• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Choosing new suspension setup...

How do you adjust the shocks/coilovers with the KSports! I dont understand the top of the strut with the line measurements. Can you even do that while the strut is on ur car?

- amyn

How do you adjust the shocks/coilovers with the KSports! I dont understand the top of the strut with the line measurements. Can you even do that while the strut is on ur car?

- amyn

That is to adjust the camber.

I just called and spoke with Ksport again and it looks like it will be about 2 weeks before they have anything setup. At that point I may have the opportunity to test fit them on my car. I'll keep everyone updated with the progress.

Well two weeks have passed and I called and spoke with the same guy again. Who then had spoke with the project coordinator. He came back and told me due to delays in other higher priority projects I was told it will be another two months before they have anything.

At this point I'm getting pretty frustrated. So I told him I wanted to know if one of the engineer's could respond to the question as to why they did not duplicate the OEM mounting of the strut and why the tab was left out of the design.

So if I still don't have an answer to that question by mid next week I think I'm just going to scrap the whole KSport strut idea and purchase the BAT kit or KONI kit.

However let it be know that even if I don't buy the KSport kit now... I'm going to keep on these guys until I get this resolved.

Last edited:
i guess that means the Ksports i ordered last week wont have the tabs on them. oh well, there have been enough other people with the D2s and Ksports that havent had issues that im not worried about it.

I just hope i get them soon so i can get some miles on them before SZ

Just get the Koni kit. :)

I want to be able to adjust dampening as well as height, which means I need a coil over kit. I sure as hell don't want to pay ~400 bucks in addition to the strut cost for just the coil overs that GC has to offer. So it really looks like my only options is KSport or D2's... unless I'm missing something. Well unless you include the awesome BOMZ coil overs :nonono:

What do you mean about adjusting dampening. What exactly does that do?

isnt that the same thing as the shock adjustability with the Koni's??

- amyn

sort of. the konis only have rebound adjustment while the ksports have rebound and compression. although you cant adjust them seperatly you do adjust both.

you can actually change the entire vehicle dynamics just by changing the dampening of the front and rear struts. it allows you to get the car closer to neutral steering easier.

Hmmm???

So technically adjusting the dampening properly can lead to a comfortable ride with the kSports as i hear they are not too comfy...

- amyn

IDK about comfortable as the springs are still pretty stiff but a more balanced car can be achieved.

I know i'm jumping in late in this conversation, but it's driving me nuts. I read this forum a lot, but i hardly ever post. When i do post, I try to make a valid point that no one has made yet. In this case it's because there has been a lot of discussion on "adjustability". Yet no one has posted a single dyno graph on the two main dampers that seem to be discussed; the koni and the ksport. The only graph i could find directly comparing the two is on 240sx dampers, but it should show the true quality in manufacturing of the two different products.
Here is the comparison of of a pair the ksports. As you can see on the graph, to get these two dampers to a near even level, You would need to set one to full stiff, and the other to full soft. http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/sleeper33/KsportRearFinal.jpg
Here's another pair of the ksports. As you can see again, It's nearly the same. So if you wanted an even level of adjustment, you would be left with no adjustment whatsoever.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a...om/albums/a160/sleeper33/KsportFrontFinal.jpg
I'm only going to show one koni graph, because all the koni graphs i've seen have been very consistent. These are also a 240sx application. The konis are typically softer than the ksports in the applications that both companies make a set of dampers for. But koni uses a linear valve instead of a progressive valve, which reduces the need for more aggressive valving by offering more dampening earlier on in the bump and rebound.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/sleeper33/konidynograph.jpg
So for quality, performance, and comfort i went with with koni. The only department ksport wins my favor is price. I compete in motorsports a lot and have seen many people go from ksports and teins to konis with ground controls. I have also seen very competitive drivers very satisfied with their ksports and teins.

Goumba,

I bugged Ksport for a month to send me dyno plots, and got nothing. Consequently, I sold my Ksports without ever installing them (I had a few other issues w/ them as well). If I had access to a shock dyno, I'd have run them though.

I do agree with you that the quality control on the Koni's is significantly better; but most Koni yellows I've driven in various cars have been overdamped in rebound, making the car "feel" faster, but not actually help grip any. Koni's actual race products are different though, we run some of their race dampers in our Koni Challenge Mustangs, and they work quite well.

I ended up going w/ the Spax adjustable dampers on my Contour, and so far they seem pretty good, but I've only driven them on the street, in the winter . . . I have yet to run them too hard. I'm a bit compromised in my spring rates too though, as I went a little softer for street ride than I would have if it was going to be a dedicated track car.

I know i'm jumping in late in this conversation, but it's driving me nuts. I read this forum a lot, but i hardly ever post. When i do post, I try to make a valid point that no one has made yet. In this case it's because there has been a lot of discussion on "adjustability". Yet no one has posted a single dyno graph on the two main dampers that seem to be discussed; the koni and the ksport. The only graph i could find directly comparing the two is on 240sx dampers, but it should show the true quality in manufacturing of the two different products.
Here is the comparison of of a pair the ksports. As you can see on the graph, to get these two dampers to a near even level, You would need to set one to full stiff, and the other to full soft. http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/sleeper33/KsportRearFinal.jpg
Here's another pair of the ksports. As you can see again, It's nearly the same. So if you wanted an even level of adjustment, you would be left with no adjustment whatsoever.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a...om/albums/a160/sleeper33/KsportFrontFinal.jpg
I'm only going to show one koni graph, because all the koni graphs i've seen have been very consistent. These are also a 240sx application. The konis are typically softer than the ksports in the applications that both companies make a set of dampers for. But koni uses a linear valve instead of a progressive valve, which reduces the need for more aggressive valving by offering more dampening earlier on in the bump and rebound.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a160/sleeper33/konidynograph.jpg
So for quality, performance, and comfort i went with with koni. The only department ksport wins my favor is price. I compete in motorsports a lot and have seen many people go from ksports and teins to konis with ground controls. I have also seen very competitive drivers very satisfied with their ksports and teins.

HUH?
Is this english?

Good post. Thanks for sharing.

I know i'm jumping in late in this conversation, but it's driving me nuts. I read this forum a lot, but i hardly ever post. When i do post, I try to make a valid point that no one has made yet. In this case it's because there has been a lot of discussion on "adjustability". Yet no one has posted a single dyno graph on the two main dampers that seem to be discussed; the koni and the ksport.

C'mon now, the big kids are talking.
i was about to say the same thing. its english, you just have to understand it. :D

looking at the graph of the Koni's, there is no key so you dont know which lines go with each strut. one can assume that the red and "purple" lines are from the same strut and the green and blue lines are from the other. also, how old are those graphs or the struts used for the testing? quality control may (probably not though) have changed if those graphs are a couple years old.

i had the konis with GC (knockoffs) for 2 years and liked them. however, since i stole the konis for my other car to go with the B&Gs, i decided to try something different this time. since i wanted coilovers for the height adjustability, i didnt want to void the warrenty on the Koni's, and the ksports are cheaper, i went with them. the car, while it will still be street driven, will not be my daily driver so comfort is not a huge concern.

Another factor to consider here, as contourspd98 so nicely pointed out, is that the vast majority of contour owners (and all car owners for that matter) don't know JACK about suspension, and how different adjustments really affect how well the car handles. Most just like an aggressive feeling shock tune regardless of whether the car is actually faster around a track or not. And many like coilovers just so they can adjust the ride height for aesthetic purposes (not caring about what it does to the suspension geometry . . .)

Another factor to consider here, as contourspd98 so nicely pointed out, is that the vast majority of contour owners (and all car owners for that matter) don't know JACK about suspension, and how different adjustments really affect how well the car handles. Most just like an aggressive feeling shock tune regardless of whether the car is actually faster around a track or not. And many like coilovers just so they can adjust the ride height for aesthetic purposes (not caring about what it does to the suspension geometry . . .)
thats another good point. i plan on leaving it all the way up near stock ride height for now until i can get some roll center adjusters made to correct the geometery after i lower it.

idk if you have seen my other post(s) about suspension geometery or not Rara. i might post it here again so you can read through it and provide some feedback on my understanding of it.

striker, just PM me the link or something, I'll take a look. Fwiw, I don't claim to be a suspension expert, I just have had the honor of working with some of the best chassis engineers over the years, so I've picked up a few things, and have some good friends I can refer my own questions to . . .

Back