• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

accident....

I'll admit I have been 20 over before, but rarely at the risk of others. If there are bound to be people around, you need to keep speed reasonable, especially if you barely have any brakes left.

I think we all have, but besides that point. I find most people who do are very careless will doing it. weaving in and out of lanes and cutting people off. I don't know how everything went down in this event. It pretty much sounds like he got cut off. From the pictures his story sounds right. The worst part about this, is he had bad brakes:crazy:

i got cut off and it shouldve been completely her fault but the cops said that if i was going 20mph slower she might have seen me......BULL! she didnt even look at in my direction before she pulled out.

bob randalls got a sunroof for me that we are throwing in this weekend.

i got cut off and it shouldve been completely her fault but the cops said that if i was going 20mph slower she might have seen me......BULL! she didnt even look at in my direction before she pulled out.

bob randalls got a sunroof for me that we are throwing in this weekend.

If you weren't going 20 mph over the speed limit you would have been like a 1/2 mile further back...............:nonono:

At what intersection did this occur?

On most New England roads, 35 is more than fast enough. I know roads with 35mph posted that are curvy and have tons of blind spots.

Meh, he could have a point. I know of plenty of roads that are 35mph and yet they have the feel of many other 45mph roads. It looks like this was in a rural setting, which would have the feel of a 45mph road possibly.

But it all depends on the width of the road...it's hard to tell in the pictures but 35mph seems like the feel of the road. But then again, those are only pictures :cool:

many people can say they've been 20 over.

many less can still say that when they KNOW they had no brakes left!
fewer still would CHOOSE to do so in that unsafe condition.

glad you're okay, and all.. but this isn't the first time you've been in a near-hurtful experience with some sort of "I was only doing this" condition.

20 over is more than 50% over the limit here, and is VERY obvious. You were travelling nearly twice as fast as you should have been on that road (with bad brakes no less). She very likely did look, and didn't realize you were going so much faster than you should have been, so it seemed like she "cut you off".
The bottom line here is that the incident was 100% your fault, you were driving unsafely, and it is unreasonable to assume that she knew you were going so much faster than you should have been. YOU were irresponsible and were putting other people in danger. Plus, its bad enough that you were doing 20 over, but you were doing it with critical safety equipment (your brakes) in poor working order.

On most New England roads, 35 is more than fast enough. I know roads with 35mph posted that are curvy and have tons of blind spots.

That seems tame even for the prune juice and metamucil set. Go 35 most everywhere, and you'll be really late for bingo.

True but much less likely to create orphans.

Nobody is saying that driving recklessly is a good idea. Most auto enthusiasts will agree that a great many speed limits are set low. That's not an argument for speeding all over the place, however. Plenty of New England roads have 45 MPH limits, but you won't catch me or others running 35 in those zones as a general rule. There's no need to drive around like you're old enough to remember when there weren't any cars.

Laura, this is what you quoted. Late to bingo or not 20 over seems to be pushing the edge a little if this descriptive of the area of this asscident. I don't go under the speed limit normally but I don't go 20 over at night here in black horse drawn buggy country either.

Back