• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

BAT Kit installed - Way Lower in the REAR?

SilvaSVT98

New CEG'er
The car is a 1998 Contour SVT (with FSVT Wheels)

Just got my BAT Euro-Kit installed today, by a very very very busy shop. got the car back and noticed it was DUMPED in the rear and modestly lower in the front. I thought, maybe its because of the 70lbs of the stock suspension they threw in the trunk - NO. I've lowered my previous car before and understand that springs have to *SETTLE,* I'm just concerned about the "sagging" in the rear, and I chose this kit because I was so pleased with everybody else's photos of the ride height/look, but something doesn't seem legit. I looked in the wheel well and the larger diameter springs are in the fronts, and the smaller ones in the back. Could the shop have put fronts set up in the back and the back in the front? (i don't know much about cars)

The smaller diameter springs/struts go in the rear. Post up some pictures? Our cars give the illusion that the rear is sitting lower than the front sometimes from the shape of the fenders. I would imagine what you're describing is pretty bad though. Try measuring the bottom of the side skirt in the front compared to the bottom of the side skirt in the rear.

Here is what i'm talking about with the rear end sagging. let me know what you think. It seems obvious, and my older bro who is nowhere near sensitive to detail even asked me why the back is so low...

Attachments

• contourrightsag2.pdf
    419.6 KB · Views: 0
  • contourrightsag3.pdf
    296.1 KB · Views: 0
Had they put the fronts in the back, you would know. The back would be sitting a lot higher and the front a lot lower... Plus, I don't even think they would fit in the back...

Looks like they may have done something wrong. Maybe they forgot to put one of the pieces of the mounts in... I'd take it back and say something about it, that's not right.

There is nothing in the trunk except a trunk cargo carrier with i jug of radiator fluid, 4 flares, a ratchet set that weights about 2 lbs, and an OBDII scanner. The shop wanted me to come back after 100 miles of driving so they can lift the car up and tighten everything up. I guess thats pretty decent of them to do; I'm definitely going to run this by them tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted. What could they have forgotten to install? I provided the BAT KIT + all 4 Strut Mounts i purchased from CTA.

I've never seen many BAT kits installed on here and I have BAT springs on my car with Koni's. Your car looks like it has a backwards rake to me. I don't know if it's impossible to install the springs in reverse to me. From what you describe it sounds right with the smaller in the rear.

you cant install the fronts in the rear or the rears in the front. the rear springs have a different diameter than the fronts. also the rear struts dont have the provisions for the brake cable and sway bar endlink that the front does.

i suspect that they forgot a part of the rear upper spring perch. there are 3 parts to it, the top little metal piece, the rubber piece with the bracket that bolts to the top of the tower, and a larger metal piece that goes between the spring and the rubber mount. you can easily install the rubber mount onto the spring directly and think its together correctly.

The VERDICT:

Took the car to the shop this morning. They wanted me to come back after 100 miles to tighten everything up. I brought up the issue, and he agreed that it sat alot lower in the back so he said he'd take a look. Four hours later... came back to pick up the car, he said he couldn't explain why it sat that way. I've looked at several of other member's set ups (Koni/B&G, Koni/Eibachs etc.) and my BAT KIT seems to sit lower than everyone else's, which disturbs me because it negates the whole purpose of me gettin this kit - to avoid the TUNER/RICER Look. Nonetheless... the car drives well, aesthetically, not as easy on the eyes for me.

The car is now getting tires rotated at Wheelworks. I did leave 1 minor detail out: the tires all around are FALKENS (forgot exact model) with same sizes on all four 215/45 17. The tires in the rear have a smaller side wall, but i don't think that would give the illusion of the rear being that saggy. When all comes back. I'll post one last picture. I kind of regret lowering the car now... if i knew it was going to be this low. Any suggestions? Do i have defective rear struts? Wrong springs sent? They were all red....thanks fellas.

The VERDICT: I did leave 1 minor detail out: the tires all around are FALKENS (forgot exact model) with same sizes on all four 215/45 17. The tires in the rear have a smaller side wall, but i don't think that would give the illusion of the rear being that saggy. When all comes back. I'll post one last picture. I kind of regret lowering the car now... if i knew it was going to be this low. Any suggestions? Do i have defective rear struts? Wrong springs sent? They were all red....thanks fellas.

Now that you mention that and I look at the pics it does look off due to the tires and the shadows of the car in one of the pics. In the other pic (overcast) the car just doesn't look right. I'd call BAT and ask. The rear looks like it sits the same as my car. The front looks up in the air.

Last edited:
the springs have been in for about 8 days now... should be settled in.

I'll post updated pictures of the cars tomorrow when the sun is out. No change. Really disappointed in what I've done with the car.

The only thing i can think of:

Could they have sent me a mismatched kit with COUGAR parts in the rear or front that have different specs??? I'm almost ready to have my buddies switch back to stock parts - i feel like a ricer.

Have you called BAT about the issue yet? Maybe they'll send you a new set of springs you could try out. For most springs the Cougar part numbers are different than the Contour ones, why would they do that if they were the exact same springs... I know they are compatible but couldn't they have different spring rates?

have you put it on a level surface to see just how much its off? remember to measure from the bottom of the side skirts to the ground..not the fenders. the rear fender isn't as tall so it makes the rear look saggy

That looks like how my car sits with my BAT kit.... with my 60lb sub box in the trunk :eek:

My BAT kit has about 80,000 miles on it now and if I pull the tonnage out of my trunk it sits nicely, not like yours. Not sure why its like that, like Todd said, give BAT a call, maybe they have some suggestions

Cougar is the same. Wouldn't change anything. Looks like a Zetec with V6 springs in the front.

I concur. It looks like my car:
100_1526.jpg

Something seems wrong...

Back