• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Antenna replacements

LilCe98

Hard-core CEG'er
I recently broke my power antenna and I'm looking into some replacements. I'd rather not go back to a power one since i fear that i might run into the same issue as the broken one. I'd rather go to a shorter, flexible one. Has anyone ever used the 13-14" replacement antennas that are on ebay and can anyone think any other types of replacements? Shark fin maybe :shrug:
Thanks
{J}

don't get a bendy antenna! god noooo!

get one of these and take pics, 4" solid aluminum

http://www.bimmian.com/product.htm?veh=MN&item=MNA&ref=1

2453574.8130671.jpg

wow.. nice find! Those aren't too expensive either. I've been planning on getting one of the internal antennas, then filling the hole.

Ive been waiting for someone to make this tread, nice find!

anyone have pics of that one or others on there car? close and from the back/side?

my current one only goes up about 17", and i like that look. its better then it going up all the way. thats way to long.

Last edited:
I was also thinking about getting an internal antenna and putting a dummy shark fin over the hole. I wasn't quite sure how it would look though. May look kinda cheesy:shrug:

yeah I think it says only fixed antennas. But you can grab those bases out of most any contour for stupid cheap. Heck I'll probably have my fixed antenna for sale after this weekend when I swap.

Last edited:
I had a nonpowered antenna and hated it. I installed a factory power antenna and I love the clean look (when the antenna is down). I would stick with a power one, but it is your call.

I had a nonpowered antenna and hated it. I installed a factory power antenna and I love the clean look (when the antenna is down). I would stick with a power one, but it is your call.
I just wish it would stay down if all you want to do is use the CD player.
Karl

I like the power motor too, but it always gets stuck or bent or both. They are just too high maintenance to me

IF all you want to use is the CD player just unplug the power to the antenna motor.
Well, yeah, no kidding. I just wish the stock unit was smart enough to wait and see what you were going to do with it before raising the antenna. Maybe no head unit does this. I just thought it would be nice.
Karl

i agree with you. my pioneer dose that as well. plus worse. i have tried re wiring the antenna but came up with the same thing.

here's my best advice, i helped a buddy do this and will soon do it myself: go to a boat supply place and get an amplified antennae. they use these things for boats miles off the coast to still get radio stations. takes a little extra wiring, but is really tiny, easily hideable, and will be the best radio signal you can get.

[edit]this works just the same: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ryZ33639QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Nakamichi had a unit a few years back that would allow manual operation of the power antenna, so if you were listening to a CD, it would stay stowed in the quarter panel. Don't remember the part number offhand, but they came in either amber or green displays.

if you don't like the antenna being up when you are using the CD player put a inline switch in so that you controll when the antenna goes up when the headunit it on ...

Back