• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Aftermarket Cams?

Side note:

From what I understand about Duratec V6 cams is that they are hardened steel. DemonSVT, Haines and others said that once OEM cams were reground, they would loose their hardend layer and be too soft to last very long. Now, that's not to say that they couldn't be retreated, but I am honestly just spit balling here.

So, if whoever is trying to just regrind OEM cams..... this is something that should be addressed. For what I'm looking for, I am pretty sure they're going to have to be aftermarket cams. To cover my bases, I have sent an email off to shosource to see what exactly they're offering.

Any engine out there that swaps it's OEM cam(s) with aftermarket units that're a bit more aggressive than stock needs AT LEAST better valve springs and other valvetrain mods, if not a set of pistons that have the proper valve reliefs cut into them too (modified OEM type or custom set)

With that said...... I want something with a lot more aggressive profile than OEM Ford cams have to offer. Cat Cams might be my best choice if NorCal's cams aren't around when I am ready to buy. I'd rather pay a reputable shop to build my cammed longblock than build another turbo CSVT myself.

Since it seems like you know a bit about cams and such, or if there is anyone else that has some knowledge in this field feel free to chime in, would the ST220 valve springs be sufficient enough for any of the aftermarket cams out there? I thought I read something somewhere about those valve springs that they were stiffer than the SVT ones. I can't remember how much stiffer.

Side note:

From what I understand about Duratec V6 cams is that they are hardened steel. DemonSVT, Haines and others said that once OEM cams were reground, they would loose their hardend layer and be too soft to last very long. Now, that's not to say that they couldn't be retreated, but I am honestly just spit balling here.

So, if whoever is trying to just regrind OEM cams..... this is something that should be addressed. For what I'm looking for, I am pretty sure they're going to have to be aftermarket cams. To cover my bases, I have sent an email off to shosource to see what exactly they're offering.

If those cams from shosource are going to have to be re-grinded (sp?), how can they be retreated?

Swazo, I have SVT heads PNPed with 3L valves (brand new 20k ago), thoughts on that with aftermarket cams?

And Swazo again (lol), I'm going to be doing a full 3L swap with an ST220 UIM and maybe some light headwork (though I'm not sure on the latter), what were your thoughts be on aftermarket cams?

Sorry for all the questions man lol. Just want to be informed :)

Swazo, I have SVT heads PNPed with 3L valves (brand new 20k ago), thoughts on that with aftermarket cams?

With the lack of any real world data (...that I have found. Not to say people haven't done this. I'm sure I just haven't looked hard enough. I'll be searching a bit more for info from across the pond.) on anything other than OEM cams, me pointing you towards a cam at this point would be the blind leading the blind. lol Cat Cams produces these cams, I would wager people have used them.

If you had a any generation of any popular performance oriented engine out there other than Duratec V6's, cams are some of the first things people change. OEM cams are generally thought of as detuned POS. Until real world data is collected, somebody is going to have to be the test rat.
I'm going to be buying an already modified Contour that pretty much has everything I want to back a cammed 3L with. I'm going to just pay a shop to take the liability aspect out of this, (use an experienced modular engine builder) and assemble the components I've assembled together with input from the cam manufacturer and the machine shop. No rush and no timelines to meet, just a desired end product. When said engine is built, the CSVT's existing engine will get replaced with it.

I know a bit about cams, but there are a few variables when it comes to picking out an ideal, modified cam profile. The cam manufacturer is going to have the best idea of which profile to use for your application/expectations.

I'm guessing here, but if I were in your shoes and didn't want to do all of that....... SHOsource's cams stage I cams don't sound like they're deviating too far from the SVT profile. If that's the case, there is a good chance they could pop right in without any mods and just a good engine builder. It might be some additional and minor relief cutting on OEM pistons, at most.

Since it seems like you know a bit about cams and such, or if there is anyone else that has some knowledge in this field feel free to chime in, would the ST220 valve springs be sufficient enough for any of the aftermarket cams out there? I thought I read something somewhere about those valve springs that they were stiffer than the SVT ones. I can't remember how much stiffer.

If those cams from shosource are going to have to be re-grinded (sp?), how can they be retreated?

And Swazo again (lol), I'm going to be doing a full 3L swap with an ST220 UIM and maybe some light headwork (though I'm not sure on the latter), what were your thoughts be on aftermarket cams?

Sorry for all the questions man lol. Just want to be informed :)

I honestly would not take a chance on the ST220 springs unless you know how much lift they can handle. IIRC, their stiffer aspect makes them more desirable because there is that much less of a chance that the valves will float when engine breaking/down gearing @ higher RPMS, FI applications, etc. They're still an OEM spring that isn't likely going to be able to handle additional lift that an aftermarket performance cam will have. That's a guess though, I'm just getting back into Duratecs and have to refresh running knowledge.

If they are regrinding OEM cams, there is only so much changes you can make on an existing cam. You can't add more material, you can only take away what's already there. But, from what I recall, rehardening the cams wasn't an option. This is one of many things I have on my list to verify.

Head work is crucial. Untouched OEM heads are a MUCH better choice than it is to have gasket matching, all out hogging without keeping port traits intact, not CC matching EVERYTHING, not keeping intake to exhaust port size ratio damn close to OEM.....
Even with OEM cams, you can get nice gains with good port work. The more the cam flows, the larger amount of porting is needed and eventually valve size will have to increase.

Didn't the 04+ 3L's have the same cams as the ST220? That's the route I would go for an oval port head and ST220 springs.

We do have a set of cams that the SHO Shop had developed a profile on. I still need to dig them out as I have few sets of Duratec cams. They are regrinds of the SVT cams so they will be more aggressive then the SVT and they are a "Stage 1". Since we are getting more into the Contour we could work to produce them. We just need to select who we will use to grind them.

We have been offering SHO cams for a while and we can do these.

These wouldn't need to be group buy but we would need cores to work with as people will be waiting for cams to be ground.

So who wants cams?

Swazo, thanks for the response. Really appreciate that. Now I'm undecided on the route I should go with in regards to cams. Though that's kind of a good thing. I want to be as informed as possible before I make my decision.

CAMS CAMS CAMS! Can we use standard duratec cams instead of SVT ones?

Knowing that will also help in my decision. If I can get a hold of low km 3L cams (getting low mileage SVT cams would be pretty difficult), that'll make me feel better about getting cams re-grinded.

Also LOUDSHO, since you have experience in re-grinding cams, have there been any failures/un-safe amounts of wear/any other problems with them be it little problems or big one's?

We do have a set of cams that the SHO Shop had developed a profile on. I still need to dig them out as I have few sets of Duratec cams. They are regrinds of the SVT cams so they will be more aggressive then the SVT and they are a "Stage 1". Since we are getting more into the Contour we could work to produce them. We just need to select who we will use to grind them.

We have been offering SHO cams for a while and we can do these.

These wouldn't need to be group buy but we would need cores to work with as people will be waiting for cams to be ground.

So who wants cams?

We're always looking for aftermarket support of any kind.

One thing that I have heard about Duratec cams is that they're hardened and after a regrind it must be retreated. What's your take on this?

Also, is there any chance you would offer adjustable cam gears for Cat Cams? You could always just become one of their dealers, and just offer the cam gears and offer actual U.S. tech support for their cams. People have been pretty leery about taking the plunge without it.

Though..... I might be interested in the most aggressive regrind you can get (there is only so far you can go with regrinds....) with adjustable cam gears.

The 2.5L and some 3L engines have 2 different intake profiles, while the latest 3Ls use the same intake profile. Are regrinds available for either?

No one has filled this gap in the Duratec V6 market yet. Be the sole viable source for cams!! lol

Swazo, thanks for the response. Really appreciate that. Now I'm undecided on the route I should go with in regards to cams. Though that's kind of a good thing. I want to be as informed as possible before I make my decision.

No worries. Hopefully we all get some decent options.

One thing that I have heard about Duratec cams is that they're hardened and after a regrind it must be retreated. What's your take on this?

Also, is there any chance you would offer adjustable cam gears for Cat Cams? You could always just become one of their dealers, and just offer the cam gears and offer actual U.S. tech support for their cams. People have been pretty leery about taking the plunge without it.

Though..... I might be interested in the most aggressive regrind you can get (there is only so far you can go with regrinds....) with adjustable cam gears.

The 2.5L and some 3L engines have 2 different intake profiles, while the latest 3Ls use the same intake profile. Are regrinds available for either?

No one has filled this gap in the Duratec V6 market yet. Be the sole viable source for cams!! lol

Yeah I definately wanna hear back on all that ^^^.... Patiently waiting now :).

Knowing that will also help in my decision. If I can get a hold of low km 3L cams (getting low mileage SVT cams would be pretty difficult), that'll make me feel better about getting cams re-grinded.

Also LOUDSHO, since you have experience in re-grinding cams, have there been any failures/un-safe amounts of wear/any other problems with them be it little problems or big one's?

The SHO cams have done just fine. No issues that I have seen or heard of.

The cams would be hardened after the grinding to give a new wear surface.

The first cams I would plan to do would be based on the SVT stage 1 and would cover the slip port intakes. Once that taken care of we would move to the oval ports. From there we can go to an aggressive cam. It will take time to make sure it works out.

We will have to see about the cam gears.

The prices would be similar to the SHO cams.

It would take a few weeks to get the master cam and from there we could do it. Then try for a dyno. We would be shooting for 10-15hp.

Im game for it. What kind of car are you looking to try these cams out on? Stock SVT, 3L (what kind, Hybrid, split, full...etc), or FI one?

I would bet they can do either, but remember.... if you're starting off w/ SE cams I would be that any regrind will give you something closer to an SVT cam. Start off with SVT cams and end up with something better that that. Look at the differences between ATX and MTX SHO cams on their site for a better idea.

Personally, I think I'm going to go with Cat Cams and source my own gears. I'd like to have something a bit more than what a regrind can offer. No chance on SHO Source becoming a Cat Cam dealer, is there?

I would bet they can do either, but remember.... if you're starting off w/ SE cams I would be that any regrind will give you something closer to an SVT cam. Start off with SVT cams and end up with something better that that. Look at the differences between ATX and MTX SHO cams on their site for a better idea.

Ok this may sound stupid, but what about using 04+ 3L cams for the regrind? If the specs that they are going to re-grind them too were off of SVT cams in the first place, would they be able to do it with the 04+ 3L cams? I just want to use lower mileage cams if I'm going to partake in the re-grinding of cams.

Back