• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car dead...New car soon...TIBBY

LOL I honestly dont care what he gets but I think he needs to shop around before he decides on a car. He's the one that is going to be driving it around not me. He is on a contour site, if he goes on a Hyundai site they will be like "oh why you driving a Ford, they break all the time they are so slow blah blah blah"
This is what happens when you get on a forum that is dedicated to ONE car. And the Cobalt SS does come in auto but its a 2.4L auto, still UGH! But whatever I drive two slow a$$ gramma cars that are good for nothing else than getting grocery's, especially the one with the big fire extinguisher I have in the trunk.

That's the attitude that makes this forum fall closer and closer to other forums as the time passes. So let me get this straight, just because every other forum does something...you have to do it too? That's what I'm getting out of that.

What purpose does mentioning a fire extinguisher have? Does it make it super extra sweet? If that's the case then I guess my Jeep is just flat out awesome too.

Oh and...

LOL I honestly dont care what he gets

Then why are you posting?

You are missing the point. We are not trying to get him into a contour (except bill)... none of the suggestions thus far have been one. If we really thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread we would be suggesting he get one. All we are trying to do is make sure he doesn't buy slow, heavy, sporty-looking crap. He is artificially limiting himself on what he is looking for and we are trying to get him to stop it.

I apologize for the misunderstanding Doug. The way it came out through text made it seem like you were being callous and pushing for a Mazda. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

What purpose does mentioning a fire extinguisher have? Does it make it super extra sweet? If that's the case then I guess my Jeep is just flat out awesome too.
You know nothing about my car so why bother acting like you do? If you care so much why don't you get him a nice car, like a Chrysler product :)

I know I don't belong here, after it was pointed out to me in your last thread, but grant me a pass here.

Not true, you are more than welcome here. The bashing that came in the other thread, that was not welcome here. ;)
The rest of your post had some good advice. Thank you Robert.
I agree, the Nissan Maxima was one of the vehicles that I was going to recommend that Marc take a look at.
I understand that you want something sporty looking Marc. Can't blame you there. We are trying to help you find something that will be good on your wallet as well as reliable for you. Mods, they can come later. Right now you need reliable transportation and want good looks to go along with that.
We just want you to explore some other options before making a decision so you get the most bang for your buck.

Have you expanded your search area away from Philly? Check my area too. If you take a look at Bethlehem Ford and want me to go look at something for you, let me know. Last I saw they had other makes beside Ford on their used lot.

PS. I'm glad Glenn and Doug made up. :)

Yes Glenn, your Jeep is awesome and so is Bill's car. Now, let's play nice boys. We are here to help Marc remember.

Last edited:
You know nothing about my car so why bother acting like you do? If you care so much why don't you get him a nice car, like a Chrysler product :)

I'm not pretending to know anything about your car. You mentioned a fire extinguisher, so I commented on the fire extinguisher. Seems pretty understandable to me.

Since you want to take a jab at my vehicle when I never said anything about yours (you're the one who called it an old persons car), I'm willing to bet the reliability of a 4.0L is pretty superior to whatever you have.

Very doubtful! Then again I dont drive my car at all mostly.
Fire extinguisher=nitrous bottles

Just at 236k miles and the only noise is a possible wrist pin. No major work was ever done to this thing...and I've beat on it pretty good on the trails. So yeah...I'd take the reliability of this tank of a motor than yours running nitrous.

When there are threads like this that allow for people's opinons - it can get really hairy quickly, huh? Doors for opinions bring out crazies!

FWIW, I like Tiburons especially in 2.7L form. My sister bought one in late 2007. It was a 2.7L ATX. I drove it a few times and here are my impressions. Torquey! Especially on the low end but smooth all throughout it's powerband although that sense of speed is most obvious off the line. I thought it handled like a sport coupe should but actually felt heavy. It looked incredible. The interior design was OKAY - kind of dark and bland. It could've grown on me but it lacked in that department as well as rear seat room. The GTs with MTX's are notorious for that faulty clutch but that's irrelevant in your case. The car does have a nice aftermarket if you're interested in that kind of thing. Nobody should be knocking you for not wanting to learn stick - who really gives a flying fnck? Although, if you learn and get good at it you'll never own a sporty automatic car again.

At the end of the day my Cougar would run rings around a stock ATX Tiburon. Sad, but true. Actually, I've owned one or two SE's at a redlight. lol

thanks for all the feedback guys...not trying to make people start fights or anything.

for some reason i really like the VW GTIs.
they have one of the cheapest insurances to cover out of everything i looked at....surprisingly the only thing cheaper was a rx8 (yes doug a mazda i know haha)

only a dollar or 2 change so im not really stressing it.

my dad is worried that the vw are not reliable...and if i purchase one for cheaper than a dealership (not just used cars) that it may break down quickly.
now my stepmoms co-worker (and good friend for all that it matters) has an 02 VW Jetta and she hasnt had any problems with it...with the exception of the normal wear and tear i.e brakes wearing down etc.
now for a 8 yr old car to not have any problems at all?
that gives me a good point of view on them...besides the fact that i already like them.

dont go by me hoping on the VW train either if yous were thinking it...i looked up vw GTI are one of the safest cars today. hence the insurance..they also have alot of the other things i like:
i can get an automanic, alot have heated seats, CD players, sunroofs.
now some may be ugly i think some look good.

have any of you had a 03-05 vw GTI/Jetta 1.8T?
i know theyre pretty quick stock so speed is not an issue there either.
as far as between stick/auto i think not having to worry about a clutch replacement eventually that helps alot too.

2 of my friends have GTIs and they are driving the VW train...if you get what i mean. Now in my position that can be a good thing...they know how to do all their own work (im sure not EVERYTHING) on their GTIs...compared to me.
so thats a plus there too.

well give me some feedback on this ill check back tomorrow after school to hear some of your suggestions.

Thanks alot guys i appreciate the help.

Did you read my post? At all?

Yes, I had a 2003 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T 5-speed with the sport pack from 2006-2008 and I put 20,000 miles on it. GLI's have the looks, most definitely, but GLS has much nicer interior.

Mine had some issues, but nothing major. I had the cat replaced under warranty (emissions is like 8 years or 90,000 miles IIRC), the lower radiator hose came off and I didn't realize it until the temperature gauge was pegged at 260 and started beeping at me. However, after reattaching the hose, refilling the coolant and letting it cool, it ran absolutely fine. I eventually ended up having to replace the coolant temperature sensor and thermostat, which are common 1.8T issues, and there is a nice how-to with pictures on VW Vortex. The job wasn't a lot of fun, but I spent more time looking for the thermostat bolt that I dropped and fell hidden behind the alternator, than the entire rest of the job (about an hour job). Other than that, I didn't have to do anything.

The 1.8T motors are supposedly known for developing oil sludge buildup issues past 70,000 miles, so you need to make sure that you use a good quality synthetic oil. I never did, but then again, I sold it at 70,500 miles, and I know that it was still chugging along over a year later.

The car consistently got 24-25 MPG and I didn't exactly drive it easy. It was actually kind of hard to drive it easy, because even at less than 1/4 throttle, as soon as that itty bitty turbo spools up, it wanted to take off, especially in the winter. That, and the rev limiter seemed to only work when traveling in a straight line, not when in a turn for some reason. I will tell you that they will do 7400+ RPM without breaking anything, but I suggest you not try. Factory boost for a 2003-2006 is 11 or 12 PSI, and the turbo spools to full boost at 1700 RPM, with peak torque (174 ft-lbs) achieved at 1900 RPM.

I'm a bigger guy at 6'1" and 200 lbs or so, so the car just felt a little small to me. I had plenty of leg room, and the steering wheel tilt/telescopes, but sometimes I kind of felt like I was wearing the car, a problem which I never had with the Contour, and certainly don't have with my current land yacht.

Did you read my post? At all?

Yes, I had a 2003 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T 5-speed with the sport pack from 2006-2008 and I put 20,000 miles on it. GLI's have the looks, most definitely, but GLS has much nicer interior.

Mine had some issues, but nothing major. I had the cat replaced under warranty (emissions is like 8 years or 90,000 miles IIRC), the lower radiator hose came off and I didn't realize it under the temperature gauge was pegged at 260 and started beeping at me. However, after reattaching the hose, refilling the coolant and letting it cool, it ran absolutely fine. I eventually ended up having to replace the coolant temperature sensor and thermostat, which are common 1.8T issues, and there is a nice how-to with pictures on VW Vortex. The job wasn't a lot of fun, but I spent more time looking for the thermostat bolt that I dropped and fell hidden behind the alternator, than the entire rest of the job (about an hour job). Other than that, I didn't have to do anything.

The 1.8T motors are supposedly known for developing oil sludge buildup issues past 70,000 miles, so you need to make sure that you use a good quality synthetic oil. I never did, but then again, I sold it at 70,500 miles, and I know that it was still chugging along over a year later.

The car consistently got 24-25 MPG and I didn't exactly drive it easy. It was actually kind of hard to drive it easy, because even at less than 1/4 throttle, as soon as that itty bitty turbo spools up, it wanted to take off, especially in the winter. That, and the rev limiter seemed to only work when traveling in a straight line, not when in a turn for some reason. I will tell you that they will do 7400+ RPM without breaking anything, but I suggest you not try. Factory boost for a 2003-2006 is 11 or 12 PSI, and the turbo spools to full boost at 1700 RPM, with peak torque (174 ft-lbs) achieved at 1900 RPM.

I'm a bigger guy at 6'1" and 200 lbs or so, so the car just felt a little small to me. I had plenty of leg room, and the steering wheel tilt/telescopes, but sometimes I kind of felt like I was wearing the car, a problem which I never had with the Contour, and certainly don't have with my current land yacht.

now you said you had a warranty? does that come standard with all vw?
and your talking about a jetta GLI/GLS 1.8t im talking about GTIs.

so if i get it and put synthetic oil in it it should help it?
the car im looking at has 63k miles on it and its 9k.....butt whos to say i cant talk the guy down.
it says he owned it(adult owner) which means it wasnt beaten down hard.
im going to call the place today after schoool then go to work.
maybe tomorrow i can go check it out..
thanks for the reply.

anyone else?

Just read through this thread. Marc, you have a way with getting people frustrated, hehe. ;)

Anyways, I think you should nudge your desired mileage a little bit to allow for some flex in the price you are looking for. We can't always have everything we want.

Here's a couple cars I was looking at that you might enjoy:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1624480973.html
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1621151316.html
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1624211479.html

You were looking at Cobalt SSs, so I'm guessing stick isn't out of the question? Stellar deal here...5-door, too. More practical than the 3...
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1603415861.html

They are nice cars thats for sure

I Learned stick on my first car , 1995 Contour GL , with 170~miles with 2 broken struts in the back LOL so i had to learn quick or else id be jumpin up and down

Awesome deal on the ZX5 SVT. Not too keen on the stripes, but maybe it's just vinyl. Also not a 5-door fan, practicality be damned. It kills the nice lines of the ZX3, to me. Still though, if you don't mind the extra doors, that's an awesome find for someone.

now you said you had a warranty? does that come standard with all vw?
and your talking about a jetta GLI/GLS 1.8t im talking about GTIs.

so if i get it and put synthetic oil in it it should help it?
the car im looking at has 63k miles on it and its 9k.....butt whos to say i cant talk the guy down.
it says he owned it(adult owner) which means it wasnt beaten down hard.
im going to call the place today after schoool then go to work.
maybe tomorrow i can go check it out..
thanks for the reply.

anyone else?

GTI...GLI...GLS. All the same for all intensive purposes. One's a hatch, and the others are sedans. Same platform, some motors, etc.

The emissions warranty is one that isn't usually listed. It's like 8-9 years. I believe VW standard warranties are 3yr/36k bumper-bumper, 5y/60k powertrain, and 12y/Unl Corrosion.

Synthetic oil is recommended to avoid the sludge issues.

I bought my 2003 GLS for $12,000 in the spring of 2006 and sold it for $10,500 ($500 over blue book) in the spring of 2008 and had people literally trying to bid in my driveway after I had taken a deposit. So, I'm thinking $9,000 might be a little high, but who knows.

I'm not going to lie...Tiburons are known as the slowest, fast-looking car. Even in the the v6/manual model's zero to sixty times are in the 8 seconds. Its basically as slow as a stock v6 automatic contour. If you are going to buy a tibby automatic, add on the cai and the exhaust most car people will acknowledge you as a flake.

I'm not trying to be mean, but it is the honest truth.

God's honest opinion, maybe. There was a crew of guys at SZ09 who stopped talking, turned their heads and were staring at my Tiburon GT because of how sick it sounded on the dyno - got some compliments too. Sometimes it's about what you enjoy driving and not all about power. Besides, I enjoy crawling the Chippewa Strip and letting the women eye-fawk me as I roll by. Wouldn't happen in a Contour, but I still love them :)

Back