• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch Driven Supercharger

I think you could just add a switch on your throttle much like you would use for nitrous, to engage the electromagnetic clutch on the supercharger at certain throttle positions, such as putting a switch at 80% throttle.

Another idea would be to run a twincharger setup on your vehicle, if you could find the room. IE mount the supercharger and do a turbocharger setup as well. Then you could use a standard RPM switch to disengage the supercharger as you reach higher RPMs and your turbocharger would have been spooled up. That would give you the many ponies that your supercharger gets, but save your gas milage by transitioning to the turbocharger and disengaging the supercharger. Less parasitic drag.

Doesn't the last fox-based Mustang blown Cobra have a clutch? I know it has a bypass set up to bring in air when the compressor isn't engaged.

no, it spins all the time no matter what. However, you are correct in that it has a bypass valve. The bypass valve is controlled by a vacuum canister that opens it during part throttle cruise to reduce intake restriction and allow the supercharger to free-wheel; resulting in significant drag reduction.

Another idea would be to run a twincharger setup on your vehicle, if you could find the room. IE mount the supercharger and do a turbocharger setup as well. Then you could use a standard RPM switch to disengage the supercharger as you reach higher RPMs and your turbocharger would have been spooled up. That would give you the many ponies that your supercharger gets, but save your gas milage by transitioning to the turbocharger and disengaging the supercharger. Less parasitic drag.

While this would be a cool setup (and useless and any car imho) turbo lag is pretty much non existent on this car with the turbos everyone chooses to goes with. Even the T3/T4s that people are making 400 whp with really dont lag. My T3/T4 on my 3.0L was making boost by about 1,500 RPMs. If you were throwing a monstrous turbo on this car, then it might actually help, but even then its not neccessary. Lets not forget, this is a FWD application.

If you have a turbo-fed supercharger, you should never disengage the supercharger. Why would you want to unplug the fun?:shrug:

So you get good mileage when not romping on the throttle.

It just seems that you wouldn't care about gas mileage if you're throwing two different types of forced induction at an engine.:shrug:

I don't think you would ever recoupe your costs for the amount of time that the supercharger wasn't compressing.

If I already had a supercharger with a clutch, I would use it. But if I was going to make my own dual induction setup, I would probably build one strictly for performance without consideration for mpg.

how about a setup like this,this is from a member on probetalk.
its a novi blower in place of the a/c its in the same location as ours..why not run a setup like this? there seems to be a certain amount of creativity lacking around these contique/cougar boards. maybe b/c of the age of the cars compared to other older platforms:shrug:
January012.jpg

There isn't room for a setup like that. The Oil filter is in the way and there just isn't enough room in that area. It would have to hang below the subframe. Also why is there a lack of creativity? I build a custom setup and it works just fine. :) Others have built custom turbos with good results.

http://www.3lduratec.com/supercharger.html

It's not dirt cheap but it's cheaper than the previous vortech kit and doesn't have a jackshaft that will tear itself apart.

i've seen chris's (blackcoog) setup many times. gotten a couple rides in it. its VERY nice. totally reliable. everything is professionally done, and i do believe it comes as a complete bolt on kit. you would need a fuel pump and a tune is all, i believe. if i had the money, it would be a huge toss up between that supercharger and the turbo.

but back on topic....

i have my AC removed. you could build a bracket to mount on the old points for the AC bracket, and get a supercharger in there. but you would have a mess of 90 degree bends to get an intercooler in there. plus you would be limited in the size of the blower to be fit in that area. also, you have the front header right there..... causing more heat issues... making the intercooler more important, and there again, your limited by space. the blackcoog setup is the most sensable location for anything..... hell i'd even put a turbo there if your going with a FMIC>

well i wasnt limiting it to superchargers..i was just making a statement there's a overall lack of creativity here. people seem totally happy w/paying 3k dollars for a NPG setup...i'd just like to see people try diff. things,shafted sc's,ac mounted turbo or /sc's,custom intake manifold w/a m60 bolted to it,like the TKT kit for the mazda kl...guess i'm just moody:laugh:

well i wasnt limiting it to superchargers..i was just making a statement there's a overall lack of creativity here. people seem totally happy w/paying 3k dollars for a NPG setup...i'd just like to see people try diff. things,shafted sc's,ac mounted turbo or /sc's,custom intake manifold w/a m60 bolted to it,like the TKT kit for the mazda kl...guess i'm just moody:laugh:

wow, uhh, 3K is a darn good price. what keeps me from building my own custom kit? the ability to weld very good at all! and i hope to get a good bead on that one day here in the future.:cool:

Back