• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

a new nautilus cai. is sad

Actually, the stock airbox is so restrictive that the Vararam makes a significant dyno proven gain over stock without tuning. That's what you can do with a real motor that didn't have everything tweaked from the factory like the SVT Contours did.

So, the engineers did such a bad job in making it, that a simple thing like an air box can make such huge gains? That is what I am getting out of that statement. Personally I would rather have the tweaked engine vs the under engineered one. Personal choice but that is just me.

So, the engineers did such a bad job in making it, that a simple thing like an air box can make such huge gains? That is what I am getting out of that statement. Personally I would rather have the tweaked engine vs the under engineered one. Personal choice but that is just me.

It's not a question of being under engineered, but a question of WHAT it was originally engineered for. The stock unit was engineered for minimal NVH, like almost all factory air intakes are. The aftermarket performance units are MUCH louder, and some people don't like that. My question would be what the hell those people are buying that particular car for in that case. GM isn't alone in this game. Look at the SE or Zetec intake compared to the SVT cone setup. Obviously they could make something that performed better (SVT) but installed the normal one instead, for NVH reasons.

It's not a question of being under engineered, but a question of WHAT it was originally engineered for. The stock unit was engineered for minimal NVH, like almost all factory air intakes are. The aftermarket performance units are MUCH louder, and some people don't like that. My question would be what the hell those people are buying that particular car for in that case. GM isn't alone in this game. Look at the SE or Zetec intake compared to the SVT cone setup. Obviously they could make something that performed better (SVT) but installed the normal one instead, for NVH reasons.

You know, that brings up a question. Why doesn't the factory give the owner an option on some cars as to what type of intake they want? HP or Quite. If they want HP, charge them $600 premium for it or something along those lines. On a car like the G8, it would make sense....+ ~15hp could be a nice sales point.

Agreed.... ppl don't see that at least they have an option I wish somebody would make a cai for the older SHOs I would pay 190 in a heartbeat

hell, nobody even makes a true CAI for the 3S. And if i want a CARB approved intake setup I have to pay $200 to $300 for what is nothing more than a MAF adapter and filter. thankfully i dont care if its CARB approved since i dont live in CA, but I still have to pay $80 for MAF adapter and generic cone filter. If i want a cone filter and a heat shield I have to $170.

hell, nobody even makes a true CAI for the 3S. And if i want a CARB approved intake setup I have to pay $200 to $300 for what is nothing more than a MAF adapter and filter. thankfully i dont care if its CARB approved since i dont live in CA, but I still have to pay $80 for MAF adapter and generic cone filter. If i want a cone filter and a heat shield I have to $170.

I hear you man, I had to make my own home made intakes, unfortunately there never was and will never be a market for the third gen SHOs.. I'm glad that with the contour there is some choices when it comes to after market stuff

You know, that brings up a question. Why doesn't the factory give the owner an option on some cars as to what type of intake they want? HP or Quite. If they want HP, charge them $600 premium for it or something along those lines. On a car like the G8, it would make sense....+ ~15hp could be a nice sales point.

That's somewhat what they did with the last Bullit, is it not? I thought it had an extra 15 HP because of the intake and reprogramming, in addition to the appearance items? I see what you're saying though.

My father said the same thing years ago with dual exhaust on trucks. Down here, probably half of the owners of brand new trucks go and get some form of dual exhaust installed or made, so why not just offer it for a few hundred extra. I believe it was $450 for my custom fabricated true duals that I had, so offer a mass produced upgrade option for $500. Hell, the dual mode exhaust on my father's Corvette was a $1200 option for an extra whopping 6 HP and it's not even loud (until you remove the fuse or pull the vacuum tubes).

yes, the CAI had to be redesigned, at least to fit a Cougar. after cutting out most of my fender, the CAI could not be made to fit. the elbow shouldn't be much of a restriction, given the 3" diameter. you have more to worry about with the metal pipe getting hot, defeating the purpose of the CAI, so insulate it however you can.

Back