPROVED low-end power.

you cant compare those 2 dynos. they are different cars on different dynos on different days.:shrug:

edit: the scale is different on the first 1 for the TQ curve, which actually proves my point even more, as its down between 140 and 145 Ft/lbs in the low end.

you cant compare those 2 dynos. they are different cars on different dynos on different days.:shrug:

Yes I can. My point wasn't to compare peak numbers. My point was to compare the shape of the curve.

edit: the scale is different on the first 1 for the TQ curve, which actually proves my point even more, as its down between 140 and 145 Ft/lbs in the low end.

It was a poor point - the OP's question wasn't whether or not the SVT has low-end torque, it was whether or not adding an aftermarket exhaust changes the power curve significantly.

Yes I can. My point wasn't to compare peak numbers. My point was to compare the shape of the curve.

It was a poor point - the OP's question wasn't whether or not the SVT has low-end torque, it was whether or not adding an aftermarket exhaust changes the power curve significantly.
i was countering the OPs point that the SVT had good low end power. and you proved my point with those graphs. I never stated whether an exhaust would increase power or not.

reading comprehension > You.

i was countering the OPs point that the SVT had good low end power. and you proved my point with those graphs. I never stated whether an exhaust would increase power or not.

reading comprehension > You.

Gah. That has nothing to do with this thread. The OP stated that he enjoys the low end power offered by the SVT, then asked if that low end power would be compromised by installing a custom exhaust. You responded with a presumptuous "LOL TEH SVT DOES'NT HAVE GOOD LOW END POWER NOOB," and I addressed the OP's actual question.

Usefulness > You.

Both of you need to stop:laugh:

It's quite simple...

remove the stock resonator and put in a maganflow you will gain more low end tq and top end power. Then install a y-pipe with a high flow cat and call it a day.:cool:

Modding the exhaust will probably give you a slight low end boost. But the fact remains the 2.5's will still have a gutless low end. More than enough dyno's out there that prove that out

I still think removing/replacing the res is one of the overrated/pointless mods out there. In no way are the tiny gains worth the greatly increased exhaust noise.

I still think removing/replacing the res is one of the overrated/pointless mods out there. In no way are the tiny gains worth the greatly increased exhaust noise.

Most people seem to consider the increased exhaust noise part of the gain.

Modding the exhaust will probably give you a slight low end boost. But the fact remains the 2.5's will still have a gutless low end. More than enough dyno's out there that prove that out

on a SVT the piping is 2.25 and the resonator is 2" So I disagree.

on a SVT the piping is 2.25 and the resonator is 2" So I disagree.

I'll also support this statement and recommend you keep your opinions with baseless facts to yourself:shrug:

It's been proven over and over again....does it increase sound, yes. But does the overall performance of 2-4whp through out the RPM RANGE mean just noise? NOPE. So please take your time and spend it reading up on this more:cool:

I guess one mans music is another mans noise- tastes being subjective and all. Call it whatever you want, I don't care . Making your car much louder for a measly couple hp (at most) isn't a good trade off in my books. If you feel different good for you, thats your opinion - nothing more.

Thats straight piped?

Completely stock exhaust except for resonator delete.

I guess one mans music is another mans noise- tastes being subjective and all. Call it whatever you want, I don't care . Making your car much louder for a measly couple hp (at most) isn't a good trade off in my books. If you feel different good for you, thats your opinion - nothing more.

Whether or not I feel "different" isn't an opinion, it's a fact. If I feel pain, it's not my opinion that I feel pain, it's a fact that I feel pain.

And even so, I didn't do it to feel "different" - in fact, I didn't do it at all. It was like that when I bought it.

If you feel different good for you, thats your opinion - nothing more.
Whether or not I feel "different" isn't an opinion, it's a fact. If I feel pain, it's not my opinion that I feel pain, it's a fact that I feel pain.

And even so, I didn't do it to feel "different" - in fact, I didn't do it at all.

Are we still talking about exhaust here? :)

Back