• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Another Colorado 3.0L build!

I would be up for something like that, just a matter of making days off work...and having the free time on those days...truth is I am not doing much for the build until after my trip to mexico in feb. Until then, unless the engine let's go not much money is going towards the contour...but who can honestly say that about these money pits...?

I hear ya.. Right now I'm slammed with work.. Next week who knows... I work as a com painter and drywall finisher and I never know what's gonna happen next. I'm tryin to pick up any side jobs I can so I can afford all this but I'm hoping to have my build done before next spring.. Hopin I can get some help with my build make things move smoother and quicker

Yeah I know what you mean...I super busy all the time...I just recently started reffing hockey again so my nights are occupied now as well...but this will be my first engine build/swap so help is encouraged...also if you want to snag a timing cover at the yard instead of pulling your old 2.5 apart they're only 7 bucks....that's my plan

7 bucks dang! lol as soon as i get my engine will be more motivated to complete my install. i just hope the trans is all good. dude i bought it from said it was rebuilt around 2 yrs ago maybe 9k miles on it. who knows maybe it was a blown diff and maybe now it already has a pre98 diff?? or who know maybe its just bad lol but same for me this is my 1st build/swap. oh and i get my new motor on sat hooray!

Yeah tomorrow I've got the day off so I'm going to install a new back glass...mine isn't broken or anything,but its tinted to 15% and has the ring around the third brake light (had a spoiler, removed it and installed the package tray 3rd brake light and so I get real bad glad from the brake light at night) and I'll also be installing a hood and pair of fenders in better condition than mine. While I'm in boulder I may work on the engine abit and maybe pop open my trans just to check its condition...and possibly see what diff it has...came from an early 98 svt and rumor is some of these had pre 98 diffs. Maybe I'll get lucky!

i had the same petpeeve with the brake light in the back window... i just pulled the bulb... anyways i pick up my motor tomo morning and il try to take pics of it and some pics of my car in my tiny garage lol. oh and also i will need a driver side rear view mirror preferably black if u know of any in your yard.

So I definatly didn't get the glass in today but it will happen tomorrow afternoon...get to investigate a bit more on the 3L this afternoon...popped off a valve cover and everything thing looked great, clean, no sludge. Very encouraging. Finished pulling everything I could so now I'm to the point where I either need more tools (harmonic balancer puller), or I don't want to completely remove yet because of the duration of time between now, and when I can start buying parts.
I have also decided to buy new accessories for the 3L since the wifes dad is a manager at carquest and his discount is awesome. I may just use the old 2.5L a/c compressor though...but I'll buy a new p/s pump, alt, starter, and water pump. So far so good. But nothing really can happen til may mexico trip is saved up for!

i hear ya... i plan going no ac. so ill need new belt. and possibly delete egr..but still weighing it out. otherwise ill prolly use everything else 2.5 i have until they need replacing

Yeah I've thought about rinning no a/c...but some days are just unbearable and you need a/c to run defrost and id die without defrost...I may use my old alt, simply because I replaced it about a year ago, but it was such a pain...idk that I want to do it again...anyways, about the mirror, they just took that svt off to the crusher Thursday morning with a perfectly good black mirror on it...and we don't have any other cars in the yard that are black...if you don't care on color I'll snag you one, they are 20 bucks...let me know

AWW DARNIT i shoulda came by when you had it i mean i can glue mine back together but its just knowing that its a lil janky is not cool with me considering i can get one for cheap but i suppose i could repaint one black to match... gonna keep lookin for a black one since my build is already takin longer than i wanted

Yeah if I would have known I could have gotten it to you for 20 bucks...if you want one I can get you one...won't be black but rattle can is cheap =)

In other news I've been waiting to get ahold of a harmonic balancer puller so I can get a timing cover off one of the four 2.5L engins just sitting one the ground at work...unless someone has a puller and needed a timing cover for their build. You pull mine, yours is free. Just a thought for anyone who needs one.

I think I rented a puller from an auto part store when I did mine.

Yeah I know I can rent one real easy, just being lazy more than anything else. I'm gonna end up buying one anyways...you can't ever have too many tools! But if any one needs some non svt specific parts let me know...we have some good looking cars in our yard right now...doesn't need to be contour either.

so it seems as this build thread will never be finished... thanksgiving's eve the engine let go...funds aren't there right no to support the 3L build and so i've decided to try and sell the car whole or just part it. not sure which route im headed yet but car and parts will be in the classified section...thanks for reading...good luck to all the other 3L builds out there right now.

I'm sorry to hear that man thats too bad I would have loved to see all of us together once were all finished. But I understand the money problems. good luck with the sale

dude well then if its really money and i know its tough right now than just swap for another good 2.5! throw the svt parts you already have on it and call it good

Back