• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

change rotors?

csvt90

CEG'er
i know this is probably an easy task but is there any special tools to do this? also how to do it? i couldnt find nothing on changing the rotors. help please. the link i clicked on wasnt found

take the wheel off, take the caliper off, take the rotor off. very easy task to do with basic tools. are you doing front, rear, or both?

yeah. sometimes you just have to beat the rotor hat area(not where the pad surface area is) with a hammer.

front caliper is two bolts. i believe the rear is only one. haven't dont rear brakes on a contour in a while(even though i need to!)

You should still be able to remove the parking brake cable and unbolt the bracket like on the fronts.

I know my car has torx in the back and hex on the tranny but I loaned a buddy some hex bits so they could do their tranny not too long ago.

My E0 had (2) T50 torx bolts on the rear calipers. I didn't move/remove anything on the parking brake system when I did mine a few weeks ago - just monkeyed around with various extensions and ratchet sizes to get the right combination of length, head size, and lever arm to physically get 'em loose. 'Twas a bit of a pain but nothing worse than anything else on these cars. They did take me about twice as long as the fronts though.

I'm sure your done by now. I know my fronts had allen and my rear had torx. Could have just been from the previous owner. I did have on the rear rotors push nuts on two of the Studs. Guess just extra support(is if the wheel was not enough)

Did help on the reinstall since I left the e-brake cable attached to the Caliper/bracket

Back