• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A sneak peak at the new CEG main site design

Only if wiki access is either RESTRICTED, or set to be approved on modifications... I, for one, am not going to have the how-tos (current or future) be ruined by someone who thinks it would be funny to erase/modify, etc

Only if wiki access is either RESTRICTED, or set to be approved on modifications... I, for one, am not going to have the how-tos (current or future) be ruined by someone who thinks it would be funny to erase/modify, etc

exactly. i've also seen a lot of people giving inaccurate or completely incorrect information swearing that it is all accurate and valid.

I have 2 questions:

1) Will all of the prior archives be imported into the new forums? I'm not sure why this was never done with the past forums moves.

No, they will remain separate & archived

2) Will the howto be using a wiki? If not... then can it? Just from the forums... someone will write a howto thread that is mostly accurate, then several people add to that thread to clarify/correct sections of it. I always thought a wiki would be an ideal replacement for that.

umm.. 3) About wiki's... even general guides (not necessarily howtos) like 3.0L specs, 2.5L specs, MTX-75 specs, etc... would be nice to have on individual wiki pages.

I think Ray said it best. I see the value of having a wiki, but I don't want the lack of control that comes with a wiki setup. There is to much valuable information that can be lost or vandalized so at this point in time it will be a traditional information page(s) setup.

This guy approves.
orig.jpg

Of course a wiki setup shouldn't be left completely open. Don't they even typically allow for undoing others changes?

And Ray... I don't think anyone has ever needed to update your howto's.

But... here's an example. Someone writes a 100% accurate howto article.... complete, but without pictures. Someone attempts it, and thinks it really needs pictures... as no matter how many words there are, it just isn't totally clear. So they snap some pics while following the howto process. They could them insert them in to the wiki.... ideally requiring the author to commit those changes. Currently, people would submit a second howto.. including the original authors text and including their pictures.

I totally understand the wikipedia aspect/concern... I just think that, if proper control was configured, it could be pretty nice.

Can I have a control so I can change it to how I like it? I only want flying monkeys and Monty Python style clipart. And when the page opens it'll have Right Said Fred playing I'm too sexy.

oh yeah:laugh:

But I guess I like the new design as is and will accept it. Good work!!!

hopefully, the new site will be viewable by mobile device and fully functional with working comment boxes, etc

Look up opera mobile. Its a java based proggie for Windows mobile equipped phones. I surf CEG on my phone all the time.

Look up opera mobile. Its a java based proggie for Windows mobile equipped phones. I surf CEG on my phone all the time.
I think he's looking for something optimized for mobile use. This new website looks like it will rely heavily on large GIF/JPG images even for links, which will certainly look horrible on a 2" screen. Even VBulletin is bloated on a tiny screen. The "Contour.org" logo at the top of this page takes up my entire display.

[
On my phone (Nokia 9300b / Symbian) :
- default browser (Opera based) : CEG VBulletin pages take forever and a day to download. No idea why. Works great when they do load.
- Opera Java browser : CEG Vbulletin pages load VERY quickly (<30 seconds), but the browser is inept at scrolling up/down. Scrolling lags badly and it never stops when I want it to.
]

I'm 0 for 2 so far on browsers :(

I have no problem with any form of pictures. Opera zooms out so you can get an over view of the full page, and then you select the zone you want to see. :shrug:. jpgs, gifs, picture links, no problemo.

Maybe my phone is just a designed for browsing more than others...

htc-mogul.jpg

I already have opera mini downloaded, but hadn't thought of trying out ceg on it...usually just go with IE...anyway im trying it now and i just keep getting a not logged in screen. once i do log in, i get a being redirected screen...blah blah if no redirect click this box...takes me back to not logged in screen...oh well i'll try it again later

IE mobile lets me see the site beautifully, dont mind if its not mobile friendly. the problem is that i cant enter comments in the post reply box

anyway, the update's gonna look real spiffy

I think he's looking for something optimized for mobile use. This new website looks like it will rely heavily on large GIF/JPG images even for links, which will certainly look horrible on a 2" screen. Even VBulletin is bloated on a tiny screen. The "Contour.org" logo at the top of this page takes up my entire display.

[
On my phone (Nokia 9300b / Symbian) :
- default browser (Opera based) : CEG VBulletin pages take forever and a day to download. No idea why. Works great when they do load.
- Opera Java browser : CEG Vbulletin pages load VERY quickly (<30 seconds), but the browser is inept at scrolling up/down. Scrolling lags badly and it never stops when I want it to.
]

I'm 0 for 2 so far on browsers :(
Make sure your phone is at the latest firmware level. I have the Nokia 9300i and the changelog for the latest firmware (that I haven't yet purchased) claims to have major improvements in Opera's (embedded -- not java) speed. I also check CEG on my phone... it's a little laggy, but not too bad. My fear is that the new site will be flash dependent (WorldTour: comments?), which the embedded Opera doesn't support. Since your phone is a domestic model, you shouldn't have any problems getting it upgraded.

As is my understanding; The site (in its currently worked on design) is NOT flash based. IF certain additions would be warranted they would come at a later time.

Back