• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Aftermarket Cams?

Swazo

Hard-core CEG'er
Has anyone actually ran aftermarket cams yet? The last I recall is a set of cat cams that changed owners, but were never installed.

There is a set for sale on NECO right now.

I would consider those more custom than aftermarket :shrug:. I was actually gonna purchase a set of those race cams that someone else had for sale on here and NECO. He was only selling them for like $150 or $200, but when I inquired about them, they literally sold 2 mins before.

Edit: Nima had a set of custom/aftermarket cams? May have to find out more about them then from him/Mani lol.

Thanks

I would consider those more custom than aftermarket :shrug:. I was actually gonna purchase a set of those race cams that someone else had for sale on here and NECO. He was only selling them for like $150 or $200, but when I inquired about them, they literally sold 2 mins before.

Edit: Nima had a set of custom/aftermarket cams? May have to find out more about them then from him/Mani lol.

IIRC. He had the second to the top cams listed on Cat Cam's web site.

I do believe the Cat cams require custom gears that TH knows where to get....IIRC! I inquired about them a few years back and was told not to even both with them because they are going to be a major PITA to install (was told by a few well respected CEGers on here). I think thats why they keep changing hands.

shosource.com has a set sitting on a shelf at their shop, I found that out searching through CEG about 6 months ago. I PM'd them, they still have them, I believe they are from the car that was featured in the 'SVT on Steroids' article in Fast Fords magazine. Shosource told me they would be willing to regrind a set of cams to the specs of those cams. He didnt have the specs off hand though.....

You would be looking at about $500 vs. $1600+
Maybe even see if there is interest in a GB, I would buy a set

shosource.com has a set sitting on a shelf at their shop, I found that out searching through CEG about 6 months ago. I PM'd them, they still have them, I believe they are from the car that was featured in the 'SVT on Steroids' article in Fast Fords magazine. Shosource told me they would be willing to regrind a set of cams to the specs of those cams. He didnt have the specs off hand though.....

Depending on the grind I'd be interested in a GB.

I was just researching options for cams when I was searching a few months ago, so I didnt ask for the specs. Here is the info I was able to find......

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/socal-neco/100002-cam-tester.html

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/3-0l-duratec-performance/93022-svt-stage-1-cams.html

I think thats our best option, I talked to LOUDSHO92 about these back in October

So i'm guessing those Cams (Stage 1 Cams as they were reffered to) won't be as aggressive as the race cams then that are on NECO right now. As long as those won't need custom dished pistons and such, I'm definately interested. Especially at the price that they said, which if I was looking correctly would be $450 ish-$500. You should get back into contact with LOUDSHO92 about the cams, seems like there may be some interest.

So i'm guessing those Cams (Stage 1 Cams as they were reffered to) won't be as aggressive as the race cams then that are on NECO right now. As long as those won't need custom dished pistons and such, I'm definately interested. Especially at the price that they said, which if I was looking correctly would be $450 ish-$500. You should get back into contact with LOUDSHO92 about the cams, seems like there may be some interest.

His post about them being $450ish was from 4 years ago, back in Oct (2009) he said around $500.....Ill shoot him a PM, see if he can pop into this thread and answer some questions.

Id be in for a set as long as they were a little more aggressive than the SVT ones AND came with the gears on them. Also, if they worked in a stock svt and a 3L even better (IE no custom pistons or valve work)

I do believe the Cat cams require custom gears that TH knows where to get....IIRC! I inquired about them a few years back and was told not to even both with them because they are going to be a major PITA to install (was told by a few well respected CEGers on here). I think thats why they keep changing hands.

Any engine out there that swaps it's OEM cam(s) with aftermarket units that're a bit more aggressive than stock needs AT LEAST better valve springs and other valvetrain mods, if not a set of pistons that have the proper valve reliefs cut into them too (modified OEM type or custom set)

Now forced induction is becoming a pretty common thing in these parts, I am shocked to see people shy away from what car enthusiasts have done from the very beginning to squeeze a bit more power out of their cars. A cam swap.
A lot of the parts that a hardcore FI setup would need, a hardcore NA setup would also need. Only in a hardcore NA setup, you don't need a $$$$ turbo, $$$$ IC system, additional exhaust piping, additional supporting mods and a giant shoe horn that an NA car wouldn't need. :shrug:

With that said...... I want something with a lot more aggressive profile than OEM Ford cams have to offer. Cat Cams might be my best choice if NorCal's cams aren't around when I am ready to buy. I'd rather pay a reputable shop to build my cammed longblock than build another turbo CSVT myself.

What do they have on their shelf now, an aggressive profile? I'd rather not do a GB, but then again I'm in no rush to get what I need.

Back